It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

house repeals "health care"bill

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Well for the record I was in favor of passing the Homeless Veterans Bill. All politicians are peices of #. It just seems that in the big picture, republicans are a little bit less of a peice of #. This kind of reminds me of a South Park episode....

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187
Well for the record I was in favor of passing the Homeless Veterans Bill.

Well on that we can agree.

All politicians are peices of #. It just seems that in the big picture, republicans are a little bit less of a peice of #. This kind of reminds me of a South Park episode....

As a friendly reminder, please remember the little saying, "i" before "e" except after "c." Sorry aside from being a bleeding heart liberal, I'm a recovering English major. Among other things.
You were wise to acquiesce.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
This vote simply reflects the opinion of the majority of the people in this nation who DID NOT want Obamacare in its current form to begin with. This opinion was blatantly ignored by those elected to represent the will of their constituents. Period. This law is a monstrous ball of bureaucratic red tape.

This panacea approach is not the way to successfully reform our nation's health care system. Please note that many who oppose the current reform legislation DO support the concept of health care reform in general.

Simply stated, this nation needs a different tack on the issue. The republicans were practically locked out of the entire development phase of Obamacare.

With an issue so monumental we need to start over and take baby steps by addressing a hierarchy of problems with our current system on a step by step basis. For example, congress could have easily passed a single simple law that protects those with preexisting conditions rather than bundling it all together with BS that we don't need. Doing this enabled the Dems. to say "if you want this, you must accept that" "this is what you want, this is what you get". The republicans noted this problem and were dubbed as evil because they "opposed the protection of those with preexisting conditions". Not true. The republicans just didn't want all of the extra negatives in order to get a single positive.

This is not rocket science folks and unfortunately both sides have politicized the issue to death. Time to start working for the people again and not the side interests that maintain the true influence in DC.

How about a national referendum on the issue!! That should put the issue to rest permanently
edit on 20-1-2011 by jibeho because: add content

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Since when is it a "joke' or a "waste of time" when people follow through with what they say they are going to do?
Granted it is highly unusual for anyone in government to keep to their word but in this case they did.
We all know the odd's are against it passing in the senate, regardless, it should be followed through as promised to the people. IMHO, it shouldn't matter which "side" someone is on, if they say they are going to do something, they need to do it to the best of their ability.

If the politicians (but not limited to politicians) are truly concerned about the "message" they send to the public, the last thing they would be doing is shaming and demeaning ANYONE who followes through on a promise.

I hope those who have a dream, ignore the wussies and go against the odd's to achieve their dreams.

I didn't vote for Obama but when he became our 43rd President, I sincerely hoped he would follow through on his promises. I blindly transfered trust and hope to our new president. I also understood Rome wasn't built in a day so patience was at the forefront of my mind. Obama and Pelosi both spoke at us instead of to us when they spoke about the "healthcare" bill, they still do. The bill is too vague, full of "create as you go".
Has anyone in Congress or the Senate even read the whole thing?

Against the odd's is what makes exceptionalism.

If this what this video portrays is truth, then I am confident our children will not listen to us, (foolish adults) when they aren't supported while going against the odds.
Why not finish what you start?

At least some in Congress are following through as promised .....oh yea, "IMO"

Thanks
SL

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
They are doing exactly what the people of America voted them into office to do. Repeal Obamacare and stop/reverse the completely idiotic spending that has been going on.
edit on 20-1-2011 by jjkenobi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

The republicans were practically locked out of the entire development phase of Obamacare.

Jibeho, Oddly, I agree with the bulk of your sentiment except the above statement. As I recall, the Republicans simply refused to participate as part of their obstructionist stance. I posted a video of them voting down their own proposed amendments. (I'll try to find it) much to the dismay of Dems.

ETA, Ah yes, here it is:

It is hard to refute the spirit of cooperation extended by Dems after viewing the video, no?
I am fraid you just ran into a brick wall of proof. CRASH.

Also, results of current ABC poll may surprise you:

fewer than four in 10 -- 37 percent -- favor repealing all or parts of the law; the rest either support it, or want to wait and see. And just 18 percent favor repealing it entirely,

SOURCE
edit on 20-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: added video

edit on 20-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
They are doing exactly what the people of America voted them into office to do. Repeal Obamacare and stop/reverse the completely idiotic spending that has been going on.
edit on 20-1-2011 by jjkenobi because: (no reason given)

3 democrats have joined the republicans in the house to repeal ObamaCare.
I guess that means there must be something wrong with ObamaCare.

----------------------------------------------------------
Now we need to start defunding ObamaCare piece by piece.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

I wouldn't call it a gimmick. I'd call it a futile effort to take back control. They really don't care about the American people, only their bank accounts. But the enemy of my enemy is my friend, so as long as they opposed Obama and the Democratic party, I will support them.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Your thread title would be more accurate were it styled like this:

house "repeals" health care bill

You are drawing attention to the wrong part of the sentence.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

@ jibeho You post this:

The republicans were practically locked out of the entire development phase of Obamacare.

I refute with SOLID PROOF of falsehood:

It is hard to refute the spirit of cooperation extended by Dems after viewing the video, no?
I am fraid you just ran into a brick wall of proof. CRASH.

And yet receive no reply or retraction. What gives? Are you above being mistaken?
edit on 21-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

...and just from a strictly observational perspective, is this current Obamacare simply the dogs breakfast that was hammered out in an unsuccessful attempt to get the GOP aboard? Half the initial intent, but more nods to big Med than to the American citizen? Pity he blew his advantage on reaching out to them.

Just sayin...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

I am none of these things, but I was in the military and the Republicans deserve my disdain. This health care repeal stunt breaks their promise of carefully considering the constitutionality of any new legislation, came without any hearings on the matter, and will increase the defecit if repealed.

