It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN - Chill in the White House Briefing Room

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Think the cold war is over? Think that Russia is a freedom loving place?
Think that Russia is really free and wants us (USA) free? Think again.
This is just a small opening ... a small crack .. a look behind the thin
layer of paint that has been splashed ontop of some rotten framing ...

CNN - Chill in the White House Briefing Room

WASHINGTON (CNN) –It was what diplomats might call a "frank exchange of views," as White House spokesman Robert Gibbs got into a Cold War-style tiff with a Russian reporter Thursday about whether American freedoms go too far and may have led to the tragic shooting in Tucson.

In one of the most surreal moments I have ever seen in nearly seven years covering the beat, Andrei Sitov of the Itar-Tass News Agency pressed Gibbs at his daily briefing about whether "the quote, unquote 'freedom' of a deranged mind to react in a violent way is also American" like the freedom of speech and the right to assembly.

Gibbs, clearly ticked off by what appeared to some reporters in the briefing room to be a lecture by the Russian reporter just days after the horrific massacre in Tucson, bluntly declared that the tragedy was caused by the "deranged actions of a madman."

The outgoing press secretary then abruptly ended the news conference, which had the whiff of a tense Cold War exchange - all that was missing was a shoe being pounded on a table in the White House briefing room.

WTH??? Take another look - "the quote, unquote 'freedom' of a deranged mind to react in a violent way is also American" like the freedom of speech and the right to assembly. - man ... this could mean so many things. It' comes across rather snippy against our freedoms. Especially since the Russian reporter went on to complain about our freedom to carry arms and to keep the population armed.

Sitov said Americans do not seem to want to face that there needs to be stricter gun control measures if another tragedy is to be avoided.

I'm thinking that the Russian gov't still has a mightly tight grip on the Russian citizens and they are scared to death to think that of an armed populace .. a populace that could revolt against their power ...

Anyways, check it out. Looks to me like there is more behind these words than just words.
There is a feeling. There is a motivation. There could be agenda.
The Russian gov't is still very strong over there and there is no way that this is 'just a reporter'.
I'm sure the Russian gov't checks everyone out and only allows those who they really like to
go to the USA ... let alone go to the White House briefing room.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Im confused as to how this has to do anything with the Russian govt. This is a journalist from Russia asking a question based on his belief that gun control could help reduce violent outbursts such as that which occurred in the Tucson. It has nothing to do with the Russian state, and I'm not sure how it brings back the "chill" of the cold war. It's just some Russian guy...

Talk about racism...wth kind of stereotyping is this?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure the opinions of a Russian journalist doesn't reflect the stance of the Russian government, or even has the capacity to portray cold war.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by asperetty
Talk about racism...wth kind of stereotyping is this?

Do you understand the word 'racism'? Apparently not.

Originally posted by LipanConjuring86
I'm pretty sure the opinions of a Russian journalist doesn't reflect the stance of the Russian government,

I'm pretty sure the opinions of the journalist DO.
That's what I'm saying ... being the paranoid conspiracist that I am ...
Considering that this fella wouldn't be there without the Russian gov't approving it ..
Considering his attitude towards our freedoms and his wanting US citizens disarmed ..

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
As an international observer to the American nut jobs running around with guns blowing people away it sounds like a fair call.
edit on 20-1-2011 by kwakakev because: spelling 'it'

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
It is a touchy subject and Gibbs handled this one quite well.

That Russian was out of line. He must have been trolling IRL.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I would think everyone in usa is already under electronic mind control, so do not talk about how russians do this and that.

Police need crimes to survive do they not?

Enough said.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Well, i dont own a gun myself, having had the Canadian goverment sieze them ten years or so ago.
But i do know where i can get one should the SHTF.
The problem is not with gun ownership, but with the paranoid fixation of those who dont have one.They fear those who do.This fear is fostered by goverment, and played upon constantly.
The russians have a lot of loose weapons in their own country, and should they all be taken out of their hiding spots and brandished against the goverment, i would not be surprised to find that there are as many armed Ruskies as Americans
.I think their weapons would be far more military in nature, and include far more fully auto ones.
Where do you suppose all those left over ww2 guns went after the war?
They were lying around from the western border of Russia almost to Moscow.....
I have no doubt that the russian people have a great big stash of them, buried safely away in hopes of someday making the country truely free......

