It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banned from the Bible

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Very interesting book I read recently: The Templar Revelation by Picknett&Prince. Contains discussion on each of these omitted texts. Found myself in general agreement with thier conclusions as well. Something they barely touched on in the program; the influance of the Egyptian religion and of the Pagans as well as the Gnostics.

Gotta love a good heresy!

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by scottsquared
Very interesting book I read recently: The Templar Revelation by Picknett&Prince. Contains discussion on each of these omitted texts. Found myself in general agreement with thier conclusions as well. Something they barely touched on in the program; the influance of the Egyptian religion and of the Pagans as well as the Gnostics.

Oh oh oh!!!

I bought that book and read the first 4 or 5 chapters then got bored of it.

I guess i'll just have to take it up again.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
What about him blinding someone who criticizes Josephs work? Or knocking his teacher and freinds down with his power. He was a brat who grew up and learned to use his powers for good. It is a great story, one of the best, but left out.

As i said.

Criticising the absolute infallibility of God is NOT permitted.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   

What about him blinding someone who criticizes Josephs work? Or knocking his teacher and freinds down with his power. He was a brat who grew up and learned to use his powers for good. It is a great story, one of the best, but left out.

Forgot about those, yeah I don't see why they left that out, very good lesson on responsibility, because if I had divine powers.... We'll just leave it at that.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

Oh oh oh!!!

I bought that book and read the first 4 or 5 chapters then got bored of it.

I guess i'll just have to take it up again.

Yeah, it was a tad dry. Also, as I already knew of most of the heresies described, I was not as SHOCKED as the authors try to imply. The real shock is that more people don't know more about thier own religion. I'm not even Christian and I know considerably more about the Church than most Church-goers.

df1

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by StickyG

God said, "Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed which is upon the face of all the earth.To you it will be for meat." And God saw everything that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. (Genesis 1:29-31)

Proof God gave us marijuana? hehe.

Don't get all crazy on me with this, just always think about this line when people bring up weed and the Bible.

Rastafarians are a christian sect in which most members believe in the sacramental use of marijuana by smoking or ingesting for spiritual reasons, to get high, and become closer to God via revelation through meditation. The last I heard the US courts do not recognize this practice as being legal. I suspect if the US courts were to recognize the rastafarian sacrament that it would quickly become the largest christian religion in america, as employers could not deny rastafarians employment for practicing their religion.

[edit on 10-7-2004 by df1]

[edit on 10-7-2004 by df1]

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
I watched it, was very entertaining. I'm interested in reading the entire version of the life of adam and eve for my own purposes. I wonder if I can find an online version some where.... *gewgles*

A number of these works can be found online here:
www.earth-history.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   

God said, "Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed which is upon the face of all the earth.To you it will be for meat." And God saw everything that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. (Genesis 1:29-31)

Don't get all crazy on me with this, just always think about this line when people bring up weed and the Bible.

cheers,

StickyG

Tell me about it man! You want more proof? "The burning bush"???EH?????Now...tell me if by bush they really mean............plant. and by burning they actually mean.............burning.

SOMEBODY WAS LIGHTIN UP!

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Left out why? Simply because it doesn't fit in that Jesus could "learn"" anything. If he is truly God, and truly "divine" (as the vatican says, and they never lie, right?) then he would not learn any lessons because hes perfect.

Trying to teach humans good lessons and how to live life to the fullest? Excellent story.

Trying to make all those humans believe that this brat is the all perfect God?
Not so good.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   
very interesting about the fallen ones and the giants. it fits in SO well with ALL the ancient mythologies. Like Zeus and Hercules, the son of a God. He was a renouned HERO of old, and his fame spread because of all the amazing things he could do being half devine.

Also interestingly enough it fits to some degree with the theory that aliens came and caused our knowledge to be jump started and advanced. Only it was angels not aliens. Little know is cosmetics, that angels taught women how to wear cosmietics to make them look more appealing.

Although Enouch isnt in the bible I believe it, because its referenced in Jude and briefly covered in Genesis.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   

cheers,

StickyG

Of course He gave us marijuana! He also gave us poison ivy...I don't see people jumping to smoke that though.

Don't take me as a "Bible thumping legalist", though I do believe the Bible and try to live by its teaching. I think the physical effect of marijuana is great. It is just illegal and smoking it is extremely unhealthy. I used to smoke pot all the time and cigarettes too. I stopped them both once I decided that they were bad for my body...and started to live my beliefs that breaking the law intentionally wasn't what God wanted me to do.

Just because a book is popular doesn't necessarily make it true. Take the Harry Potter series for instance.

