It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama to China: Let us sell you stuff!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
President Obama to China: Let us sell you stuff!

"We want to sell you all kinds of stuff," he just told visiting Chinese President Hu Jintao at a White House presser. He then went on to mention software and cars and a few other things. I wish he'd stopped at "all kinds of stuff."

That US trade deficit with China? $252 billion in the first 11 months of last year. VOA is reporting that $45 billion of US corporate export deals with China -- about half of that with Boeing

Well I think Obama finally found something he is good at.

Sales.

Actually, he is a good salesmen IMO. Selling the American public on the idea of Change. That's almost all I have left is Change in my pocket. It is good however to see him active on this topic. I wish him the best of luck. With Chinas growing middle class they will want consumer goods and other items but their markets are still pretty much closed on purpose to most outside products.

We don't have to try to sell them electronics or durable goods. [They manufacture all that for us anyways] But beef and other foods. Rice? RAW materials, Chemicals etc. I'm no expert on the subject but there is a lot of other items I'm sure we have that they want and or could use. It's just a matter of getting it to their growing consumer markets or manufacturers....

Any increase in sales to them is a positive move IMHO.

Your thoughts?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

How much will it cost them to buy the things we have in the West that they could get from other markets cheaper..

Our best be IMHO is to make stuff they don't.. we have the tech but are being left to stagnate..

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I am scratching my head.
After the outsourcing of American jobs to other countries,what does America have left to sell??
China is the leader in car production and electronics,what else can America sell them besides more American outsourcing of jobs??
Edit to add.....I guess they can sell the water.
edit on 19-1-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Well that is the question now isn't it?
What do they want/need that we can provide. Keeping their markets pretty much closed doesn't really help.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Yes sales are good, but let's be honest, other than special minerals, what can US sell to China? China has plenty of its own special minerals therefore puts US in a bad pricing position.

China will say: "I have lots of this, I don't need it, the price too high". (Chinese Accent)

US will say: "Yeeehaaaa, OK darn it, you give me $2.50/KG". (Yankee Accent)

China will say: "No, no, no, too much, why pay $2.50/Kg to something I don't need? I have plenty at home? (Chinese Accent)

At this point I hope you get what I mean, then again I don't know zilch about economy, but I have done my own trade therefore from my personal experience box.
edit on 19-1-2011 by reatarded because: layout

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
One of the few resources that we could sell to china is entertainment. Movies, music, and shows are something that the west (specifically USA) is definately leading.

Unfortunately I doubt there is much of the way in job prospects in that for the average citizen here.

link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
I am scratching my head.
After the outsourcing of American jobs to other countries,what does America have left to sell??
China is the leader in car production and electronics,what else can America sell them besides more American outsourcing of jobs??

Obviously, military weapons and secrets. Anything to quicken the destruction of the U.S. is necessary!

link   

Yep chinese buying software, lol.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Fortunately, (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), real estate in the good 'ole USA.

It seems that they (the Chinese) are already tapping into the foreclosed homes sector...

Do y'all consider that "positive" sales?

edit on 19-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: added

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

There are a lot of things we sell that are not on consumers buying lists or show up on retail shelves. The question still remains what do we have that they can possibly want.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderboy2402
One of the few resources that we could sell to china is entertainment. Movies, music, and shows are something that the west (specifically USA) is definately leading.

Unfortunately I doubt there is much of the way in job prospects in that for the average citizen here.

I don't think China will buy entertainment from US, they copy it and put it online or sell copied DVDs in the streets. I haven't been to movies for a whole year, that is because I watch my movies online. Now a days you can buy your own theater for around $100, with surround sound and everything, and you can connect your computer to it, amazing how fast technology advances.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
We sell China a whole lot of coal, But the government is trying to shut the mines down. If they shut them down it's gonna be a big blow to China's economy.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Well here is a older source with what we export....
What Does the USA Import and Export?

