It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone has Bulged as Magma Pocket Swells-places saw the ground rise 10 inches!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Yellowstone National Park's supervolcano just took a deep "breath," causing miles of ground to rise dramatically, scientists report.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d56ac08d61d9.jpg[/atsimg]
Nature Wallpaper Midway Geyser Grand Prismatic Yellowstone

The simmering volcano has produced major eruptions—each a thousand times more powerful than Mount St. Helens's 1980 eruption—three times in the past 2.1 million years. Yellowstone's caldera, which covers a 25- by 37-mile (40- by 60-kilometer) swath of Wyoming, is an ancient crater formed after the last big blast, some 640,000 years ago.

Since then, about 30 smaller eruptions—including one as recent as 70,000 years ago—have filled the caldera with lava and ash, producing the relatively flat landscape we see today.

Still, since the start of the swelling, ground levels over the volcano have been raised by as much as 10 inches (25 centimeters) in places. "It's an extraordinary uplift, because it covers such a large area and the rates are so high," said the University of Utah's Bob Smith, a longtime expert in Yellowstone's volcanism.

Source: news.nationalgeographic.com...

Good National Geograpic video at the main source article.

Well, I have to say with all of the Volcano activity of recent, I think Old Yellar is gonna blow and she's going to blow BIG TIME.

This is one place that I want to visit before I die. I hope it is still there when I can get there.

Anyone been there? Got any pics you can put up.

I'll be keeping my eyes on this one. Just a matter of time.... Tic Tic Tic.... and I think sooner than later.... around Dec 2012 say...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b3e0e47c37f.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
taking a deep breath.and when it exhales its going to be veryveryvery bad for us that is a sign its gunna blow very soon

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
crazy things are going on and all at the same time and getting worse in intenisity creating the "perfect storm"

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Yellowstone rises and falls all the time, it even mentions that in your own link. The 10inch in places rise you speak of has been over time from 2004. Between 2007 and 2010 the rate of the rising has slowed down dramatically. All again from the link. Basically this news is 3+ years old.

Also check out the yellowstone thread here there is actually good info in that..
Your link seems to debunk your OP more than anything else, you may as well of just stated 'Yellowstone hasn't blown for a long time, it's overdue and it will be dec 2012'

Fortunately, the surge doesn't seem to herald an imminent catastrophe, Smith said.

"At the beginning we were concerned it could be leading up to an eruption," said Smith, who co-authored a paper on the surge published in the December 3, 2010, edition of Geophysical Research Letters.
"But once we saw [the magma] was at a depth of ten kilometers, we weren't so concerned. If it had been at depths of two or three kilometers [one or two miles], we'd have been a lot more concerned."

But there are also many examples, including the Yellowstone supervolcano, where it appears the ground has risen and fallen for thousands of years without an eruption.

When the rate of increase slows, the theory goes, the magma likely moves off horizontally to solidify and cool, allowing the surface to settle back down.
Based on geologic evidence, Yellowstone has probably seen a continuous cycle of inflation and deflation over the past 15,000 years, and the cycle will likely continue, Smith said.

It has nothing to do with the recent, normal behaviour of volcanoes. No connection at all.
Don't be so dramatic.
edit on 19-1-2011 by pazcat because: to rant more

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Yeah Yellowstone is cool, been there a few times........ I live in Idaho.

Every time I hear about Earthquakes in California, Floods in the midwest and tornadoes, and hurricanes on the east and southern coasts all I think is thats why I love Idaho....... then I'm always reminded we live near one of the biggest potential disasters on earth....

If I remember correctly there are only a couple of these on earth. So....... yeah. But if it does go off like they think it has in the past it would destroy everthing west of it and a lot to the east. Not much I can do besides bend over.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I don't know much about volcano's but doesn't that mean the pressure is increasing? Does that mean it is slowly waking up? Nice find

link   

Scientists think a swelling magma reservoir four to six miles (seven to ten kilometers) below the surface is driving the uplift. Fortunately, the surge doesn't seem to herald an imminent catastrophe, Smith said.

Umm, it looks pretty ok at the moment and the uplift has slowed in recent years. Way to act like tabloid rag and over sensationalise it...

link   
double post
edit on 19-1-2011 by ScorpioRising because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Your title scared me to death - whewww (let's out breath). Interesting article (good to see this didn't just happen all at once today). Seems its building up to something but scientist seem more relieved then they did at one time. I hope they are right - otherwise, its been great, love you and see you in the next world.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Great post *S&F*

This news article reminds me of the scene from the movie 2012: Super Volcano Eruption from Yellowstone Park. Everyone remembers the big bulge before the huge eruption? Check it out (video includes Transformers soundtrack).

However though, History Channel also produced a documentary on a future eruption from the volcano of Yellowstone and recreated what may happen according to the physics of the explosion. It gives a good idea about the nature of the Park as well as other facts you need to know about the history of the super volcano.

edit on 19-1-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: added video

Moreover, news of this super volcano has been produced and aired in January of 2009 by FOX News. Apparently congress did not want it to be shown on tv, but after something happened between FOX and congress, the media news source was then able to show their story live on tv. Check it out!!!

Yellowstone Super Volcano about to blow? 1-12-2009

If it erupts, scientists say it's be more powerful than 60 million atom bombs...It could wipe out over 60% of life on Earth...oh, it gets better...including the entire US continent...

edit on 19-1-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: added extra note

edit on 19-1-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: added extra note

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I have been following the Yellowstone thread for almost two years now. www.abovetopsecret.com...

There has been extensive research that has went into this thread by some of ATS's top minds. Anything you want to know can be found here.

Yellowstone is not about to erupt..Geesh...Quit the dramatics already... Nothing to see here..
edit on 19-1-2011 by kennylee because: spelling

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
You got me buddy! heart thumpin..and baited breath scanning frantically....with all the hullaballoo about the seisemometers going crazy world wide today, and this attention grabber i was getting rather wide eyed for a minute....way to go.....heheheheheh

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Well this thread sure caught my eye! thank god all seems ok there for the moment..My parents took me there when i was little i rember it being a wonderment even at age 8...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Geezzz - I thought I missed something today or yesterday while shoveling Slush - Don't do that - That's old news! Plot

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
don't blame the OP'er. the article's headline says "just took a deep breath" and it was published today. the article itself makes it sound like it just swelled a lot more than it has been.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

There are lots more where these came from, in my ATS Yellowstone album.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Thanks for the quick debunk! That is one catchy title, especially with Mt. Etna and Iceland, and the EQ in Arkansas, and the mysterious animal deaths that could be linked to poisonous gas releases.

I used to follow the Yellowstone thread, but I don't have tens of thousands of years to watch it, so I got bored.

Anyhow, Kudos on the quick synopsis and fear quashing! I hope you get applause!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

Amazing photos! Thank you for sharing and I would love to see more! The beautiful and sensitive side of nature in all its glory!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Oh wow! Happens all the time, big deal. Whats the point in all this?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

nice pics,.
I was just there this summer,.
good time and many of my own pics,.
and yeah,. nice sensationalism on behalf of the OP,.
Yellowstone has been quiet since Oct,2010

<<   2  3  4 >>

join