It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domino's Pizza Receives $12 Million Government Bailout While Experts Warn of Global Food Riots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Domino's Pizza Receives $12 Million Government Bailout While Experts Warn of Global Food Riots

shatterlimits.com

While food riots have begun emerging across the globe as a result of surging food prices, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has decided to funnel 12 million dollars into the popular pizza chain Domino’s Pizza, in what has become known as a secret government bailout. The bailout came from an organization known as Dairy Management, a marketing creation of the USDA.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Why would a fast food chain require money from a government backed entity? Shouldn't the government be more concerned about the production of crop if the reason for this "bailout" was under the context of rising food prices? I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure what to make of this story. I just don;t understand what the purpose is for for the government or any subsidiary agency of it to take a vested interest in a food chain such as Dominos. Yes, maybe if they placed our resources into some agricultural enterprise then maybe I could understand, I could at least make sense of it. But Dominos? What's up with this? Their pizza isn't even that great. Tons of MSG, already tons of cheese...stingy on the sauce!!! I say boycott Dominos. It's all about Big O's. If you don't know Big O's Pizzeria, then the best thing you can do is buy from Papa Johns...at least they make some sexy sauce for their pizzas. THis is absurd!

shatterlimits.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
12million? Wow, I've seen more worthwhile businesses go bankrupt and shut down without so much as an offer of aid. Not that I have something against Domino's but it just seems odd that instead of investing on basic gredients such as crops they're paying a substantial sum to a pizza chain.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
It might be to save some American jobs.
I saw that story yesterday and that is the only reason I can think of.
They do employ a fair amount of people so it might be a plausible reason.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Maby the government like's pizza ? at there late night in the office planing on how to take over the world?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
It would almost be worth it if they would atleast put a little effort into their food quality. Right now it's about a half step above Alpo.

These bailouts make no sense. Why is Dominos too big to fail? Who makes these decisions?

It seems to me that they are trying to "buy" something in every market. Control more food, what you can drive, how long to shower, how many freaking squares of toilet paper you need per restroom visit, etc. etc. etc.

I shutter to think where all this will end...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
$12mil to a major pizza chain?? that's chump change in the big scheme of things, even for dominoes. probably a favor being paid back. in recent years lots of cash has been gifted from our gov. to some really rediculous endeavors.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

No, no, no! There is no justification for a bailout of any company. That is not how it is supposed to work. If dominoes goes under and people lose jobs, then Joe schmoe's pizza joint will pop up like sharks teeth to replace and fulfill the need if any for s# pizza. You had you're chance give it up. We are so lost.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
First of all, the government nor the USDA gave one cent to dominoes. It is a collection of dairy farmers who use the USDA as a tax shelter by pouring their collective monies into developing new outsources for their product. Do a little more research before you believe some BS on a blogsite.
Second, my family owns Dairy farms and are a part of the Dairy Management partnership. Usually it is smaller ie. non-corporate farmers that invest in their own futures by pooling their funds for various publicity campaigns as well as micro loans to other small farmers.

P.S. This story is over 2 months old. where have you people been??

slice.seriouseats.com...
edit on 20-1-2011 by redbarron626 because: addendum

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

At Dominos??

Sorry. Ihad to!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by curious7

I am sure Dominoes had to bust their arses to get this bailout.. I am actually glad to see a business that is NOT a bank or Govt. motors get some help.

I am not saying that mom and pop shops shouldn't receive it also.. or should..

Simply put.. Dominoes didn't just get a phone call.."hey dominoes, do you want money" . Don't blame a guy for doing everything in his power to stay in business... Blame the lazy arses sitting there whining "why didn't we get a bailout?"

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
What a joke.

Domino's needed a bailout? Well, I can kinda see why. Where I live, our local pizza place does awesome pizzas, tons of toppings, non-greasy, $10 for a regular. Certain days they even throw in a free garlic bread (Homemade, by the way). Meanwhile Domino's has a $6 pizza, "regular" is more like "small" and the toppings are almost non-existent. Plus, they taste like cardboard.

