It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green/Blue streak in the sky spotted all over east coast including Upstate South Carolina

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
My daughter and I saw this meteor last night in upstate SC. It was glowing green with a bright tail streaking behind it. I was driving, so no chance to take a picture. Very cool and unexpected sight!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Important information that I did not see yet:

Is the streak "persistant" or did it disappear after less then a minute?

Major information for any analyzes.

Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I must be missing something...

Tell me more on The Agency.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

GOOGLE Agency green fireball. My best directions. W/ an open mind their data could of been infiltrated and minipulated intentionally.
Peace

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sator

Peace

If presistant non meteor?
If less then yes?
Seems it traveled with pretty good observation points from multiple locations. So it had to remain bright for some time.
edit on 1/20/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Seeker Mom

Thank you much for sharing your comments. Hope you post any further
information you may find on the sighting!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Calls reporting the green streak describing it as "like firworks" here again.

Police agencies in Macomb and Oakland counties on Wednesday night received reports of a strange bright green light in the sky along the 12 Mile Road corridor between Gratiot in Roseville and Interstate 75 in Madison Heights.

Callers were telling police they saw what appeared to be an illuminated object falling from the sky “like a firework or shooting star” around 9 p.m. There were no reports of any damage resulting from the alleged falling object.

www.dailytribune.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Reports from many states coming in...

From blog at link above:

Guest926 (guest): Jan 19th, 2011 approx 20:15 saw bright light in sky, meteorite-like object. S Central PA

Guest636 (guest):Amelia Ohio about 10 miles out of Cincinnati OH at about 8:50 pm saw bright flash of white light in the direction of the city of Cincinnati - gave me and one of our dogs pause... any ideas?

Guest546 (guest): Old Fort, NC. ~9:00 pm est January 19,2011. Saw a green ball with fiery tail cross the sky in a downward trajectory.Very large, bright green with long tail.Never seen anything like it! Very exciting!

Reports of similar meteor/meteorite/bright flash sightings coming in in quick succession at the same blog from these locations:

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Lincolnton, North Carolina

Greer, South Carolina

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Lawrenceville, Georgia

King, North Carolina

Macomb, Michigan

Fayetteville, Georgia

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Dacula, Georgia

Houghton Lake, Michigan

Michigan City, Indiana

Windsor, Ontario

Sandusky, Ohio

Clemson, South Carolina

Alpharetta, Georgia

Amelia, Ohio

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Your on to something in your observation of the experts as of late.
Whats gotten into them?

This green streak - meteor most likely - is now on RSOE as

An Event Into Space

An unusually bright shooting star shot across the sky Wednesday night, prompting sighting reports from the Chicago area to Indiana, a local astronomer said. A green-tinted burst was reported by amateur astronomers in LaPorte, Ind., just after 8 p.m.., said Adler Planetarium astronomer Chris Lintott. The shooting star, which was a meteor probably about the size of 10 grains of salt, likely didn't hit the ground or become a meteorite, he said. Meteoroids are pieces of material traveling through space that become meteors when they streak through the Earth's atmosphere and meteorites if they strike the ground. At least one motorist on a Chicago expressway also saw the flash.

hisz.rsoe.hu...
edit on 20-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships
[moreII live on the east coast of sc and did not see it,too many trees in my yard,shoot a whole fleet of ufo's could pass over and I wouldn't know until I read it on ATS.I'm getting the chainsaw out!!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TWILITE22

Dont blame you, I wonder would a telescope help?
Maybe some high tech binoculars?

Be careful with that chain saw!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sator

VERY important info in fact

A spacecraft reentry, especially if there is unused fuel can leave persistant effects, while a meteor is usually a short lived streak

Here is a great one from NASA

NASA Team Captures Hayabusa Spacecraft Reentry
commons.wikimedia.org...:NASA_Team_Captures_Hayabusa_Spacecraft_Reentry.ogg
edit on 20-1-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seeker Mom
My daughter and I saw this meteor last night in upstate SC. It was glowing green with a bright tail streaking behind it. I was driving, so no chance to take a picture. Very cool and unexpected sight!

maybe it was the Tiberian meteor

just saying.

just imagine if the green/blue tiberum actually came true.
edit on 20-1-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Kind of wierd you guys mention The Agency..now Im wondering if I should stay inside for 3 days!!

