It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Cigarettes Be Made Illegal in the Near Future?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FeeBanks

Tobacco companies will never let this happen, and I for one in this case am a whole lot glad for company lobbyists in this respect! Because if they do acheive this, well, let's just say it will take one good day of PMS and no cigarettes for me, and I will KILL the JERK who had this brilliant idea! I mean it to! They don't wanna see me off the cigarettes and PMSing. It's a darn deadly combination!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
well i don't know about everybody else, but i think that they know that they can't ban smoking out right. so they started to put more and more taxes on them, to make them so expensive, that you cant smoke. i have seen the price of name brand cigarettes, almost double in the past four five years years. the brand i use to smoke, a turish blend, has gone from, if i remember correct, $2.85 in 2008 to $6.00 the last time i checked this year. it seems that there is a price increase every six months, wheter it's fed tax, state tax or increase from mfg's.

i now smoke a brand made by native amercains from new york, the mohawks, that are just pure tobacco, no additives, or so they say. and even then i have cut way back. they were $2.75 when i first started buying them, now the price is $3.75. i think there is some thing to do with fed law that allows native americans to sell products with some exception to taxes. not sure about al lot the facts on this.

so if they tax people out of smoking and people stop buying them what are they going to tax next.
edit on 16-3-2011 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The US Govt and if Obamacare stays, they will have to ban it. It will cost too much to fund medical services on illnesses deemed "avoidable". It is simple math.
So, like Prohibition, they will outlaw. Then production will be moved to Mexico and Canada. Families like the Kennedy's and others will make money on running the border with contraband, like in prohibition.

Make no mistake, the Govt is on a slow control grab.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
I think the tax revenue is far too great for tobacco to be outlawed. At least I hope so, being a smoker and all. "They can have my cigarettes when they pry them from my cold dead fingers". HA!

And cold and dead they will be soon enough - my fellow smoker. It's a terrible habit, but I don't want the govt telling me what to/not to smoke i.e. weed also!!

Besides, do you really think they care about your health? NO, they don't. They just want to tax you to death, end of story.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by asperetty
The tobacco industry is too large and profitable to criminalize. And I like cigarettes, so please don't, or else I'll have to start smuggling them in. And yes, I will if it comes to it.

Agreed.
I don't have anything else to add for my 2nd line.
(except for that)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeeBanks

Will Cigarettes Be Made Illegal in the Near Future?

www.alternet.org

The battle over cigarettes is heating up -- and the momentum to criminalize tobacco smoking continues to build in the United States and around the world.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[This sounds like a do over of the 18th and 21st ammendments to the US Constitution, with second billing to the 16th ammendment. Before the 18th there was no need for personal income tax because taxes on liquor funded the government.]

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
In my opinion , making cigarettes illegal is really good thing,rosetta stone Koreanand it can be very effective in people's health and our environment cleaning.But maybeb it won't be very smoothly in carrying out...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Anyone who supports this should leave America, PERIOD. We don't need you're complacency or social legislating mentality. Prohibition of ALL drugs must cease and only then will America will be land of the FREE. You are not a slave master, neither is the government and I am not a slave. It is that simple and I will die for before submitting.

edit on 16-3-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I'd love for tobacco to become criminalized.

Black market cigarettes are bound to be cheaper and less harmful than the current US trends.
I say bring it on, and I will continue to smoke at my leisure. I'll just hide it. Screw em all. My smoking doesn't influence children. The children's parents do.
The FDR and the millions of automobiles driving around do much more harm to people's lungs than my Second hand Salem smoke.
-walk it off, non smokers. You don't own the air. You have a breathing problem then go get an inhaler and fight the auto companies. Leave the smokers alone. We've put up with all your PC crap for over a decade now. We've stopped smoking in bars, restaurants and the like. How much can you possibly want to control? Go pick on fat people for a while or something.
edit on 16-3-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I say ban tobacco and leagalize weed. Its a fair trade hemp oil could be used as an alternative fuel, grows anywhere so it wouldn't hurt the farming industry. hemp could be used for alot more things then tobacco but its a little off topic.

I smoked for over 15 years almost 20. started around 14 years old. I just quit last holloween. The day of the dead seemed like a good day to quit. I used the E-cigg to stop works real good. I haven't used that in the last 3 months though.

I really didnt quit smoking because I wanted to, I quit because i got sick of paying 10 bucks a pack......
300 bucks a month for smokes got old fast.

I tried the roll your own and got the machine, the tubes and they cost alot less.... but werent the same

so I quit.

Now I got a bunch of money, smell better, I don't cough all the time.

You wanna get back at the gov't and TPTB at the same time quit smoking, You really only paying for your own death in the long run right.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
No, they learned there lesson during prohibition.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
It is funny to see (talks about depopulation plans), but saving lives by banning the tobacco products.

Which way to go..?

I am smoker and probably will die as smoker, it is personal choice. If a non smoker fascist wanted to interact with me then I’ll suggest bringing your mask with or else shut the hell up and move on.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I'll add to the discussion, though a bit late.

I'm a smoker, I get crap all the time from non-smokers. I know it's bad for me, and yes I know it can kill me. I know the stuff they put in most cigarettes isn't just tobacco, I know that other addictive substances are put inside to make it more addicting.

I've experimented with pure tabaco products and felt a strong need tobuy my normal pack of cigs because I didn't feel like the craving was being satisfied with a pure tabaco product.

I realized that a lot of cigarettes must contain other addictive substances which make them further addicting.

I went through hell and back but I'm on a pure product now and I'm finding it easier to cut down, the withdraws aren't as dramatic.

I'd support a law that prohibits additives to cigarettes because it's one of the few products which we do not have ingredients listed. From my personal experience I know that stuff is added to make it more addicting and most likely worse for your health.
edit on 17-3-2011 by oconnection because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirClem

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
I think the tax revenue is far too great for tobacco to be outlawed. At least I hope so, being a smoker and all. "They can have my cigarettes when they pry them from my cold dead fingers". HA!

And cold and dead they will be soon enough - my fellow smoker. It's a terrible habit, but I don't want the govt telling me what to/not to smoke i.e. weed also!!

Besides, do you really think they care about your health? NO, they don't. They just want to tax you to death, end of story.

I'm smoking a fine American Spirit "death stick" right now. HA!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

You are 100% correct. Several years ago when the states sued the tobacco companies, one of the governors who led the charge was Christine Gregoire, governor of Washington. In the middle of the business, she was on a local radio station and was asked by the host what she would do if the tobacco firms, RJR Reynolds, Phillip Morris, etc decided not to sell their products in Washington.

Her response was that she would sue them under anti-trust violations. When the host responded that she obviously wanted tobacco out of Washington and that were they not to sell cigs in the state would that not support her ultimate goal, she responded that the state could not afford to lose the tax revenue. He responded with "then why are you suing them" she had no response. She had no response because the entire business was nothing but grandstanding.

The whole anti-smoking business is a charade. If every smoker stopped tomorrow, the government would be sending you a pack of smokes with your income tax bill, hoping that folks would get hooked.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join