Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

"I can see dead people" A medium tells us what happens when you die (29th Jan on ATS LIVE)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I agree Jax, while I am skeptical, I can understand and be respectful about others beliefs.

Who knows for sure till you actually talk to the person.

Why on earth should anyone respect a belief ?

If I believed that children should be having sex at the age of 8 would you respect that belief, if not why not ?

ooo I feel a ban coming on
edit on 21-1-2011 by The Djin because: to grovel

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I'm certain at some point there would be a guest, or accomplished ATS member, on the show who can articulate a position skeptical of mediums, clairvoyance, etc.

I'll do it for you free of charge it wouldn't take two minutes , I'm pretty accomplishment at demanding extraordinary evidence for extraordinary claims , hell I'd even throw in a free bottle of my Skeptics Underwear Lotion normally retailing at the fantastic price of $9.97

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Even though I'm all for people doing what they want and all that, and even making money off of it if they can. I really don't believe in mediums, and the only thing worser then them giving people a sense false closure or emotion from talking with there dead loved ones. Is if they could actually had the ability to talk to the dead or other entities non of this world.

But a lot of people would like to talk to there passed on dead loved ones, and even though I know pretty much most of these so called mediums can't grasp the after life, I do believe that they do sometimes help people in getting over whatever they are attached to that they want to get something out of, so in a way like all believes and religions, they do have a sort of power, the power of the desperation and uncertainties that people have.

So if people chose to give somebody money to be a medium, all I can say is.... It's there life, so do whatever. It sounds pretty harmless to me, unless off course they can actually talk to the dead that is. The dead are assholes, why would anybody want to talk to them? And I'm pretty sure that there are many reasons for the after life staying, as the after life and being unknown. There is always a reason for everything. And people should really just focus on there life in this realm.

I guess ill keep an eye out for this show, it should be entertaining at least.
But no calling in for me, I have a bad habit of spoiling peoples fun. And fun is important.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

um....this is a forum specifically about Paranormal stuff. That means that this is the exact forum for a free event like this one. You don't have to even show up in this forum if you don't want to. I stay away from forums that I think are bullsh*t - like UFOs and Illuminati and other horsesh*t notions like that. I even stay away (for themost part) from forums that upset me - like the 9/11 Attacks forum. Try doing that, and see how it goes for you.

It seems to work pretty good for me.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Mediums are a reminder of our roots when we were dialed into the spirit world - authentically through the presence of a local shaman. It seems to be a recent obsession with the skeptical community to axe these figures who endure so much negativity to stand up for a practice they believe in and offer it to others.

To become a medium of the calibre needed to charge the large sums of money that irritates the skeptical community, requires years of successful and meaningful relationships with their own clients.

They dont just pop out of the woodwork in the middle of the night to appear on radio shows. With this reasoning I'm more then willing to be open to the possibility that this medium has a legitimate connection to the spirit world and is aware of subtle energies that carry information.

A man and a woman stand in a room. the man offers information through a microscope, the woman looks gleefully, understanding. The woman offers her personal method of understanding, the man refuses. Why?

What are you afraid of? What drives you to deny the possibility that this person 'does' have something worth experiencing.

Consider the origin of your resistance.

Blessings,

-G
edit on 21-1-2011 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus
To become a medium of the calibre needed to charge the large sums of money that irritates the skeptical community, requires years of successful and meaningful relationships with their own clients.

Sure, lots of time is needed to gauge what types of responses will keep the suckers coming back.

a legitimate connection to the spirit world and is aware of subtle energies that carry information.

What "spirit world"? What "subtle energies that carry information"? How would anybody gain any"connection" to such things?

What are you afraid of? What drives you to deny the possibility that this person 'does' have something worth experiencing.

I'm afraid that people truly begin believing superstitious nonsense because they don't understand how cold reading works. I deny the possibility such people have anything worth experiencing because not only has it never been proven but is not actually possible.

Consider the origin of your resistance.