===Evidence (of our foreknowledge): A fireball [will] enter the atmosphere this year. You will not miss it. It will glow green.
It will most assuredly be televised on every news network across the globe. This fireball is not a meteor. It is part of a larger plan which will precede further artificial astronomical and atmospheric anomalies.
The object has already been launched, and we understand that it cannot be turned back or stopped, which is why we couldn't release this information before today (but now can). We do not know the date of impact with Earth's atmosphere, except that it will be this year.
We do know why it was launched, but we cannot fully reveal that information in this message. If we had written this message before today, the object would not have been launched. But now that the object is on its way, there's no way for it to be turned back.
However, it is necessary that the object is launched for reasons that we cannot disclose at this time. The information we are providing to you now is known by many in the scientific, military and black budget communities, and by certain branches of government.
Our lives are not at risk by divulging this information, as many people know about it. We are divulging the information because we need to establish credibility (with you). We understand that you require some kind of evidence if you are to believe our message and requests. When the fireball enters Earth's atmosphere, you must go inside and stay inside for no less than three days. You need three days supply of water, food and any medication you require, in your home. You need to make sure you do not need to leave your home for three days, for any reason.
If it is imperative that you leave your secure area, you must stay out of sunlight. This message is for the entire population, world wide. The air will be ok for the most part, but you need to stay inside for reasons we cannot disclose. There's no reason to panic or be alarmed if you simply stay inside. Do NOT go outside for any reason. Do not open your doors. Keep them locked. Close the blinds. Keep a TV or radio on. Once this event passes, you will know that you can take what we are saying now, seriously:

wup-forum.com... da49ea88acc3861d2b130db5

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3abd74b94e3c.jpg[/atsimg]

That is an awesome picture! For some reason, it does not look like I thought it would. I expected it to look more like a meteor streaking across the sky.

IMO this photograph bears striking resemblances to a long lived persistent train, although i would not rule out the possibility that it is faked.

Here are some other examples of long lived trains left by bright fireballs:

This is the trail left by a bright fireball over Greenland on the 26th February 2008 click here and use the archive for more info

The following two images are of the dust trail made by the Taggish Lake fireball/meteorite

There seems to be quite a bit of confusion about what a persistent train is, and how long they can last. There are actually a few different kinds of train that meteors and bright fireballs can leave behind them, and in some cases they can last for over an hour.

Here are some definitions from METEROBS

1. METEOR WAKE

A luminosity just behind the meteor. It moves with the meteor
and forms a kind of tail. The wake is often present in bright
fireballs, which are then sometimes described as a comet-like objects
by the witnesses. In this sense, the meteor can be described as
consisting of meteor head and meteor wake. At a given position,
the wake duration is only a fraction of second.

The spectrum of meteor wake is different from the spectrum of meteor
head. The wake spectrum consists chiefly from low excitation lines.
Typical lines belong to Na I, Fe I, Mg I, Ca I, i.e. to the atoms
released from the meteoroid.

After a meteoroid fragmentation, small fragments decelerate more
rapidly and stay behind the main body. They may look like a wake of the
main body but this is not a true head+wake, rather a multiple meteor
with similar spectra in all parts.

2. SHORT-DURATION METEOR TRAINS (OR TRAILS)

Luminous trains left behind the meteor for up to about 3 seconds. They are
often observed visually and by video techniques in fast
meteors like Perseids. They are present also in faint meteors, of
magnitude +4 or so. In fact the ratio of the train/meteor brightness is
larger in faint meteors than in bright meteors. The train is not
connected with the meteor. In fact, it forms at a given position
with some delay after the meteor passage. The the train is also
considerably shifted to higher altitudes than the meteor which produced
it.
The short-duration trains are formed by only one spectral line,
the green auroral lines of neutral atomic oxygen at 5577 A. This
is a forbidden line. The luminosity is produced (very probably) by
the atmospheric oxygen.

