It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of dead octopuses wash up on Portugal beach

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Thousands of dead octopuses wash up on Portugal beach

news.bbc.co.uk

Thousands of dead octopuses have washed up on a beach in northern Portugal, in what is being called an environmental disaster.

They cover a 5-mile stretch of Vila Nova de Gaia beach - no reason has yet been found for their appearance.

The authorities have warned the public not to eat them.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
So now we can add Octopus to the ever growing list of mass deaths.

Now my view on all the die offs within the sea are that they could be link to the Deep Water Disaster.

I'm not to sure about the birds/cows/buffalo though.

So what do you guy's think to all this? Is it enough now to make you all question what the hell is going on around the world?

There have been some laim excuses for the die offs.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

They cover a 5-mile stretch of Vila Nova de Gaia beach - no reason has yet been found for their appearance.

The authorities have warned the public not to eat them.
If they had been killed by the cold then I guess they would be fine to eat. So what killed them?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Thank you for posting the video. I alway have trouble doing it so don't bother anymore.

The thing to ask is has this happened in the past due to cold temps/weather??
I'm off to see what i can dig up with regards to past events like this.

EDIT: Well Ive searched google news, I looked for articles dated from 1900 - 2009 and did come across an article. Only problem is....you need to purchase it to read it!!!!

Link

The article focuses more on the seal's, but when it came up in the google search it dose mention octopus. This article is from November 14th 1997.
edit on 20/1/11 by boo1981 because: Add link to article found

edit on 20/1/11 by boo1981 because: Grrr broken link

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
This is the second time this article has popped up.

The problem is, this is over one year old.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
This is the second time this article has popped up.

The problem is, this is over one year old.

Yes your right, i never noticed that, My bad. So i guess it will not be linked to the Deep Water Disaster then. But the article i found talks about the El Nino.

Thank you for pointing this out.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Telling people not to eat them is a safety precaution as they don't know exactly what killed them yet, that's all, nothing sinister ;-)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Thought i would look into the El Nino and found this on NOAA

NOAA

What is the difference between La Niña and El Niño?

El Niño and La Niña are extreme phases of a naturally occurring climate cycle referred to as El Niño/Southern Oscillation. Both terms refer to large-scale changes in sea-surface temperature across the eastern tropical Pacific. Usually, sea-surface readings off South America's west coast range from the 60s to 70s F, while they exceed 80 degrees F in the "warm pool" located in the central and western Pacific. This warm pool expands to cover the tropics during El Niño, but during La Niña, the easterly trade winds strengthen and cold upwelling along the equator and the West coast of South America intensifies. Sea-surface temperatures along the equator can fall as much as 7 degrees F below normal.

What are the global impacts of La Niña?

Both El Niño and La Niña impact global and U.S. climate patterns. In many locations, especially in the tropics, La Niña (or cold episodes) produces the opposite climate variations from El Niño. For instance, parts of Australia and Indonesia are prone to drought during El Niño, but are typically wetter than normal during La Niña.

Is there such a thing as "normal", aside from El Niño and La Niña?

Over the long-term record, sea-surface temperatures in the central and eastern tropical Pacific diverge from normal in a roughly bell-curve fashion, with El Niño and La Niña at the tails of the curve. Some researchers argue there are only two states, El Niño and non-El Niño, while others believe either El Niño or La Niña is always present to a greater or lesser degree. According to one expert, NCAR's Kevin Trenberth, El Niños were present 31% of the time and La Niñas 23% of the time from 1950 to 1997, leaving about 46% of the period in a neutral state. The frequency of El Niños has increased in recent decades, a shift being studied for its possible relationship to global climate change.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Here are some figures for thought en.wikipedia.org... Now take into account that 80% of our ocean pollution is land based. I'm not sure how many spills in the Wiki list would be considered land based, but either way the numbers are staggering.
One thing about octopusses is that they're extremely fragile creatures. Having had salt aquariums for many yrs I know they do not do well in captivity, never had one but I know this to be true.

I don't know why the list doesn't come up with the link? If you click on the third link down "search for list of oil spills in existing articles" there you'll find the list.
edit on 20-1-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

Thank you for providing that like, i will have a look at it later.

Second line!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Massive death totals are becoming the norm any more! Make's you wonder if they know something that we don't, scary thought hhuh. Wish the smart lab geeks would figure out a source for the mass deaths!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Its now getting eerilly weird and to odd to be the norm,and if anybody thinks its normal they must be asleep or drinking lithium tainted water.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It's the inevitable 1000's of people die with no explanation, that worries me.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by boo1981

octopuses??? surley its octopi no?

2nd

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
i don't know guys.Im scared to sh*t by this.
I'ts been already mammals and birds and sea animals.
It's quite a diverse range of creatures that just pop up dead.Doesn't seem normal to me.

But i remember at the same time about the fires in russia last year,we all thought it was the end.
And yeah,we're still here.

But im still scared

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Delish! mmm barbequed with a dash of lemon YUM!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder
octopuses??? surley its octopi no?

I thought so too, so I looked it up

There are three plural forms of octopus: octopuses [ˈɒktəpəsɪz], octopi [ˈɒktəpaɪ], and octopodes [ˌɒkˈtəʊpədiːz]. Currently, octopuses is the most common form in the UK as well as the US; octopodes is rare, and octopi is often objectionable

Chambers 21st Century Dictionary[9] and the Compact Oxford Dictionary[10] list only octopuses, although the latter notes that octopodes is "still occasionally used"; the British National Corpus has 29 instances of octopuses, 11 of octopi and 4 of octopodes. Merriam-Webster 11th Collegiate Dictionary lists octopuses and octopi, in that order; Webster's New World College Dictionary lists octopuses, octopi and octopodes (in that order).

Fowler's Modern English Usage states that "the only acceptable plural in English is octopuses," and that octopi is misconceived and octopodes pedantic.

en.wikipedia.org...

English ;lol: what a mixed up language

1 goose 2 geese
1 moose 2 moose
1 mouse 2 mice
1 house 2 houses

Yep all makes sense
My friend from India always gets upset when I tell him he has mouses in his hice

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by metodex
i don't know guys.Im scared to sh*t by this.
I'ts been already mammals and birds and sea animals.
It's quite a diverse range of creatures that just pop up dead.Doesn't seem normal to me.

But i remember at the same time about the fires in russia last year,we all thought it was the end.
And yeah,we're still here.

But im still scared

Wait until they get tests done before these die offs scare you. Lot's of hysteria surrounding this. Lot's of meaningless hype also.

These so called massive events are actually tiny numbers even when added together. Likely have been going on all along and it's seems like more because those bird deaths go so much interest everyone and the media spend all day looking for them. People are panicking before they even know why they died. It's nutty how people are wanting test results and answers as if the dead animals come complete with all the tests done and paid for. I think this is just as normal and natural as weather changes are. Add them all together and it is still a tiny event.

This is just like those who first discover how many earthquakes there are every day and year. They panic for no reason not realizing how normal it is. It's just this information overload we have. All these Sites trying to come up with unique stories to attract readers and of course they hype them up, when should not even post them until they have real answers instead of wild speculation or hysterical reactions.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Who the hell in the right mind would eat a dead octopus they found on the beach?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is yet another horror. Guys please check out this thread, it has some good information on what could be causing all this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

F&S on this post op

top topics

<<   2 >>

join