It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Illusion 2010 - Impossible Motion...Very Cool (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I thought it was very cool and thought I'd share.

What I like about Professor Sugihara is that all he uses is Cardboard and glue, no special effects...our brains do the rest!

His props are cardboard and glue, no special effects. All he does is find the precise angle where our brain assumes an impossible act. In this case, he chooses the angle that makes down-sloping planes look like up-sloping planes.

Then he changes the angle and you see how he did it. (Or more correctly, how you did it.)

Brains, you may not realize, make arbitrary assumptions to keep our world intact. Sugihara knows exactly where those assumptions pop into place. Using simple paper and glue constructions, he creates shapes cannily designed to make us see something that isn't happening. A "Specially Appointed Professor," Sugihara teaches at the Meiji Institute for Advanced Study of Mathematical Sciences in Japan,

www.npr.org...

If you have 13 minutes and want to see more...he has a longer video of other illusions here..

gcoe.mims.meiji.ac.jp...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I'd also welcome folks to post favorite optical illusions that they have found.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
That is great!

My head was spinngin trying to imagine the angles, knowing that perspective had to be in place.

Then we her turned it, ...very enlightening.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
That was very cool to see, nice post. It almost hurt my brain trying to see exactly when the image changed to where my brain comprehended it!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Once I saw how he did it...I had to wrap myself around the fact that he was capable of figuring out all the hyper precise math and angles in his mind to create the illusion...and then to sit down with cardboard and an exacto knife and glue and create it! the slightest error in calculations would have given away the illusion...ditto for the camera angle...the man has serious math skills.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I thought it was a magnet until he changed the viewing angle; a very impressive optical illusion. Though I wonder if that only works on camera... meaning, if you were actually looking at the model, in person, would you be fooled?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
I thought it was a magnet until he changed the viewing angle; a very impressive optical illusion. Though I wonder if that only works on camera... meaning, if you were actually looking at the model, in person, would you be fooled?

Good observation...I think it only works on Camera or with someone standing very still while watching from the correct angle

It reminds me of the levitation trick David Blaine does. If you ever see him do it on camera...he first "positions" the observers and cameraman saying they need to stand still or his concentration will be broken (Fixed Camera Angle - fixed observer line of sight)

And then with his feet tightly together, standing straight...he elevates himself briefly a few inches off the ground...by pushing up on the ball of the one foot farthest from the observer and keeping the other straight and elevated. It's a good illusion...also dependant on the observer watching from just the right angle...an angle that doesn't afford a view of the front half of one foot. Plus people focus on the heels and how they both come off the ground etc. Once I figured out how he did it I freaked out my friends before they caught on.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
BTW he has a 13 minute video with similiar illusions here..

gcoe.mims.meiji.ac.jp...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

I'd also welcome folks to post favorite optical illusions that they have found.

Amazing Animated Optical Illusions! It´s quite fascinating to be honest.

Peace
edit on 19-1-2011 by Seed76 because: wrong video

edit on 19-1-2011 by Seed76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Seed76

VERY COOL. Star from me.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

That makes sense needing the camera or standing still at a certain angle for the trick to work. Thanks for explaining how David Blaine levitates too, I knew it was fake, but have only seen it on TV.

Edit to add: Seed76, star from me too - awesome illusions!
edit on 19-1-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Very nice, love this stuff!

It makes you wonder how much our brain misses on a normal day. And how

much someone who wants us to miss.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Man that is really cool I love optical illusions. Thanks for the share.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Good thread

The Ames room illusion

Here is why you should be weary of believing your own eyes when it comes to estimating size, distance/altitude and apparent velocity. The same goes for witness testimony. If you take into account that the human brain distorts reality, and makes invalid assumptions regarding what we are seeing, the UFO subject becomes a lot less confusing.

The Ames room illusion explained

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

It's a cool illusion, but the shadows gave the trick up almost immediately for me.

If he lighted to eliminate shadows, the illusion would be near-perfect.

top topics

join