It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20 posts before being allowed to post a new thread.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'm a newbie here and risk being ostracized but doesn't that seem a little high?
edit on 19-1-2011 by bill1962 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bill1962

I thought the same thing when I joined a few months ago, but they basically just do it so that you will get used to the site and be familiar with it before you start posting.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Oh, and BTW, welcome to ATS!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Hey Bill1962. And in regard to your question... Not at all.

20 posts can be knocked out very quickly, and it gives the ATS community a good shot at keeping out spam, trolls, and miscreants. The rule doesn't exist to ostracize. It exists to allow people to get a feel for the forum so that when they do contribute a thread, they've had a chance to get a feel for doing so.

Welcome aboard and I'm sure you'll find that 20 posts is no challenge at all.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Hello! I would imagine that it is an arbitrary number of posts that was decided upon without too much consideration. The point of the whole thing is to keep quality of posts up and spammy posts down.

Its not the number that is necessarily important but the idea behind why that policy exists.

I didn't think it was too high when I joined. The 20 seemed to go by pretty quick actually. =D Good Luck and welcome!
edit on 19-1-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS!

It's not high in my opinion. I have almost 8 thousand posts in the 2 and some change years I've been here.

Once you get a groove on, it's very easy to get to your 20 posts. It's a measure created so that new members can learn how we expect you to post and to get a feel for the boards before getting your feet wet.

Trust me, you'll thank the staff at a later time

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
The common discussion is that it is far too low.

This place gets a ton of new people almost daily...typically the posts a new person brings is something thats been done to death.
the concept is that after 20, they may have found the search function and noted their groundbreaking news has actually been extensively covered here in another thread.

Welcome to ATS

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Piece of cake! Once you get started it's easy!! Hello and welcome!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It's the first time I have seen that word.

Definition of Ostracized.

To exclude someone from society or from a community, by not communicating with or even noticing them, similar to shunning

Welcome to the site.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Welcome!

You reminded me how peeved I was when I learned we had to post 20. I was reading ATS for about a year before actually signing up and never knew members had to do that, i was like damn i thought i passed square one!

Now I love the fact that we had to do that. Sometimes I think it should be more but...

You can post 20 by the end of the day, alot here to discuss and debate, piece of cake!

Good Luck

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
welcome to ats and dont worry.. stick to the rules and enjoy yourself...

kx

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I used to think that when I joined a year ago. Now I think
we should have at least double that number before a person
can start their own thread. If you stick around a while you will understand why.

Welcome to ATS!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Hey there,

I'm a newbie too and to be honest, I don't think that 20 posts is too much to ask of us. Remember, on forums like this they probably see tons of people trolling and posting really stupid stuff so it's not too big a deal. Besides, like someone else said, we can get a better feel for the site (although if you've been lurking for ages you probably already have a feel but still) and learn how to post and see what's already been done to death.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I think it should actually be higher.

It seemed like alot of people get to 20 by very quickly posting two-line, meanigless posts in order to create junk or hoax threads to ammuse themselves. This happened back around when college began back in session in late August.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
There are many different sub-forums each with hundreds of different thread topics currently, how difficult is it to make 20 relevant posts in threads that are of interest to you? Moreover, why would you not want to?

edit on 19-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Wow, I guess that I had better get my 20 posts in before folks really try to update the number. I was trying to prevent 'troll' postings by posting just silly comments.

Thanks for all the feedback and the welcomes. I look forward to being able to contribute my own postings in a little while.

Have a great day!
Bill

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by bill1962
I'm a newbie here and risk being ostracized but doesn't that seem a little high?
edit on 19-1-2011 by bill1962 because: (no reason given)

Hey there bill1962,

I can see that your question has been answered in many ways so I'll just say welcome to ATS

If you take a few minutes to respond to some of the replies here on your intro thread then you'll have 20 posts in no time.

And until you reach the magick number there are plenty of things for you to check-out on the site and other threads to get involved in.

Enjoy. Woody

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Is that something new? When I joined back in 2004 I don't remember having to post 20 times before creating a new thread. Wow ATS has been open for over 7 years!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lewtra

I'm a word lover by nature. Glad to see that someone else enjoyed my use of a big word.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Hi Bill, and welcome to the Introductions Forum of the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's)Private Messages to Staff only. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-ProfileBackgrounds

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

ATS Video Tutorials

Signature Guidelines

Terms & Conditions

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Moderator.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join