It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Man shot to death in his home by police, while holding a golf club.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I found this video posted on LiveLeak.

How can this be justified by the Utah Courts??? If you hear someone yelling and screaming, and banging on your front door, What would you do? I would probably grab something too. The man had no chance what so ever to even drop the golf club. Apparently they busted in searching for drugs. Drug dealer or not... How is this justified?

Officers entered Blair’s home Sept. 16 during a drug raid when he stepped into the hall, wielding a golf club, police video shows. Ogden police Sgt. Troy Burnett shot Blair, 45, in the head and chest.

The Salt Lake Tribunal

Warning Video may be Graphic and Intense to some viewers

www.liveleak.com...
edit on 19-1-2011 by Moose318 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
they probably did'nt give enough time between identifying themselves and bustin in. lesson to be learned, never be in your own home without the bullet proof vest on.

adding: i couldn't watch the video, i dont get off to violence.
edit on 19-1-2011 by gougitousakusha because: to add

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Government will use any excuse to terrorize the peasants. Obviously that golf club was a lethal weapon and the officer had every right to gun the man down in his own house. How dare he think to defend himself against unknown intruders.

Just think America, you could be next. Don't be angry. Don't complain. Don't fight back. Isn't this what you wanted? You're safe now from the terrorists. Right? Well?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by gougitousakusha
they probably did'nt give enough time between identifying themselves and bustin in. lesson to be learned, never be in your own home without the bullet proof vest on.

adding: i couldn't watch the video, i dont get off to violence.
edit on 19-1-2011 by gougitousakusha because: to add

Boy...I'll say. At the 28 sec mark they see the man, start to say get on ground, a nano second later fire shots at him killing him dead. They continue to tell him to get on the ground.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Moose318

if they rushed in its obvious enough the cops are at fault. you cant break into a tweaker pad and expect it all to be cool.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This makes me sick. Abuse of power disgusts me immensely. I hope the shooter dies in a similar fashion.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I am fully convinced that every bad cop will get whats coming to them either in this life or the next.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
That is ridiculous, that is clearly not a gun in the guys hand... They could have used non-lethal weapons to take him down.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Sgt. Troy Burnett shot Blair, 45, in the head and chest.

Not addressing the shameful act that they burst into his house and killed him, but this is what gets me. Police officers are (supposedly) trained professionals, trained in the use of their weapons, yet somehow--all too often--they, what with their thuggish behavior and egos, shoot to kill. The guy had a GOLF club, not a gun. Yet they shoot him IN THE HEAD?!?! I read about this quite often: man/woman wields knife, brick, etc, and they KILL him. It seems what with their training they could shoot said person in the legs to stop him, or shoulder to make one drop said close combat weapon, but no. They shoot them in the head.

One could argue instinctive reaction in the threat of danger, but officers are--should be--trained enough to know how effectively use their firearms to disable a suspect without killing him.

But they'd rather kill....

And for anyone who says "well, they were fearful for their lives," etc, again i say, they are TRAINED. Granted, training doesn't take away the intensity of the moment and their reactions to being fearful of their lives, etc, but shooting to kill is NOT acceptable from a professional who is (should be) trained to de-escalate the situation without use of lethal force when their lives are NOT in immediate danger.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Wow.... If the law justifies this.... There is a problem....

From the video there is no identification of who they are. Just a bunch of men screaming "search warrant".... Not one of them even said police.... Nothing like that...

The man was standing in the hall holding a golf club because he was clearly under the impression some one was breaking into his home. He never once swung it. In fact he was pretty damn still. Probably scared of of his head.

No warning from the police to drop the golf club. Just 3 shots. Yes, 3 shots.... Why it would take more than one is beyond me. And then the way they just heartlessly step over him and keep searching the house. Finally one man stops and just kind of stares at him as he tells the other men to keep going....

Just wow... If this is legally justified, then there is a problem with the law.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
This is a horrible incident, but I couldn't help but laugh about the headline: "Man shot to death in his home by police holding a golf club" - he got shot to death by police holding a golf club?!??! Do they make golf clubs that shoot 9mm rounds now?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Police State this is very much becoming. Alot of these officers are new to the force, and many of them have already served in combat oversees. This style of training is evident in the military approach busting into the house. They even have camera men with them now, which I guess is to document the raid in case issues like these get brought up...Or they just want there own memoirs video like a trophy to talk about around the water cooler.

It is scary to think that situations like this are happening everywhere. It doesnt matter if he was a drug dealer, drug user, or if it was just a case of mistaken identity. If you cant even defend yourself in your own home anymore what can you do? I suppose the police can say that they gave him verbal warning screaming search warrant etc...I guess we will have to tell criminals and gangs that choose to carry out Home Invasions to go ahead and claim that they are the police while busting into a home, then maybe, just maybe...the police will think twice before shooting a man inside his residence. Maybe if that happens, they will be more careful and aware like they used to be when I was growing up. If the current trend in crime was to act and pose as Police, it would force them to change there tactics, because of public concern. This would cause all departments to scruntinize their policies in current police procedures. No one would want to die over grabbing a golf club, spatula, T.V. remote or defend themselves with a leg from yesterdays KFC order.

Then again, it probably wouldnt change a thing. It's just an example of legalized cold blooded Murder.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Stories like these never cease to appear.

They should give all pigs a water gun instead.

"But not all cops are the same blah blah" I don't wanna hear that #.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by I.C. Weiner
This is a horrible incident, but I couldn't help but laugh about the headline: "Man shot to death in his home by police holding a golf club" - he got shot to death by police holding a golf club?!??! Do they make golf clubs that shoot 9mm rounds now?

They at least should of gave him the chance to say, "I got a Nine Iron and I intend to use it" The man didn't even begin to swing, he was in a batters stance 15 ft away

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
A few years ago my neihbors were up lat parting so i put in some ear plugs. Later i heard someone outside screaming. Upset i yanked my curtain back to see 5 or 6 cops, guns in hand yelling at me to open my door. I opened the deadbolt and they rushed in with their guns on me. They then commenced to tell me that someone had called from my house that someone was on the floor dying. I explained that no-one had called from my house and that my whole family were in bed. I also told them they could not burst into my house as they did. They explained Its called a wellfare call and the could even bust my door if needed.

Come to find out my neihbors girlfriend had called to piss off her estranged boyfriend, and the idiot cops had the wrong apartment.Now looking back I think i should have persued legal action.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I don't understand....
Why are the police holding a golf club?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nivekronnoco
I don't understand....
Why are the police holding a golf club?

Oh excuse me...let me edit that comma in the title so it makes more sense for you.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I found this thread about this story on a police officer member board. Scroll down and read their comments.

Just one officer felt differently.

link

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

NICE FIND

wow these people are terrible
edit on 19-1-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This is completely OUTRAGES!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join