It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest West Coast Rocket Blasts Off Thursday Afternoon

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
source

Just came across this story when looking for some info for another member.

The largest rocket ever to be launched from the West Coast blasts off Thursday afternoon with a secret payload from Vandenberg Air Force Base, and the contrail should be visible from Orange County.

The unmanned Delta IV Heavy Launch Vehicle at 235 feet is 51 feet taller than the space shuttle and its propellant tank on the launch pad.

It’s scheduled to soar into space at 1:08 p.m. on what should be a mostly clear, windy afternoon. Orange County residents who look to the northwest should be able to see the white contrail of the rocket.

“It’s the largest vehicle ever launched from the West Coast, including the Titans launched in 2006,” said Vandenberg spokeswoman Jennifer Green. “Definitely, you guys might be able to see this one.”
The launch also will be Webcast by the United Launch Alliance, a joint venture of Boeing and Lockheed Martin and the builders of the Delta IV.

The rocket will carry a secret, “national security” payload for the National Reconnaisance Office, an agency that “designs, builds and operates the nation’s reconnaissance satellites,” according to its Web site.

While Launch Alliance spokesman Michael J. Rein declined to say whether the classified payload is a satellite, he did say that overall, Cape Canaveral launches are typically used to loft satellites into an equatorial orbit, while Vandenberg is typically used to launch them into polar orbits.

Some Orange County readers reported seeing the contrail of a smaller, Delta II rocket launched from Vandenberg the evening of Nov. 5.

Many of us remember the 'mysterious' contrails a month or so ago that were all over the news and ATS specifically.

The rocket is set to lift off Thursday afternoon at 1:08 pm PST. Unfortunately I am about 3000 miles away on the east coast, so I wont be able to see it. If any members are close by and looking to post images of the launch, please share them with us all here.
edit on 19-1-2011 by youdidntseeme because: launch happening tomorrow, I am date challenged

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

The rocket is set to lift in in exactly 5 minutes from this post at 1:08 pm PST. Unfortunately I am about 3000 miles away on the east coast, so I wont be able to see it. If any members are close by and looking to post images of the launch, please share them with us all here.

Awesome stuff!

edit on 19-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: edit completed

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
China:We have little cars and little people. Yet our little rockets are scarier than your crap so we launch outshide Calhfohnia

America
em chineeze think dey can do dat? Well let us get a big rocket. Bigger than anything before. To compensate. LIke we do when we get our big Dodge Ram trucks.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

i did edit the article, for some reason I thought the article was dated the 18th and it said tomorrow....
I was confused as usual.
Thank you.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Same thing happened to me, I was like, "wow, that's soon...maybe I better start searching the net...", and then I was like...wait...isn't it Wednesday?

Cali Peeps: Please be on the look-out for this event for the rest of us; thanks in advance!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

Yes for sure...

Anyone in Southern Cali be on the look out for this, if we can get some 'confirmed' images of this, then we will be ready for the UFO threads that are undoubtedly going to follow, or the threads claiming that the Chinese have attacked downtown LA and we needed to shoot the missile down.....

Who is in southern Cali that we can count on here?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Anyone think this "payload" could be "pay" to one of our alien visitors?????? Gold perhaps??? Who knows! If it's a secret, it's obviously something that shouldn't be known to the public. Fishy huh?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Actually its prbably a surveillance satellite.

In the original article it claims that the launch will be webcast by United Launch Allaince.

I believe this is the website for the webcast:

Launch webcast

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
T-Minus how long and counting? When's this thing supposed to launch?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

The timing is interesting, as is the publicity...

The Big Rocket is launched when Hu is in "town"

I hope those Santa Ana winds don't effect the launch.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure they are launching a spy satelite. The patch they are using for this launch is interesting...

The patch for NRO Launch 49 depicts a phoenix rising from the flames. The patch also features fourteen stars, including one being carried in the bird’s beak. There also appears to be a fifteenth star obscured by the bird’s wing. There’s a long tradition in such patches for the stars to symbolize the number of payloads launched. Fourteen stars just happens to be the number of KH-11 type electro-optical satellites successfully launched by the United States over the years—including the one being carried into orbit by this bird. A fifteenth launch—the one obscured star—ended in failure.

www.thespacereview.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
T-Minus how long and counting? When's this thing supposed to launch?

The launch is scheduled to occur at 1:08 PST, 4:08 EST, 9:08 London.....you get the picture.

The link in one of my above posts is to a webcast of the launch, and will begin airing about 25 minutes before the launch time.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Thanks, OP for the link, and I am hoping that the high wind weather conditions permit (crosses fingers)!

I recently moved to a different time zone from Cali, or I would be there, as it is rare that this this information is available in advance....

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Less than one hour until launch.
Half hour until webcast...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I live in San Diego CA.... I will watch for this thing.... BTW... This is my first post here... I will have my video camera ready...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Twinsdelight

Please post if you come up with anything!

And welcome aboard!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Also it is a very very clear sky here today in San Diego... So hopefully I will see it...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Twinsdelight
I live in San Diego CA.... I will watch for this thing.... BTW... This is my first post here... I will have my video camera ready...

Awesome. I was waiting for a local to chime in,
If I'm not mistaken SD County is about 150 miles from the launch, I hope the visibility allows for a decent view,
But then again it is Southern Cali, last time I was there I swear I could see heaven...

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It will be headed South, so we should see it here in San Diego.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
T minus 5 minutes. Here we go.....

Edit: Textbook launch. Perfect
edit on 1/20/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join