It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cholesterol lowering drugs.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Another thing that helps people is to drink a lot of tea. My father had high blood pressure and atherosclerosis. He had to have two stints put in last year. They gave him a stress test and he passed out. His blood pressure was in the stroke/heart attack range. This was after a decade + of being on statin pills, and years of me telling him that statins actually are horrible for you.

He's very naive and stubborn, and uses the illogical appeal to authority way, way too much.

Anyways, he's now taking a range of nutritional supplements, and post stints his blood pressure is in the optimal range.

I'm going to provide a few links that mention the healthy effects of tea drinking on heart disease:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I have been having many of the Statin symptoms and on reading this article on green tea I posted it to all my friends on Facebook,maybe some of them will repost it.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I have been having many of the Statin symptoms and on reading this article on green tea I posted it to all my friends on Facebook,maybe some of them will repost it.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by colsislander

so did you work it out yourself that yours symptoms were coming from the statins, did you stop taking them, and what led you to discovering that that is what was causing your problem.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

reply to post by star child

The tea used in most of these studies is merely Japanese green tea. I personally use the highest quality Japanese tea, referred to as Gyokuro , and the highest grade white tea from China called Silver Needle .

Both of these teas are a bit expensive, but if you have an asian shopping center close by, you can usually find these specific kinds of tea on the cheap. Any tea will likely benefit you, but black tea is most oxidized and has the most fluoride in it, while also having the least EGCG and l-theanine. The higher quality the tea, the more EGCG, l-theanine, and caffeine. The theanine gives the tea an excellent flavor, imo, and also relaxes the mind and increases alpha wave activity. My focus goes from being great to superb! If I ever need to cut out some of the health benefits in my diet due to financial insecurities, these high quality teas would honestly be the last things to go. I truly believe in them that much!
edit on 19-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

this may sound stupid but can you have a dash of milk in the tea or does that take away the benefit.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
There are a lot of people who have problems or serious side effects when taking any of the statin drugs.

But there are three natural alternatives that I know of. One is niacin (as was mentioned above). Niacin is vitamin B3, part of the B vitamin complex.

And two other natural alternatives for lowering cholesterol are either: red yeast rice, or fish oil (omega-3 fatty acids).

When a patient can't take statins due to the side effects (or some of them flatly refuse to take statins because they've done their research on it), then sometimes the doctors will tell them to take one or more of these natural alternatives instead. Big Pharma is already trying to cash in on niacin though making a pill called Niaspan. Niaspan is just niacin. Big Pharma is also trying to cash in on fish oil (Lovaza). I don't think they've tried making a prescription red yeast rice pill yet though.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I don't believe the side effects i had from niacin.

Intense itching from head to toes and i mean bad. Benadryl did nothing for the itching.

I have fibromyalgia and the first thing the doctors did was take me off all statins for 8 months
The fibro got worse.
www.mayoclinic.com...

After 14 months they finely did a chest CT and found i have sarcoidosis and neurosarcoidosis.

By the way in 2006 i had a heart attack and 5 way bypass.
Not caused by cholesterol but from high CRP(C-reactive Protein)levels caused by the Sarcoidosis.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I am 47yrs old. This last year I was diagnosed as diabetic and have been on high blood pressure medicine for about a year. This past December my Cholesterol numbers came in a totoal of 208 with my HDL

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Why any dumbass would prescribe a statin to a premenopausal woman with no previous Cardiac events is beyond me. It's unbelievably sad how unaware doctors are of the efficacy of medications such as statins.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
My parents are both taking cholesterol lowering prescriptions, among others. I have hinted that their chronic aches and fatigue could be related to all the drugs they have been taking for the past few years. My mom's response is that if they were dangerous, the doctor would have told her

Even after a treatment that is known to potentially cause diabetes - which it did - she will not try using herbal remedies and I am just so sad that her medicine is killing her.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I don't believe the side effects i had from niacin.

Intense itching from head to toes and i mean bad. Benadryl did nothing for the itching.

This is related to your natural histamine level. If it is high normal or in the high range, you will likely have this itching as the niacin causes the release of excess histamine. It will receed after a few days of your body learning to adapt. Another way of having the itch be minimal while you transition is to take the form: inositol-hexanicotinate. This form has 6 niacin molecules bonded to inositol, and slowly breaks away in your bloodstream as the day progresses.
edit on 20-1-2011 by unityemissions because: worms in me brains!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by punterdeb
this may sound stupid but can you have a dash of milk in the tea or does that take away the benefit.

