It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I never installed seti@home because...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I heard that in fact it's use by the nsa and echelon to "listen" the web...
What's your opinion ?

posted on Mar, 19 2003 @ 04:33 PM
link   
where did you hear that at?

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I use seti a lil bit and after not useing it they sent me a email-

This is an exciting time for SETI@home.
On March 18-20 2003 we travel to the Arecibo radio telescope
to re-observe the most promising "candidates" produced by our search so far.
There is a chance that these new observations will yield
the first real evidence of extraterrestrial life.
Thanks for being part of this history-making effort!
According to our records, you have processed 72 work units,
the most recent on October 14, 2002.
Your contribution of computer time to SETI@home is greatly appreciated.

It may be a lil late to post this but anyone on the board get one of these? I did recieve untouched work units perhaps I helped find something good.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I received one too, just the posts and units were different. I keep mine running though.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Sweet K_OS

I have currently 84 data units fin. and 1901 hrs/47min/44.4 secs complete. If they are listening to me all they heat is my MP3 jammin to 70's music with some zainy 80 tunes. LoL

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I have 153 work units completed and 7804hrs and never recieved any letters or anything else,I set seti for screensaver mode and have never had a problem.

posted on Apr, 3 2003 @ 03:38 PM
link   
BikerGRG, Welcome to ATS Seti Section 9-80014-niner.

As our newest recruit you get latrine duty...

Jokes aside, I think its cool that you have that many work units completed, mine is at 91 finished units and 2024 hrs.

[Edited on 3-4-2003 by Lurker]

posted on Apr, 5 2003 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Up to 93 and 2085hrs, Have any of you guys checked out the maps they show at the site? Link

setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu...

#
At this link is a favorite of mine.

Intergalactic Fantastic
at bottom of page.
www.space.com...

[Edited on 5-4-2003 by Lurker]

[Edited on 5-4-2003 by Lurker]

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 03:51 AM
link   
OH man cannot wait to break onehundred units. I am currently at 97 units and 2197 hrs. But it will be 98 in a couple hrs. Is this hacker problem going to be a big one, as onesack typed earlier they fixed it. but its hackers we are talking about, they want a challenge.

WOOOHOOO!!!

Broke 100 yay

[Edited on 14-4-2003 by Lurker]

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Unfortunately hackers will always be a problem, regardless of the software or its intended use. They're just part and parcel of the Net.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'm afraid of people using my computer. That is the whole reason I never did seti@home. Whenever I hear a harddrive spin, I jump up to see if it is something innocent. I don't need any further jumping ups.

who

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I dont worry about it too much, although I probably should. I use the program all the time, but my cable modem first goes through my Netgear router that has a built in Firewall. I also run Norton Internet Security and Norton Antivirus. This all may be useless, but at least it slows them down. I also have all other ports shut down to any traffic.

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I regard Seti@Home to be completely safe and honest in it's use. Unfortunately with the growing threat of hackers you need to be ever vigilant. Closing all unused ports and running software like Norton Anti-Virus is a must. A personal firewall is not always a good idea especially if you use 'free' ones with some areas of the software disabled or not working to full capacity as is can create more open doors to your box.

who

posted on Jul, 24 2003 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I figure if someone wants to get into your computer bad enough, they will get in. The only way to be totally sure is to disconnect your modem or cable. What do you mean by "free" firewalls? I meant the firewall built into my router and the firewall on Norton Internet security, I run both all the time.

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well i run Seti as well, and my spybot search and destroy program keeps finding something in the Seti software, that i cant delete, and is not hameless cookies! Anyone find a simmilar prob there?

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I've been running the Seti@home since 7/06. I run Spybot daily and it hasn't found any problems with Seti. I've processed 14 units so far - 70 hours and 17 minutes.

who

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I am currently at 380 units in 2788 hours, my spy bot has never found anything in seti. You know that spybot finds a ton of files that are not really problems, right? They tell you that it can delete files that your computer actually needs. Be careful using it, I learned the hard way. Now I look at every file before i delete it. That program actually found winamp3 to be a problem it wanted to delete.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I've been running Seti@home for 2 years now (814 units in 13906 hrs), and never encountered any probs with it. I have a traffic scanner on my system which shows all incoming and outgoing traffic, nothing untoward coming out of Seti

top topics

join