Concern for fellow humans combined with basic reasoning and a lack of credulity.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Sweet ATS has commercials now.... bags by the door.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
~~~Begin quote by the dijn~~~
That's the point, what abilities ? Ability implies being able, what testing there has been has resulted in zero evidence of anything ie the the juju lady was unable to do anything.
~~~End quote~~~

Right, Although I'm still open minded about it, I still believe someone out there can actually do unexplainable things, I just don't believe any self proclaimed mediums do, that is all. I'm not disrespecting her, I just don't agree with someone who claims to have abilities and speaks on a live conspiracy website broadcast.

~~~Begin quote by JaxtonRoberts~~~
To all the Haters... give it a rest... You may not believe, you may strongly disbelieve, you may think that those who do believe or are on the fence are nuts, but the Universe does NOT rotate around you. Neither does ATS or ATS Live... I personally think that 99.9% of all 9/11 'truthers' are paranoid schizophrenics with delusions of adequacy and tinfoil hats that are on WAY too tight, but you don't see me getting my panties in a wad everytime that subject comes up here on ATS or on ATS Live...

It's this little thing called respecting the interests of others. ATS is a very BIG site covering pretty much every topic under the sun with the exception of drug use and sex. And there are even exceptions in those areas... Give it a rest... If you don't believe, go find some other topic that DOES interest you and let those who do have an interest in this area have their moment in the sun...

Thank you for your time... Carry on now...

~~~End quote~~~

Well there is certainly nothing stopping you from going on said UFO threads and disagreeing with points being made, people do it everyday. I have as much a voice as you do as long as we're respectful, which we are, so you're nobody to tell other people to not express their opinions, this is a forum right?

~~~Begin quote by traditionaldrummer~~~
It's amazing that frauds like this still thrive in modern times.
Reprehensible
~~~end quote~~~

Agreed. What is more amazing is that the frauds are as successful as they are, its quite a feat.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Have you even sought out a shaman or medium? Or do you simply shout from the safety of the band wagon all of the stereotypes you can muster? Yes there are fraudulent people out there in all walks of life, but that does not mean they are all the same.

The spirit world is everything, its the foundation of the universe. How can you expect a person to understand something they have never tried to experience directly? Go do a 30 day silent retreat, and tell me the spirit world doesnt exist.

Dont feel like it? Well...I fully embrace your desire to sit on the wagon, you might stub your toe if you get off.

Stop looking for the science in a subject where science has no credence.

When I dance and sing to the spirits, the universe opens up to receive me and for that brief moment, I see what is. I urge you not to let the charlatans taint your possibility of having a positive, truthful experience.

Blessings,

-G

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The spirit world is everything, its the foundation of the universe.

So you claim yet cannot prove. Nor anyone else.

Stop looking for the science in a subject where science has no credence.

Ahh, I see. It's exempt from scientific scrutiny even though you claim it is objectively real and can be subjectively experienced.

When I dance and sing to the spirits, the universe opens up to receive me and for that brief moment, I see what is. I urge you not to let the charlatans taint your possibility of having a positive, truthful experience.

Various brain states can be induced by trance, drugs, meditation, and even dancing and singing. Don't confuse your altered perception for something real.

Additionally, your anecdotal evidence cannot support your claims about this "spirit world". If it's real it must be proven so. No "psychic" or "medium" has ever done any such thing.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

The same gargle over and over from you - I suggest you try a practice that many claim to have shown them a path to spirit.

This could be silent meditation retreats, plant spirit medicine, kundalini yoga, trance dance, and so much more.

You will never get scientific results from practice, as it is being experienced in another level altogether.

So if you want to experience what the human race has been raving about since the dawn of time, I suggest you step down from your high horse and try it. What have you got to lose?

In the meantime, I'll embrace this way of life that has shown me so much and wait for you to join the party.

Its free admission by the way

Blessings,

-G

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Quasar_La-Zar

Right, Although I'm still open minded about it, I still believe someone out there can actually do unexplainable things

Correct, my ex wife can tear me a new arse without meeting her in five years

(sorry dude I just couldn't let that one go it's the big kid in me my bad
)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

Have you even sought out a shaman or medium?