The top ten categories of exports from USA to other countries in dollar value were:

1. Civilian aircraft … $74 billion, up 1.3% from 2007 (5.7% of total US exports)

2. Semiconductors … $50.6 billion, up 0.3% (3.9%)

3. Passenger cars … $49.6 billion, up 13.3% (3.9%)

4. Medicinal, dental and pharmaceutical preparations … $40.4 billion, up 15% (3.1%)

5. Other vehicle parts and accessories … $39.9 billion, down 10.1% (3.1%)

6. Other industrial machinery … $38.1 billion, down 0.6% (3%)

7. Fuel oil … $34.9 billion, up 124.1% (2.7%)

8. Organic chemicals … $33.4 billion, up 5.5% (2.6%)

9. Telecommunications equipment … $32.9 billion, up 4.6% (2.6%)

10. Plastic materials … $31.6 billion, up 8.7% (2.5%).

The fastest growing exports from USA in 2008 by sector were:

1. Fuel oil … US$34.9 billion, up 124.1% from 2007

2. Metallurgical grade coal … $5.8 billion, up 97.8%

3. Chemical fertilizers … $10.8 billion, up 71%

4. Other coal and fuels … $2.8 billion, up 66.6%

5. Non-farm tractors and parts … $3.4 billion, up 62.2%

6. Rice … $2.3 billion, up 57.1%

7. Oilseeds and food oils … $3.2 billion, up 56.8%

8. Natural gas liquids … $3.3 billion, up 54.7%

9. Natural gas … $4.9 billion, up 54.6%

10. Unmanufactured goods from agricultural industry … $3.3 billion, up 53.8%.

Read more: www.importexportbook.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by DrumsRfun

There are a lot of things we sell that are not on consumers buying lists or show up on retail shelves. The question still remains what do we have that they can possibly want.

They already own us

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Well that is the question now isn't it?
What do they want/need that we can provide. Keeping their markets pretty much closed doesn't really help.

Your right it doesn't help, it also does help that your being shot in the foot by your own corporations, who design some new tech in the US and then send the production to China..

It feels like a repeat of Britain in the 70s, your being asset stripped right now for no other purpose than short term gains

But, here is the thing, as a nation your still designing most of the cutting edge bits of tech, so if you can keep that in house in your country then at least you could reclaim the rest of the global market even if your excluded from China.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
India, China buying U.S. coal mines, shale gas fields
www.grist.org...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
www.grist.org...

this is the problem, buy a company/mine and close it so you have less competition

I'm not saying that is what is happening, but sometimes that is the feeling I get..

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Why would they need to buy it, when they can reverse-engineer it, ignore patents and intellectual property rights and employ millions of Chinese to copy it?

Hu to Obama: NO!

Sadly, Obama didn't sell anything to the Chinese. He completely failed to get a commitment from Hu to honor our IP and patent rights. The most he was going to ask for was protection of our technology, and they wouldn't even agree to that.

We took human rights off the table long ago when Hillary first went over. If we can't protect people, how can we protect "Die Hard" or barbecue sauce?

Obama "diplomacy" = FAIL.

jw

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
www.grist.org...

That's interesting. It could explain what to me was an odd series of events. The coalfields were in full swing in the 70's and early 80's. Business was booming, and a lot of outside money was being injected into the local economies because of it. Then, in the late 80's and on through the 90's, coalfields started shutting down. It got to the point where, up in my neck of the woods, there were only 1 or two mines left in operation. Times were tough - no more outside money, people had to make do with what they had, and cast about for other income sources. Timbering took the lead at that point.

Now, in the past couple of years, I hear that the mines are starting up again.

Now I know why. Thanks, India. Thanks, China. Please, send more money - I'm getting low on ramen noodles.

I'll have to sit back and think this over a bit. I'm all for selling coal to anyone that wants to buy it, so I'm all for creating an export market. When the furriners actually come in and start buying ownership of the mines, however, that leaves me less than ecstatic. We've watched that movie before, when the yankees and carpetbaggers (also "furriners" to us - not much difference between them and the Chinese) came in and fleeced the locals of their mineral rights with a song and dance. All hell broke loose what with the furriners trying to dictate local policy, and the communists flooding in to "organize" unions. Hell STAYED broke loose until the mines started shutting down.

Then the economy nose-dived.

So, there may never be any peace for the locals. S'ok, I reckon, that's what we were born to, and that's what we're used to. There's ALWAYS been some one or anther trying to take over that land that God forgot, and that no one claims to want, backwards as it is and all. Gotta wonder WHY they've always tried to take over, if they don't want that rugged, backwards place to begin with.

Perplexing.

Now, the Chinese and Indians (from India this time, what a concept!) want to join the mix along with the Rockefellers and what not. The mind boggles. No shortage of fighters up there. Everyone need to start picking factions, I suppose.

I'm all for exports to all the furriners. Ownership, maybe not so much. I'll trade with you all day long, but when you start trying to throw chains on me, the trouble's gonna start.

All over again.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
it is same in uk.. i wonder what we have left to sell too..

kx

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join