3. PERSISTENT LONG-DURATION METEOR TRAINS

Luminous trains left behind the meteor for from 3 seconds up to
more than an hour in rare cases. The trains are self-luminous, i.e.
the luminosity is not produced by reflected sunlight or other external
source. Persistent trains are produced much more easily by fast
meteors. Leonids are very favorable. The typical altitude for train
formation is 90 km. Persistent trains are affected by high altitude
winds and change the shape. Some trains show a hollow structure.

Persistent trains are not well understood objects. Several spectra
have been taken in the recent years, which, surprisingly, looks
differently from case to case. The spectra show both continuous
or quasi-continous radiation and atomic lines. The most important
and most persistent line, common for all spectra, is the sodium line
at 5893 A. This suggests that the long-living luminosity is due
to similar mechanism which produces the sodium airglow. The recent
Leonid train spectrum is similar during the first few seconds to a
meteor wake spectrum. The train formed at the position of meteor flare.
The meteor ablation products therefore played an
important role. Nevertheless forbidden lines of neutral and ionized
oxygen were also reported in some train spectra.

4. DAY TIME DUST TRAINS (OR TRAILS) OF METEORS

Trains observed during the day time or twilight after a passage
of a very bright fireball. They may be visible for more than an hour
and change the shape. These trains are visible in the sunlight reflected
(or absorbed) on the dust debris of the meteoroid. During
the night, they may be visible for a short time due the thermal
radiation of the dust or other mechanisms. Dust trains may be formed
at any altitude, depending on the dust deposition by the fireball.
Of course, more dust is produced by massive objects and they often
explode at an altitude around 30 km.

5. METEOR IONIZATION TRAILS (OR TRAINS)

Trails detected using a reflection of radio waves on a column of free
electrons produced by a passage of a meteor. The relation to the
trains detected by optical methods is not clear.

IMHO the reports I have seen posted on this thread are all fairly typical reports of natural fireballs/meteors. Space junk or debris is usually much slower and longer lasting. Most meteors last under a second, or a few seconds at most.

Weather or not there are more fireball reports than usual is unclear, but I suspect that the reports of late are within the expected norm, which takes into account that there are occasional blips in the number of bright fireballs observed every so often. In my experience this is nothing new. If you search back through ATS there are plenty of similar examples.

Related links:

Meteorite Crashes in Southeast U.S.
edit on 20-1-2011 by C.H.U.D. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Thats some very interesting information you have posted.

Did you check the RSOE link, this was spotted over many states. It must have lasted visual longer
than a few seconds.

I have yet to find a verified photo. The one from WeatherSpace.com is shown as dated January 19th, but it does not state where that picture came from.

If that is an actual picture from last night, it seems to match the long train photo you posted.

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
The one I saw was blue/green. No trail, though. It was moving way too slowly for that.

Too slow to be a meteor

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cib2010
Wow people call the cops for just about anything nowadays, I mean seriously.

Um , They saw a weird object in sky that could've possibly been a UFO or a hi-jacked plane or a military jet of some kind from another country flying over a residential area. Not to mention the fact that it possibly could've been in a no-fly zone. I mean after 9/11 it's better to report strange objects in the sky then just letting them go wherever they without warning anyone of a potentially deadly threat.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Are there any reports of satellites entering the atmosphere? Perhaps this was simply just an old satellite crashing back into earth? while burning up in the atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

This is weird, approximately (im bad with approximations) 1:30pm CMT the power went out to the entire grid on the street I live on and adjacent streets of San Antonio. I walked outside to look and there was no lights or power for blocks, I went up a hill and saw that down the hill there was no lights for more than 5 or 6 blocks! As I was walking down, some security patrol guy drove up to me and asked me which apartments i lived in. I gave him an apartment number. All I could make in the dark was he has a badge that said "Security (my mind draws a blank) on his right arm.

I asked him if he knew what was going on and if he knew any reasons as to what caused this. He told me that he was driving down the road to my apartments and he saw "Two big green sparks" above the area where the generators are. I'm waiting for some news, came on to ATS after to see if anything has been posted, thought this was relevant in a way! So far, nothing has been posted about this incident in the local news. Did anyone else experience that power outage?
edit on 21-1-2011 by LeTan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join