It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Asteroids Could Have Made Life's Ingredients

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Possible Evidence that could prove life began off planet!?

www.sciencedaily.com

In the new research, the team reports finding excess left-handed isovaline (L-isovaline) in a much wider variety of carbon-rich meteorites. "This tells us our initial discovery wasn't a fluke; that there really was something going on in the asteroids where these meteorites came from that favors the creation of left-handed amino acids," says Dr. Daniel Glavin of NASA Goddard
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.spacedaily.com
www.universetoday.com

Instructions for the Breaking News Forums - Please review this link

Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalise it.

edit on 19-1-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This research very well could lead to the irrefutable evidence that life truly began off-planet! imo

you can look at it from the perspective the the building blocks of life originating in space floating around creating life via asteroids & meteorites either by chance or under direct control from another intelligence(panspermia etc.)
Or...
What I found very interesting at the end of the article, the possibility that right handed amino acids could of been created from different kinds of radiation,making right-handed amino acids favorable in another younger solar system(s).

leading to the possibility of other life forming elsewhere! No matter how you view it,it is an extremely fascinating find!

www.sciencedaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

this is awesome but it makes me wonder how we got here? And if there is life over there why would we come here (unexplained reasons) and they didn't come to check up on us? They're probably all mega humans that can control they're car with a single thought...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Disemboweled

Way I see it,Life could of originated a couple different ways...E.T. intervention,panspermia,evolution etc.
Personally, I am leaning more towards panspermia or e.t. intervention
limiting our minds and theories will only keep us in the dark even longer about our true origins.

Here is more information for further research:
Alien intervention theory
Panspermia
Origins of life
edit on 19-1-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This is a very solid evidence for life.
Great find.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

It's also possible that other young solar systems encountered different radiation that favored right-handed amino acids. If life emerged in one of these solar systems, perhaps the bias toward right-handed amino acids would be built in just as it may have been for left-handed amino acids here, according to Glavin.

(added emphasis by me)

I know it is a big If but this really could lead to more revealing discoveries and possible evidence of extraterrestrial life (even if only at the micro/bacteria level) and/or how and where life originated (off-planet etc.)
This could raise many questions and cause a rethinking of theories like evolution and so forth.

Must I point out that this is from Nasa? not saying to believe everything that comes out of that camp but could this not be one route to admittance of life elsewhere besides ourselves in the cosmos?could this not officially bring into question our origins?

ATS seems to be a hard crowd to please unless you have been here for a wile or have a certain screen name
I thought more members would be very interested in this article :shrugs:

The research was funded by the NASA Astrobiology Institute (NAI), which is administered by NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.; the NASA Cosmochemistry program, the Goddard Center for Astrobiology, and the NASA Post Doctoral Fellowship program. The team includes Glavin, Dworkin, Dr. Michael Callahan, and Dr. Jamie Elsila of NASA Goddard.

Nasa

top topics

join