It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Zombie Virus" Possible via Rabies-Flu Hybrid?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

"Zombie Virus" Possible via Rabies-Flu Hybrid?

news.nationalgeographic.com

Combine rabies with the ability of a flu virus to spread quickly through the air, and you might have the makings of a zombie apocalypse.
It's theoretically possible—though extremely difficult—to create a hybrid rabies-influenza virus using modern genetic-engineering techniques, the University of Miami's Andreansky said.

"Sure, I could imagine a scenario where you mix rabies with a flu virus to get airborne transmission, a measles virus to get personality changes, the encephalitis virus to cook your brain with fever"—and thus increase aggression even further—"and throw in the e
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cdc.gov

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Though the news article helps to discourage a world of walking dead, could this ever be an emerging infectious disease to be engineered by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention?
Stay informed with the Emerging Infectious Diseases page on the CDC website.
The website is posted below. Hopefully.

news.nationalgeographic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Its a scary throught unlikely but, scary never the less
With all these zombie films it amazing to think it actully is possible to actully be zombie like.It would be terror if this virus was created spreading havoc all over the world.To think that this virus can actully be created is a terrifying throught.So next time you look outside there may be a zombie acalaypse right at you're doorstep.

edit on 20-1-2011 by keelan55 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
rabies flu?? No problem... theyd burn out real quick and the zombie apocalypse would be over before you got through your first case of MRE's.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by heathenfinity127

Oct 27, 2010.

This is "Broken" News.

Hail Cobra!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Do not worry a thing. If this were to happen it would be way to fast and noticeable. If this was to happened we have Will Smith on our case, hiding in bath tubs and whatnot to find a cure...

Just joking, but seriously zombies and ghouls are the least of our problems. Seriously what kills Humans will be slow and steady, and not swift and quick. It could be 'in the water', or 'in the air'... And would take time to develope.. Like a cancer or infertility.

What better way to kill an entire species than to just make them unable to reproduce.
edit on 20-1-2011 by Aoxoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aoxoa
Do not worry a thing. If this were to happen it would be way to fast and noticeable. If this was to happened we have Will Smith on our case, hiding in bath tubs and whatnot to find a cure...

Just joking, but seriously zombies and ghouls are the least of our problems. Seriously what kills Humans will be slow and steady, and not swift and quick. It could be 'in the water', or 'in the air'... And would take time to develope.. Like a cancer or infertility.

What better way to kill an entire species than to just make them unable to reproduce.
edit on 20-1-2011 by Aoxoa because: (no reason given)

Yes, and many agree with you.

"We must speak more clearly about sexuality, contraception, about abortion, about values that control population, because the ecological crisis, in short, is the population crisis. Cut the population by 90% and there aren't enough people left to do a great deal of ecological damage."
—Mikhail Gorbachev

Childbearing should be a punishable crime against society, unless the parents hold a government license. All potential parents should be required to use contraceptive chemicals, the government issuing antidotes to citizens chosen for childbearing."

—David Brower, first Executive Director of the Sierra Club

"Frankly I had thought that at the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of."

—Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

“In South America, the government of Peru goes door to door pressuring women to be sterilized and they are funded by American tax dollars to do this.”

—Mark Earley in The Wrong Kind of Party Christian Post 10/27 2008

and on and on and on....

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Hmmm.....posted January 3rd 2011:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But yeah, what a way to create depopulation, make some sterile through disease or kill them off thriugh side effects of such a thing. A naturally occuring disease or strain of flu like that would be scary enough but to know it could be man made? Even worse.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Is this a new movie coming out soon or what, lol zombies, i guess i ahve to get some holy water and a warhammer eheheheh

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
theres a documentary on nat geo channel called "THE TRUTH ABOUT ZOMBIES" and some sciencey type was saying "if rabies went airborne you would have the rage virus" i dunno if it could happen but doesn't the bible talk of the dead rising in the last days? just something to think about

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by toddy3174
theres a documentary on nat geo channel called "THE TRUTH ABOUT ZOMBIES" and some sciencey type was saying "if rabies went airborne you would have the rage virus" i dunno if it could happen but doesn't the bible talk of the dead rising in the last days? just something to think about

Rabies doesnt resurrect the dead.

Youd definitely NOT have the rage virus if it was airborne since it can already be airborne... which effects some animals whens its concentrated, but not humans. There were 2 cases of suspected human exposure but were later proven not to be airborne. There are several variants of the virus, but theyre all pretty similar and NONE cause resurrection of the dead or reanimation of anything whatsoever.

Symptoms of rabies start something between 10 days and up to 12 months after exposure in humans but the average is something like 30 days. There are 2 forms of rabies.. the rage/violent and the stupor/dumb. The virus travels along the nerve cells until it hits the brain.Also duirng that 10 day to one year time period... the person isnt able to expose anyone else to the virus hasnt reached the salivary glands to be transmitted through saliva.. a bite or spit in the eyes or an open wound. Death is inevitable after it has reached the nerve tissue resulting in the strange behavior... but the person can be treated and cured at any time during the incubation period. There is some debate on incubation periods after exposure but the average is 30 days, like I said.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add.. after the symptoms are present youre dead within 10 days.. most die within 3. Also airborne and aerosol ways to transmit are totally different things.
As you can see, rabies, flu rabies, whatever rabies does not a zombie apocalypse make.

edit on 20-1-2011 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
who's doing these test's umbrella corp lol
all sounds a bit resident evil to me

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Isnt rabies supposed to kill you? Correct me if Im wrong but dont you need to already be dead to 'become one of them'?

Rabies will eventually kill its host. Zombies walk around dead forever.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewJay

also, if this virus was airborne everyone that wasnt wearing a hazmat suit would be done for almost immediately, therefore it would be more of an extinction than anything

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I see that no one reads posts ....

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by heathenfinity127

Its a hades controlled behavior the real 1 atleast. Rage virus is just ill minded all the way around...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Aoxoa

Great so you get Will Smith and we Get Sean of the Dead - Sounds fair lol
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/534448be4e35.jpg[/atsimg]

On a more serious note, the article says that it would extremely difficult with current tech, so does this mean they have tried

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Eh, yeah. Nice idea and it MIGHT work, but with the amount of effort it would actually take I don't see why you'd bother. Lot of fuss which, in the end, would get a lot of people (including the inventor) ill.

Hmm. It might be nice to have the world to myself though...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join