I saw an old Gypsy woman stood by here little tent thing, a man pulling a suitcase walked by I and she said " Off anywhere nice love ?"

Priceless even my kids were doubled up.
edit on 21-1-2011 by The Djin because: error

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

It's exempt from scientific scrutiny because things of that nature could never, ever get a legitimate shot in a scientific setting short of a miracle. Reasonably, it would be nigh impossible to eliminate bias. Besides, things of that nature are so subjective that setting up proper empirical tests would be extremely difficult, especially without accepting that it might be real for five seconds and properly observing it.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I wouldn't have to agree with your belief. Just respect it. I don't agree that 8 year olds should be having sex. My opinion is shared by a great many people. If you believe they should, well, that's your opinion and belief and I respect that. I disagree with it, but that's how it works.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

The same gargle over and over from you - I suggest you try a practice that many claim to have shown them a path to spirit.

This could be silent meditation retreats, plant spirit medicine, kundalini yoga, trance dance, and so much more.

You will never get scientific results from practice, as it is being experienced in another level altogether.

So if you want to experience what the human race has been raving about since the dawn of time, I suggest you step down from your high horse and try it. What have you got to lose?

In the meantime, I'll embrace this way of life that has shown me so much and wait for you to join the party.

Its free admission by the way

I have tried all those things including various psychedelic substances and have most certainly experienced what you think is the "spirit world". However, activities which alter the mind and brain states to cause illusion and delusion are not indicative of reality; they are simply the result of altered perceptions. Furthermore, all of your instructions point towards having a subjective experience to demonstrate it and a complete misdirection from confirming its reality objectively. Truth is not determined by subjective experience. Failure to recognize this can result in believing in such things as mediums and psychics, which will not only deplete your critical thinking skills but possibly even the money in your wallet.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar

It's exempt from scientific scrutiny because things of that nature could never, ever get a legitimate shot in a scientific setting short of a miracle. Reasonably, it would be nigh impossible to eliminate bias. Besides, things of that nature are so subjective that setting up proper empirical tests would be extremely difficult, especially without accepting that it might be real for five seconds and properly observing it.

Exactly. Because things that don't exist cannot be tested or measured.

However, it's quite easy to measure how easily someone can be fooled into believing in such nonsense simply because they remain unaware of the tricks that so-called psychics and mediums use.

It sure would be nice to think that our relatives survive death and can speak to us after shuffling off this mortal coil. But this is the monkey part of the brain at work and those who exploit this belief for their benefit are truly the scum among us.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I wouldn't have to agree with your belief. Just respect it. I don't agree that 8 year olds should be having sex. My opinion is shared by a great many people. If you believe they should, well, that's your opinion and belief and I respect that. I disagree with it, but that's how it works.

Well as long as we are using the ridiculous 8 year old analogy (not started by you I know), would your respect for that persons belief extend to thinking they should have a slot on ATS radio to promote their belief and a link to their web site where they sold advice on how to sleep with 8 year olds, I would assume not.
Respect of a belief and active promotion of it are two different things.

Also we as a society quite clearly often decide that certain beliefs are unacceptable or immoral and we often put people that act on those beliefs in jail. In the uk in fact if you are giving a platform to any kind of psychic then you have to make it clear to the audience that the program is purely for entertainment purposes and is not to be taken in any way seriously.

I've also seen a similar message at the start of many US tv programs (for entertainment purposes only) because if someone follows the advice of the medium based on an endorsement of a particular radio / tv program and the advice had negative consequences then the broadcaster is leaving themselves open to law suits.
edit on 22-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I find it abhorrent that you would respect any belief involving sex with children. How much further does your respect for beliefs go? Do you respect the belief for the religious to kill homosexuals, or do you respect the belief that Nazis should murder Jews? Disagreeing with beliefs but "respecting" them is not how it works.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
After looking about some more I think it might indeed be illegal (depending on the state) to broadcast any kind of psychic readings or advice without including a strongly worded disclaimer indicating that the program is merely for entertainment and the advice shouldn't be followed
edit on 22-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join