It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Excessive-Force Case Filed Over Lab Mix Who Dared Sniff Police Dog's Behind (and was shot & killed)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

In further reading the court documents, it appears that both the City and Animal Control tried to retaliate against the plaintiff over the incident:

from above linked PDF

An investigation by the Chelan Cy. Sheriff’s Office resulted in no criminal charges
against Lamens. However, shortly after completing the out-of-county investigation, in what appeared to be a matter of delayed retaliation, the City of Moses Lake cited Mr. Criscuolo over $1700 in fines pertaining to his dogs Slyder, described above, and Dymond, a female mixed breed dog present the day Dep. Lamens killed Slyder. In addition to citing Mr. Criscuolo for various civil offenses related to Slyder several weeks after his death, the City also cited Mr. Criscuolo $1000 by claiming that Mr. Criscuolo failed to register Dymond, a dog with no prior complaints, citations, or allegations of dangerous behavior, as a “hazardous dog,” under the City’s “Hazardous Dog” Code, Ch. 6.06 MLMC.

The City deemed Dymond “hazardous” not because she hurt anyone or any animal, but
solely because the untrained eye of animal control officer Santiago Reyna perceived that she was part pit bull without providing Mr. Criscuolo any opportunity to contest this unilateral determination of Ofc. Reyna.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

What da?!?

Sheesh...

So far, this has some fairly serious undertones to to it! Sounds almost like a vendetta, and / or imtimidation.

I will be curious to see how this plays out in court and just HOW MANY WITNESSES saw this event go down. If that officer was truly trying to hide his nameplate and his partner really did threaten to taze this guy for taking pics, then there are going to be some serious payouts from that department me thinks, and that officer may not be holding onto his job when all is said and done.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I know China was going through some pretty rough times for a while against anyone who challenged a corrupt official. Sounds like some action has been taken to clean up the system since. With the accepted corruption going on in the economy and 9/11 it is setting a bad example for society to follow. To be honest I can only see things getting worst until some integrity is put back into the system.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Thats just something you dont do... shoot someones dog. Shot 3 times?? a LAB of all dogs?? Hell, Im 5 foot nothing and 120 lbs or so and I can take a 113 lb American Bulldog.. That cop was a weenie and should be busted back to meter maid. Maybe wear a skirt on duty...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I just don't know how I would be able to hold my self back from removing the pigs face from his small head if my dog was shot.

What a #ty world we live in.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by BioChemMatt
I just don't know how I would be able to hold my self back from removing the pigs face from his small head if my dog was shot.

What a #ty world we live in.

Same here.. Im pretty attached to my dogs. I have am American Bulldog, JRT and 2 hairless cresteds. My AB is MY baby.. she got into a fight with a male who was acting all aggressive at a dog park about 3 yrs ago and I tool care of the stupid male.. and intended to take care of the male's stupid owner for not controlling his animal.. but hubby stepped in.
He says Im kinda unnaturally attached to my old girl.

The point is that the cop should not only had control of his dog but been able to asses the real threat of a Lab ...of all breeds to be terrified of.... and take care of the lab without having to shoot it 3 times. Bad shot or pissed off weenie baby? or both?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I hate any kind of abuse towards animals. Even though the owner was at fault for letting his dog run around without a leash, for this cop to just shoot and kill someone's pet for no good reason is disgusting. They are a part of the family and this is going to be very painful for everyone that loved that dog.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Remeber cops have houses, cars,boats,...all these combustable things

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
good thing this didn't happen in FL ... dogs in dog parks MAY run freely ... owners responsible for any 'confrontations' that may occur.

Since all the of above info indicates there was no confrontation or fight, IF that officer had encountered me or many others, here, He would be dead. they call it Stand Your Ground and i have Every right to defend my family and/or property, hence - *dog*.
You shoot at my family, i shoot you ... simple and i don't consider your attire or intent.
You shoot to kill, be prepared cause i will too and i assure you it won't take 3 shots.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

One, a dog should always be on a leash in public. Always. There is no excuse for not having your dog on a leash. Even if your dog is mild-mannered Mr. Snugglesworth the 4th, who has moral qualms about gnawing on his rawhide bone, there's no guarantee that other dogs are going to have the same mentality. And if your mutt does suddenly decide to go Rambo for whatever reason, a leash gives you control over it.

Two... the cop is lying. A police officer will ALWAYS assert absolute no-fault situations when they kill dogs (and people, for that matter.) "Gosh, the dog was on a psychotic rampage!" applies to this lab, to beagle puppies, to arthritic hounds, and barking chihuahuas. They do this because htey know that in our legal system, cops count for more than regular citizens.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Reading that makes me want to bring my punchin' fists out of the closet. What the hell?

And that's even without the ridiculous attempt at breed discrimination.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFoxTwo... the cop is lying. A police officer will ALWAYS assert absolute no-fault situations when they kill dogs (and people, for that matter.) "Gosh, the dog was on a psychotic rampage!" applies to this lab, to beagle puppies, to arthritic hounds, and barking Chihuahuas. They do this because they know that in our legal system, cops count for more than regular citizens.

Funny story about our Chewy and the mail man - we let them run around outside of course and I heard her barking and I come out front to see what the issue is. I see the mail man getting out the mace from his bag. Our mail boxes were on the houses - mail slots.

I asked him. "Are you really going to mace a 3 pound dog because it is barking at you?'

He (about 6' plus black dude) "Well, those ankle biters are the worst..."

Me: "Sure, like the dogs 1/4 inch teeth are going to get through your leather boots huh?" "You mace that Chihuahua and I'm going to mace you with my fist - simple as that - savvy?"

He refused to deliver to our house for a while and we had to go the post office to get it (a whole 3 bolck drive - oh the shame) - I always harassed him when I saw him in there; "Hey big guy mace any 3 pounders lately..."

Finally the postmaster asked me what was going on - in a town of 2k people can't keep many secrets... he promised to talk to the mailman and a week later he was coming to house again with a none too please look on his face.

I heard the postmaster gave him a talking too about customer realtaions and appropriate use of force on "vicious" dogs.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I honestly think its the police training and the fact that a lot of new cops are Iraq veterans. I mean honestly, how could a real human shoot a lab three times for sniffing a dogs bottom? I know we need cops, but there should be a HUGE psychiatric evaluation done on these guys before their given a Gun and the ability to take your rights away for really any reason.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join