It's not stupid as I've read similar things online. I don't truly know which benefits are lost from taking the tea with a little milk, but I simply don't risk it anyways. Besides, I only drink hemp milk. I'd say not to do this, but if you really prefer this preparation then do some research and see if you can find the answer.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
i really really really think that in 10 years time we will look back and think how stupid we were like sheep to just open our mouths and stick statins in there.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I have been taking Crestor + Niacin + fish oil on a regular basis and as much as I possibly can in a effort to clean my arteries. My only side effect is 10 minutes of itching the Niacin gives me every time I take one.
I do not get the terrable side effects some of you do thank goodness.

reply to post by punterdeb

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Find another Doctor.

The thing to remember is that they work for you not the other way around. Its clear you had a reaction to the statins and they need to go another route.

Statins work but they do have side effects. My dad is in the same boat as you are. He is on a different class of drug and doing fine with it.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I would be very wary of taking Crestor. I have very high chlorestrol as a family traight, not due to diet. After a blood test my Doctor prescribed it to me, with definite instructions to tell him immediatley if anything felt "off".

This was a few years ago. I think I felt fine for a month, maybe two - and very gradually started to notice I was having trouble concentrating. Then the memory problems started.

It seemed like my memory recall was just going. One morning I woke up and for a minute at least I couldn't remember where I was. I mean I was wide awake and wasn't sure if maybe I just woke up in the apartment I lived in a few years ago. Wasn't quite sure if I was in the relationship I'm in now, or if I should get up and go to the job I had back then. Very freaky!

I looked up Crestor online, and sure enough, there were all these nightmare stories of people losing their memories on it. One businessman went for a morning walk, and suddenly couldn't remember where he lived.

Called the doctor, and he told me to stop taking it immediatley, and I got the feeling he had heard the same thing before.

Bet they'll take that stuff off the market soon. By the way I have been on Lipitor for a couple of years and haven't noticed any side effects at all.

Over the last year I have completely changed my diet, and try to excersize daily. I take fish oil suppliments, try to get all my Aminos, and have cut out nearly all meat. Replaced it with olive oil, wheat germ, flax seed and shakes made with fruits and vegetables. Lost about 20 pounds and have never felt healthier in my life! Had a physical last week and my dr said he actually wants to get my OFF the statins because I'm doing so good.

Moral: research EVERYTHING you regularly put in your body.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It's always disappointing to hear of someone having to stop drug therapy because of a side effect that was serious or could not be tolerated reasonably.

From your story it sounds like you were generally unaware of the potential side effects, was that the case? I ask because muscle pain/fatigue is the most common side effect of statin medications - occurring in about 2-12% of patients - and I would have assumed (maybe more aptly put hoped) your prescribing physician would have informed you of this and other side effects and would have specifically told you to monitor for signs of muscle pain.

Also, and of course only if you feel comfortable discussing it - might I ask what alternatives your physician offered you when you presented the muscle related side effects to them? Did they want to switch you to another statin (like Lipitor, or simvistatin)? Or did they discuss changing to a different drug class?

Thanks for sharing your story.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
my doctor did the same with me, told me my cholesterol was high and perscribed a drug for it...
only with me, most of the drugs don't act the way they should, maybe because they usually have some kind of chloride in them and me and chlorine just don't jive well. well, I tried the medicine and really didn't like the side effects...so I don't take it. but I did check online to see just how high my cholesterol was, and found it that is was borderline, so to me, the risk of it rising more and becoming a danger to me wasn't worth the risk the side effects of the drug was doing to me. and I really think that instead of just slapping a prescription in my hand, my doctor should have sat down and discussed dietary changes that I could have made to keep it under control....
I had to do a little research and learn about those changes myself and implement them.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up on the cholesterol lowering treatment

I've been on Crestor 10mg for about 2 years now with none of the mentioned side effects at all but I'll be more alert to the symptoms from now on if anything develops. Over that period of taking Crestor I've also stopped smoking after about 50 years of it and that's probably the biggest factor in my feeling so well over the last 12 months. Seeing my 'bad' cholesterol level was only barely marginally high (and always has been) combined with hardly any difference on Crestor, I'm now considering ditching the pills altogether.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

reply to post by bozzchem

Fully agree with you on this one. Niacin is the only nutrient that not only lowers ldl, and raises hdl, but it also lowers the risk of mortality following a heart attack. Statins actually increase mortality risk!!

edit on 19-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

FALSE - Statins do NOT increase mortality. Please provide a link to a clinical trial that proves this assertion.

In fact, the majority of the evidence available points to the contrary, here are just a few examples:

Use of statins in primary and secondary prevention of coronary heart disease and ischemic sroke
Statin adherence associated with lower all-cause mortality, even in primary prevention
Statin adherence and mortality in patients enrolled in a secondary prevention program

<< 1    3 >>

join