It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Garden/Nature lovers!!! Where art thou!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Well, here we are... just another gardening enthusiast wondering where the rest of y'all hang out?
I haven't been able to find anything much, but there are cooking threads, movies and entertainment etc but no garden-lovin'

Anything good happening in your vegie patch lately???
Wag.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Ugh it's been too cold. But I ripped out some old bell pepper bushes when the sun came out yesterday that I was too lazy to deal with before! That's the extent of my excitement until I get the kick to start some seeds next month. Winter's not too thrilling for garden talk, but it's a good idea to plan your years garden ahead.

edit on 19-1-2011 by kalamatas because: typo

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wagtail

Um...I am an avid gardener and I think that a gardening thread/forum is an excellent idea.

The problem is that right now it's -38 degrees out and not much grows in that. LOL I guess you are in your summer while I am in the winter. But I would love to see what you have going on..

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by wagtail

I used to have quite the green thumb when I lived in Hawaii. When I moved to Southern California and found out how fertile my soil I got really excited. I planted tomatoes, green beans, squash and numerous herb.

Who Knew! I had to deal with moles, rabbits, racoons, skunks, opossums and snakes! None of those animal in live in Hawaii!

I gave up and only to window pots for my herbs and flower pots outside. It's just too frustrating for me.

Good luck to you.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kalamatas

Thanks!
Ha, yeh well they can look pretty untidy - but at least you got some exercise!

(not to mention a warm-up).
It's summer time here and it's pretty humid, my succulents love it but I have this huge Birds Nest fern and it struggles...
maybe not the most partyhard thread of the year ever but maybe with time...?

Wag

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

'avid gardener' fits the requirements nicely!
come on, there's always somethin' doin' at any time of year...
I'm gona get some pics up of my vegie patch soon - got some great lookin' silverbeet in there

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

Hehe, windword, over here possums are enemy!
Also, cockatoos like to chew on just about anything hanging off of my balcony - there's nothing I can do about that!
Thanks for stoppin' by!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wagtail

Crows are the worst, and, they my cats terrorized!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The worst we have are pill bugs, BUT last summer my horseradish were ravaged by bugs I've never seen before of which I identified as Harlequin Bugs.

Creepy lookin' things.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Monsoon season here.. The heavy rains this year been detrimental to my garden ( rains been heavier this year and been cooler as well 25-30c temp range lately)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

what!? do you mean the crows are picking on your cats?!
Cheeky buggers! where do they get off huh? I had one of these black wrought iron cat silhouettes with big colorful glass eyes to keep birds away in my patch, but they just laughed scornfully and continued to eat seedlings!
But the fat possum in the avacado tree on the corner fell off a branch backwards one afternoon and landing straight on it bent the thing in half!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kalamatas

hey that's crazy... I had a gigantic bug that is exactly the same shape only a dark maroon color hanging out in pairs on a small lime/lemon grafted tree!
It's huge, I kid you not- I have no idea how to get rid of it really - I just used a systemic pesticide but now that I think about it that's really the last thing I would want to use on fruit!
I mean, these bugs were so big that when I moved a leaf to have a better look - I swear I heard one of 'em mumble "bugger orf"

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Ah well, I haven't watered this thread so it's fizzled away...

But - I'm sure I'll find something garden related in Fragile Earth forum and that's why I love ATS!

Just for the record, I'm willing to compile together a decent gardening thread asap however while my internet resources are limited (damn work computer only
) I wont be able to offer something people will really enjoy for discussion so 'til then, adieu fellow gardeners!

Wag.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
A fizzling garden thread!!!!

Sounds like it needs a good soaking!

I'm getting my lil cups of dirt together and starting my seeds
I cant wait to start planting. I'm doing a basic veggie patch at my home and co-oping with a co worker. Her tomatoes always turn out beautiful while mine always stay so small and the plants are stunted so I'm going to infiltrate her garden and learn all her her gardening skills

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lostsock

Hi lostsock! Thanks for droppin' in!

mmmtomaaaatoes yum. Seedlings are the best, especially from scratch I reckon, makes 'em so much hardier I guess...

Where do you keep yours? Do you have a little greenhouse or are they just sheltered in a corner?
Sydney is so temperate my neighbors have all theirs sitting snugged up on the back veranda at the moment (I'm assuming they're veggies - maybe cucumbers, not "veggies" hehehe).

Wag

new topics

top topics

join