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The Russian reporter was quite right and pretty much everyone outside of the United States seems to think so.

I disagree, how you think this is somehow to do with the Russian government, let alone, invoking the Cold War. I don't see it all. Gibbs just got miffed because the truth hurts. Would it be any different if a reporter who wasn't Russian had said the same thing?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
1) unsure how 'free' the Russian people are. doubt if many high-profile media types are allowed to be too critical of Vlad & co. presumably not as tightly controlled as cold war era but I seriously doubt they're as 'free' as ours.

2) gun ownership is a basic right. any society that outlaws them is not truly 'free'.

and, no, America probably isn't truly 'free' itself. try to find some empty land, clear it, plant some crops, build a cabin...you'd be trespassing and violating any number of environmental and building code statutes. and don't forget those property taxes!!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Your post is ridiculous, FlyersFan. A reporter asked a question (a stupid question at that, considering the gunman is in custody), and here you are, chicken-littling about the return of the Cold War.
edit on 20-1-2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Your post is ridiculous, FlyersFan. A reporter asked a question (a stupid question at that, considering the gunman is in custody), and here you are, chicken-littling about the return of the Cold War.
edit on 20-1-2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

considering the recent Russian aggression in Georgia, and the general belligerence of the Russian state, I think we are in, or headed in the direction of, a new cold war.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I'm thinking that the Russian gov't still has a mightly tight grip on the Russian citizens and they are scared to death to think that of an armed populace .. a populace that could revolt against their power ...

I'm in the UK and I think there should be gun control laws in the US, too.

2nd line.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Gun control, we are still on this ridiculous subject as a nation?

The only people who want to disarm American citicens are the people who want America destroyed.

You cant take over a country, or start a war with a country, when most of its citizens are armed to the teeth, but if you take away all their guns, it makes things much easier.

They are Russians, they have a totally different mindset then we have here in the west, and its a good thing(for us).

That said, a Crazy person that wants to kill, will kill, with or without a gun. Guns are not the only weapons in the world.
Id rather get shot then stabbed to death by a rusty fork over and over again. Lets talk about Rusty Fork Control, they are just as deadly(or, we can actually talk about issues that actually matter in this world).

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

You cant take over a country, or start a war with a country, when most of its citizens are armed to the teeth, but if you take away all their guns, it makes things much easier.

This is part of the paranoid delusion that is so wrong with America, have you forgotten about all the nuclear bombs? That is more than enough of a deterrent for any country not to invade, not to mention the massive army. Besides if you really want to take over a country you start with the banks, media and other social infrastructure like the IMF does.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Do you have any idea what kind of damage america has left and is creating still in Europe?
Enough of the anti russian standing please.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Do you have any idea what kind of damage america has left and is creating still in Europe?

1) assisting France and England in WWI. shoulda let the Kaiser win.
2) ditto WWII.
3) Marshall Plan. shoulda let them fix their own economies without american $.
4) Cold War protection against the Soviets. shoulda let Stalin waltz in.
5) securing oil supplies from the middle east. let the europeons get their own oil.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

I suppose a more accurate phrase would have been:

"Do you have any idea what kind of damage america has left and is creating still in the Middle East? "

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

1) assisting France and England in WWI. shoulda let the Kaiser win.
2) ditto WWII.
3) Marshall Plan. shoulda let them fix their own economies without american $.
4) Cold War protection against the Soviets. shoulda let Stalin waltz in.
5) securing oil supplies from the middle east. let the europeons get their own oil.

1) There is no indication that the Kaiser would have won without US support. That war was pretty much over when the US decided to show up.
2) Sure, I'll give you that, although that war wouldn't have been won without ... the Soviet Union. Without the eastern front where most casualties fell, my name would probably be Hansl and I would be writing this post with a bratwurst in my hand.
3) Thanks for that. Still, the US got a nice buffer in return against the Soviet Union. Hell, we still have US nukes on our territory. These nukes aren't ment as a defense, but rather as a threat.
4) See previous comment.
5) Europeans have their own oil: Norway, Nigeria (BP), and Russia are all suppliers of crude.

Don't get me wrong, I live in Western Europe and am glad that I didn't have to live under Soviet rule. However, the idea that the US got involved just "to save us" is historically inaccurate.

new topics

top topics

join