The tea party may want it, but the tea party has a very neurotic view of government.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

You're funny! Sorry, I forgot to set my alarm to check for KK's responses. Please note that I said "practically locked out of the development phase of obamacare". Development phase.

Flashback to the House when Republicans were frozen out from the start. Three Chairmen—Charlie Rangel, Henry Waxman and George Miller whisked themselves away to write the most liberal bill they could get through the House. Republicans were told at the time that unless they embraced the "public option," there was nothing to discuss.

During the same time frame, GOP leaders sent a letter to Obama requesting a meeting to discuss ideas. The White house did not respond. Then suddenly in July of 2009 the public opinion on Obamacare began to make a turn for the worse as the details were leaked out. Suddenly, Obama then opened a partial ear to the republican ideas.

Here's a fun article www.politico.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

3 Democrats U.S. Senators are willing to jump over and help out the Republican Senators to repeal
ObamaCare. Harry Reid better change his mind and stop being so arrogant. Lets see the votes
in the U.S. Senate.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

polls, polls and more polls. ABC, Fox, etc etc

Here's the latest from Fox News to counter your ABC poll

When asked to imagine being a lawmaker in Washington and having to vote on whether to keep the new law or repeal it, 56 percent of voters say they would vote to repeal and 39 percent to keep the law in place. Representatives in the U.S. House took that vote Wednesday and voted 245-189 to repeal the law (or 56 percent to 44 percent).

A majority of Democrats would vote to keep the health care law (67 percent), while over half of independents (56 percent) and almost all Republicans (87 percent) would repeal it.

Few voters see an upside to the new law. Some 18 percent of voters think their family would be better off under the health care law. Compare that to 14 percent who thought the law would help their family a year ago (January 2010), and a high of 22 percent who thought so in September 2009.

Twice as many -- 36 percent -- think their family will be worse off under the law.

Yet the largest number of voters -- 40 percent -- doesn’t think the law will make much of a difference to their family one way or the other.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Raw data
www.foxnews.com...
edit on 21-1-2011 by jibeho because: clarity

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

You're funny! Sorry, I forgot to set my alarm to check for KK's responses. Please note that I said "practically locked out of the development phase of obamacare". Development phase.

By the way, as part of the new site enhancements there is a nifty new feature in messages portal. If you click REPLIES it will show you responses to your thread posts by other members. It is actually very useful unless you'd rather mock me.

Regarding your "weasel words" (practically, virtually - whatever) as dismissal of my evidence, I say weak sauce. The video CLEARLY DEMONSTRATES Dems willing to ACCEPT 64 amendments and yet the Grand Obstructionist Party blocked their VERY OWN revisions. Even the GOP rep was flabberghasted (sp?). Your reply with McCain simply illustrated sour grapes AFTER THE FACT in my opinion.

Agreed polls can be slanted. "He who asks the questions controls the answers." We're even there.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

By the way, as part of the new site enhancements there is a nifty new feature in messages portal. If you click REPLIES it will show you responses to your thread posts by other members. It is actually very useful unless you'd rather mock me.

Actually, thanks for the heads up. I was unaware of that feature in the message portal. Sometimes however, mocking makes me bubbly much like your new avatar does. Mr. Bubbles surprised me. I'm used to something a little darker and remotely sinister in your avatars.

As for the creation of the bill. You cannot deny who the authors of it are and just how they went about creating it. By the time your video clip was taken, the damage was already done and the partisan bickering was in full swing due to the icing of the GOP by the Dems. in the creation of this landmark piece of legislation. Even the White House iced the GOP down until late Summer when the polls began to reflect that the majority of those in this country did not want the legislation that was being rammed up the nation's anus.

It all sucks. The federal mandate is unconstitutional. Time to go back to the drawing board and time to do it right one step at a time. No tricks, no secrets, no closed doors and above all the transparency of process that was promised by the man who is steering the ship towards the iceberg.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Actually, it is an excellent move for the Dems.

The Republican Congress members will need to return to their districts and explain why they don't think their constituents deserve Govt. provided Healthcare when they failed to forfeit their own. Every single Republican Congress member was challenged to forego their own Govt provided coverage and guess how many accepted the challenge? ABSOLUTELY ZERO.

129 million Americans are considered to have Pre-existing conditions. Try selling that denial of coverage factoid to a third of the US population.

You do realize that there is nothing "government provided" about this healthcare plan. You're comparing apples and oranges. Of course nobody declined the coverage that is provided by their employer, neither would you. I really hope that you're not actually convinced that all this means the government is going to provide healthcare coverage for you. They're not providing anything. Rather requiring you to have insurance, and provide it for yourself if your employer doesn't.

So, how again is the fact that not a single congressman declined coverage relevant?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unit541
So, how again is the fact that not a single congressman declined coverage relevant?

Hmmmm. Because the MAJORITY of them were elected on the platform of cutting government sponsored entitlements. If you fail to see the contradiction in that then I feel sorry for you. They are hypocrites.

"Republicans' proposed repeal of health reform: Taking away from us what they keep for themselves"

thehill.com... s-

Republican Congress members vote for repeal of healthcare reform. Meanwhile their coverage is on the taxpayer’s dime.

Link

Yeah they are blogs I know but this is debate is fueled by opinion.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
To the people who say this was a waste of time, you're partially correct. The GOP wanted this vote solely so they can point to it in 2012 to remind people that the Democrats don't give two squirts about the "will of the people". I'm not really pro-Republican or pro-Democrat but I'm very anti-Obamacare. It's a steaming pile and could potentially be a big reason that the Republicans gain a majority in both Congress and the House in 2012. They will probably win the White House as well if the don't make fools of themselves and put up someone who can't win.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join