Why didn't the government invest the $12 million into some kind of community gardening project or something? Or invest the $12 million into researching better school lunches for kids?

Well, I guess without the junk and the chemicals it's harder to control the masses, huh.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

I don't understand what you are trying to say. You link a blog that could possibly be stretching the cheese, I mean truth a bit and then you say that the money actually comes from Farmers like yourself.

I haven't met many farmers who go out of their way to promote businesses who sell cheese. I am a cheese fanatic like all Americans, is there a problem getting cheese off the shelves?

Perhaps this is all being purposely hidden because the thoughts that we cannot buy non-pasteurized whole milk and milk fat doesn't make sense and then to hear that Americans need to eat more cheese or that the farmers need to invest to get more of their product out there.

Are you receiving money from the Gov't for your efforts? Is this a reinvestment of profit?

I just don't get it, even if this thread is several month old what part of this are you wanting us to understand?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Resurrectio
reply to post by curious7

I am not saying that mom and pop shops shouldn't receive it also.. or should..

The Mom and Pop store isn't going to have the big lawyers that a big corporation like Domino's has. Plus, a handful of Mom and Pop stores that are struggling vs. a worldwide fast-food machine with thousands of stores going under is going to have more economic impact should it go into bankruptcy, which is what they'd argue... give us $12 million and you prevent a few thousand people lining up at the dole queue.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SerialLurker

Seems to make sense to me.. If saving them ..saves thousands of job.. Please point out the negative there?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

I don't think you understand what Redbarron was trying to say.

Domino's uses a TON (well, actually a few million tons) of cheese. Cheese is made from milk. Milk comes from America's dairy farmers. Dairy farmers put money into an account used for helping other farmers and (as demonstrated here) securing their continues jobs/service.
If Dominos were to fail, they would buy no more cheese, so the demand for milk would go down and the dairy farmers would suffer.

At least that's what I got from his post.
edit on 20-1-2011 by TXRabbit because: transcendental-relapse

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Resurrectio

Well, from a purely economic and social welfare standpoint there is nothing to lose by bailing them out, really. But then you have to ask, by keeping yet another fast food company in business, are they setting up other aspects of their government (such as health care) up for problems later down the track? Maybe they should have spent the money implementing college preparation courses for low-socio-economic areas so that these people don't have to rely on places like Domino's for employment...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
In a true capitalist society no one should be getting bailed out. Capitalism without the fear of bankruptcy is like Christianity without the fear of hell. It doesnt' work. No bailouts. Stand or fall on your own merit and the merit of your product.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
According to this website, who is quoting the New York Times, the money is coming from the USDA and not the Farmers, although a fee is being assessed on the Farmers and their Affiliates.

The American Pundit

So either our Farmer is saying the Government is not involved or he is saying they are footing the bill through the Government??? Sorry, I am still not getting it, it sounds to me after reading the article that yes, the Government is actually giving Fast Food Chains money so they can push "lower fat contained Cheese" to consumers.

Where is all our Milk fat going anyways? We as consumers are not allowed to buy it so who has it and where is it going? Why would Raw Milk be illegal if it is so healthy for us?

I know they say that bacteria is why they have made Raw Milk illegal, but to what extent and for what purpose? Come on back farmer! Tell us where the Fat is really going. Do we discard it?

Here is an article that says that milk fat is becoming lower and lower in dairy cows because of the food they are feeding the cows. Is this why there is this major cover-story? To cover the fact that we are feeding the cows insufficiently and the milk they produce is "insufficient"?

Today's Products: Milk Fat Solution

If I had a product that was "insufficient" I guess I would pay a ton of bucks and reach out to some Fast Food Nightmare and pay them to push the junk (speaking sarcastically). I don't trust the Government at all over our food products, especially over Milk which is the most vital nutrient for Life for all Mammals--Mammary Glands, Mammals...sure sounds like one goes with the other! (again speaking sarcastically)

top topics

join