It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beyond Human Comprehension: The Most Massive Black Hole in the Observable Universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Beyond Human Comprehension:
The Most Massive Black Hole in the Observable Universe -An Event Horizon 20 Billion Kilometers Across

Read entire article here

The black hole at the center of galaxy M87 fifty million light-years away is the most massive black hole for which a precise mass has been measured -6.6 billion solar masses.

Astronomer Karl Gebhardt of the University of Texas, Austin, said that the black hole’s event horizon, 20 billion km across “could swallow our solar system whole.”

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fba897b0ba6f.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Wow, that is beyond comprehension.

I've always heard that a human body would turn to into a strand of atoms and be stretched out. So we could not survive going into one.

But that thing is huge. I can't even imagine the size of our solar system, let alone something that can swallow it.

Well I really don't think that a black hole is doom.

If there really are multiverses, then sometimes one might be bumping against another. It is supposed to look like bubbles, the skin of each bubble is a universe. So I think a black hole is just where one is bumping against another really.

If this sucked our universe in, maybe we wouldn't know it, and just get spit out some other place.

edit on 19-1-2011 by jessieg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

To get an idea of that size, the Sun has a diameter of 1,392,000 km. So 20,000,000,000 km / 1,392,000 km = 14,367!!!

So if you lined up 14,367 Suns in a row, edge-to-edge, that would equal the diameter of this black hole. Yikes

Also, 20 billion km is about 133 Astronomical Units (AU's) - that means the diameter of this thing is 133 times BIGGER than the distance of our Earth to our Sun. Neptune is only 30 AU from the sun. This black holes is so incredibly massive.

edit on 19-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
M87 courtesy of GoogleSky:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c30274490402.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessieg

Well I really don't think that a black hole is doom.

If there really are multiverses, then sometimes one might be bumping against another. It is supposed to look like bubbles, the skin of each bubble is a universe. So I think a black hole is just where one is bumping against another really.

If this sucked our universe in, maybe we wouldn't know it, and just get spit out some other place.

edit on 19-1-2011 by jessieg because: (no reason given)

Interesting theory. I have never considered anything like this.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Yea this m87 is very special as its behavoir is very intresting

The M87 galactic jet has been observed to eject matter at speeds faster than the speed of light. Theories proposing orientation as a solution for this do not agree well with observation. Peratt has shown how charged plasma can account for all observations of the M87 galactic jet without the need to invoke ‘black holes’. Indeed, Peratt’s theory, which is based on Alfven’s work, can account for the double jets we observe in some AGNs – which I believe remains unexplained in the standard model. Double radio sources were predicted by Alfven before their discovery. Paper showing this to be true can be found here. Further supporting evidence on the role of particle beams in space plasmas and their effects can be found here.

fascistsoup.com...

Now surley this is some sort of observation glitch , we do have a cosmic speed limit right?

"Lobes of matter from the jet extend out to a distance of 250,000 light-years.[58] In pictures taken by the Hubble Space Telescope in 1999, the motion of Messier 87's jet was measured at four to six times the speed of light. This motion may be a visual result of the relativistic velocity of the jet, and not true superluminal motion. However, detection of such motion supports the theory that quasars, BL Lac objects and radio galaxies may all be the same phenomenon, known as active galaxies, viewed from different perspectives"

en.wikipedia.org...

4- 6 times the speed of light? may be a visual result of relativistic velocity of the jet of course!
edit on 19-1-2011 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

If matter can travel faster than the speed of light, then it would mean something is going on we don't understand, and the black hole of M87 of all places would seem to be an appropriate place for that to happen. There is no way we have even an inkling of what's going on there. Not a clue.

The Universe is full of things we haven't even dreamed of yet.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
What happens to a Black hole when it has eaten everything around it? I mean, eventually there is nothing close enough that can be pulled in, right? So it is still there, but I think something happens where it doesn't glow as brightly, because it is no longer pulling any light into itself.

But maybe eventually all the matter in the black hole suddenly goes bang, like the big bang, and that spits all the matter back out again!

Maybe this happens over and over again!

Even though stuff gets spit out into space, I still think a creator is responsible for the actual lifeforms.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

I think the "creator" is responsible for creation itself. There alike. The "creator" is responsible for all creation because it is creation. To me, the planets, the galaxies, and the universe itself are life forms. Everything is alive, not just creatures on this planet or the next, but the planet itself, as well as the galaxy and everything as a whole. There is birth and death in everything in existence, so in my opinion there is life everywhere you look whether here, or in the universe.

Anyways, I can't believe how massive that black hole is. There's so much to understand that mankind will probably never understand everything there is to understand.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

I'm surprised it hasn't sucked us up yet...lol

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

You're assuming the same density as the sun. That's not how you determine the size of a black hole. Just a wild guess, I'd say it's smaller than the sun. I'm no mathematician, so I'll leave it for others to calculate the Schwarzschild radius or provide a referece for it.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you were equating mass with volume. I see that the link in the OP states, "6.6 billion solar masses," and, "20 billion km across". I'll have to take their word for it.
edit on 2011/1/19 by Phractal Phil because: (no reason given)

EDIT: If it is 14,367 solar diameters and 6.6 billion solar masses, then the sun is about 500 times denser than this black hole. That challenges my preconceptions.
edit on 2011/1/19 by Phractal Phil because: (no reason given)

top topics

join