It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The True Evils Behind Freedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Some of the greatest evils in the world were committed by those who sought freedom. It seems absurd at first, but if you think about it long enough you will come to understand both men and women have committed some of the most deplorable crimes, all in the name of gaining their own freedom. The pursuit of freedom is the one thing we all have in common.

A human being is constantly searching for a way to be free. We feel weighed down by many things throughout our lives. First we seek freedom from oppression and domination. We want to be free from bills and debt. Some people want to be free from responsibilities, free from parents telling them what to do, free from illness, free from incompatible or abusive spouses, free from our bosses. Our minds are preoccupied constantly with plans on how to free ourselves from the burdened lives we lead. We dream about winning the lottery or dream about inventing that one thing which will fill our pockets with millions of dollars. Money is freedom. Money is our way out. Money can buy freedom from bills, from the boss, from being confined to one place, from living below our expectations, and as a result it brings happiness.

What will some do to achieve this dream of freedom? They will cheat you, steal from you, use you, oppress you, sacrifice you, lie to you, step on you on the way up. Their desire to feel free completely overpowers their sense of right and wrong. Once they have reached it, in order to maintain it they may pay politicians to change laws in their favor. Most politicians will comply, because that extra $500,000.00 bonus means they'll be free to buy that Ferrari they've always wanted, or a Yacht to take them out on the water where they can feel free from the world.

For some it isn't enough to have lots of money and a couple of politicians in their pockets. Some want the ultimate freedom, so they take over entire countries and terrorize people into submission. Once they rule a country and it's people, they can make the rules and literally get away with almost anything. That's freedom at it's peak. Intoxicated with the desire for freedom, people like Kim Jong Il, Saddam Hussein, Hitler, Stalin and others have killed, tortured and subdued millions. Wives and Husbands have been known to kill their spouses in order to feel free from them. A suspect will kill the traffic cop to ensure his own freedom. The examples are countless.

Most of the grief and mayhem we experience on this planet is all in the name of freedom. Wouldn't you agree? I could be wrong, it's only a thought, but as I type this it rings true to me.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Some want the ultimate freedom, so they take over entire countries and terrorize people into submission. Once they rule a country and it's people, they can make the rules and literally get away with almost anything. That's freedom at it's peak. Intoxicated with the desire for freedom, people like Kim Jong Il, Saddam Hussein, Hitler, Stalin and others have killed, tortured and subdued millions.

I believe that is "tyranny" not freedom

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Freedom is a little like having a gun. It's not the gun that hurts people, but the person using the gun that does. By enjoying your personal freedom you could easily hurt one or more people, thus depriving them of their freedom. What would you think if a person, who feels their personal freedom is to shoot a gun, steps out in the middle of . . . say Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and pursues their personal freedom. The same thing would happen as it did in Tucson or Virgina Tech or Columbine. Mankind may want all of the freedom that they can have but restrictions must be placed so that everyone will not be denied their freedom of life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
There have been many great accomplishments achieved under the banner of freedom. The problems arises when responsibility is neglected and great harm follows. Liberty is about expressing the freedom we all have, but with the restraints of using that power responsibly.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by type0civ

Some want the ultimate freedom, so they take over entire countries and terrorize people into submission. Once they rule a country and it's people, they can make the rules and literally get away with almost anything. That's freedom at it's peak. Intoxicated with the desire for freedom, people like Kim Jong Il, Saddam Hussein, Hitler, Stalin and others have killed, tortured and subdued millions.

I believe that is "tyranny" not freedom

Yes, but tyranny is carried out by the person who seeks his personal freedom from everything. In order to achieve it, the freedom seeker will terrorize people into doing what he or she wants them to do.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by bubbaron
reply to post by 2manyquestions

Freedom is a little like having a gun. It's not the gun that hurts people, but the person using the gun that does. By enjoying your personal freedom you could easily hurt one or more people, thus depriving them of their freedom. What would you think if a person, who feels their personal freedom is to shoot a gun, steps out in the middle of . . . say Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and pursues their personal freedom. The same thing would happen as it did in Tucson or Virgina Tech or Columbine. Mankind may want all of the freedom that they can have but restrictions must be placed so that everyone will not be denied their freedom of life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

Exactly. You basically get what I'm saying. In my opinion (maybe something I didn't mention in my OP) is that the people who seek their personal freedoms, but will not trample the freedoms of others in order to do so are the heroes of our society. Those of us who will not do just about anything to seek our ultimate freedoms (therefore sacrificing ourselves for others) so that others may experience theirs,... these are the people to be looked up to.

My ultimate point was that the root of all evil isn't money, it's the indiscriminate pursuit of personal freedoms.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Those who are obsessed with money are not exactly "freedom seekers", IMO. Their efforts to constantly gain more and more are their total enslavement.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
ultimately to achieve true freedom , we must achive a true "oneness" a gelling together as one race liveing in harmony. i ppl say its impossible but i say it is possible. until we all make contiguous choice to arive there at oneness unfortunately we must fend for our selves

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkpetrov
Those who are obsessed with money are not exactly "freedom seekers", IMO. Their efforts to constantly gain more and more are their total enslavement.

Those who are obsessed with money are obsessed with money, because of what money can do for their personal freedoms. Think about it. They're not obsessed with collecting stamps or beach shells, they're obsessed with collecting money which buys them power and the ability to do anything they want. If money guaranteed no freedoms, why the hell would anyone want to slave away to earn more of it?

top topics

join