Something I could never understand about some of the "tricks" Jesus was purported to do in some of those "Extra-biblical" books, if He was going to push a friend off the roof and kill him just to bring him back, why not avoid him dieing in the first place? If he had to lengthen a board for His step dad, why not just poof the whole cradenza into being instead? While you're at it, make a whole new house, naaaa, city, naaaa planet, well hey! Just make a whole new universe where mankind is actually a part of the recliner and have remote controls actually embedded in our wrists.

HEY Just make our eyeballs little TVs with the Beverly Hillbillys running non-stop...(sorry about the Beverly Hillbillys, I just bought a DVD set of 20 episodes of them...haven't had time to watch them yet though)

Why give us teeth that we have to chew our food with, just have it go into our bloodstream without the effort. Why have blood that leaks out when we are cut, make it a gell that won't leak. Make evrything dull so we won't get cut in the first place.

Much of this when taken to the extreme obviously doesn't make any sense. All the miracles listed in the generally accepted Bible had a purpose other than just doing a trick like the ones mentioned in earlier. The closest recorded miracle to a trick was the water into wine. But I think was symbolic as His first miracle and the last liquid He drank and offered to His friends at the "Last Supper".

df1

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
leiphasw:
I think you have been tipping a bit too much of the sacramental wine or perhaps those brownies had some substance of which you were unaware, as you appear to be experiencing some rasta man vibrations.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Hi James the Lesser:

Actually there were TWO Gospel of Thomas books out there in the 2nd century AD:

l. The Gospel of Thomas (Greek) = 113 sayings placed into the mouth of "Iesous" = the Coptic version of this collection (in 3rd century AD Ethiopic) was found at Nag Hammadi in 1945

2. The Infancy Gospel of Thomas (probably originally Greek); only the last pericope was quoted by the author of Luke (i.e. the story of "Jeezuzz" at his equivalent of a 1st century AD barMitzvah "stumping the doctors" for "three days" while his parents were searching for him during a feast.

The First collection of sayings (some are clumped together under one number, so there are more like 190 sayings) has been worked over by Gnostics but contain some ancient sayings which might predate the gospel of Mark or at least come from the same time period.

The Second ("Infancy") Gospel is a midrashic expansion of certain messianic verses in the Old Testment, in other words, haggadah legends, not "facts".

And to add fuel to this debate, those who claim they can know "the Jesus of History" by reading the gospel propaganda alone are sadly mistaken because we are not dealing with biography here but Midrashic expansions with a clear and definite "agenda" ("these things were written so that you might believe that Jesus is the Christos and by believing you might have life in his name", from the gospel of John).

The Christian "church" has spent the last 2000 years trying to explain away the fact that R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean ("Jeeezuzz" to the Americans) was executed as a political seditionist against Rome during a failed revolt during a feast during the reign of the Emperor Tiberius, who had a law on his books, No King But Caesar...(the socalled LEX MAIESTATIS) which carried the death penalty.

Read the stories in The Synoptics and John ref: the Titilus on the Cross in the Gospel Material, probably the most "historical" portion of those books, which at any rate contradict each other on more than 190 different points of "fact" (e.g. did Iesous carry the cross "for himself"? as it states in John's gospel, or did Shimeon of Cyrene carry it for him as in the Synoptic Gospels of Matt Mark and Luke?

If you want more, then read the two contradictory "Genealogies" in Matthew and Luke to show how utterly ridiculous the gospel narratives are if you look at them as history or biography in the modern "positivisitc" sense. Matthew has to cut out at least 11 generations of the kings of Judah betweeen BC 670 and BC 620 in order to fashion his gemmatrial 14 generations: 14 was the gemmatria for DVD = David)

But then again, "Christians" aren't allowed to know these little hidden facts....

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Just adding my 2 bits...IT"S A BOOK OF STORIES!! How many times has it been written and re-written? Who left out this, who left out that. I don't like this, so, I'll take it out....

Take it for what it is and all will be well. God is fallible. If he was infallible, then he would have gotten rid of this mistake a long time ago......

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Thanks for that. People seem to forget that Religion has always been a means of social/political control. Various texts were selected/excluded from the official cannon for very specific reasons relating to the impact forseen by thier inclusion/exclusion.

Look at Constantine's original Convocation of Bishops. Were they not DECIDING on an accepted Cannon to be used to forward a particular cause?

Does Islam not select/edit from these same texts in it's schism from Christianity?

The real crux of this biscuit is that there IS NO definitive "Jesus" story for all sects to ascribe to. Get over it, act a moral life for the sake of morality in and of itself. Spirituality and Faith are two very different concepts. Spirituality, I would argue is probably a necessary emotive response, an intellectual/emotional search for meaning. Faith is an illogical cop-out to the unexplainable/unknowable, a defining of the undefinable.

edited for spelling

[edit on 11-7-2004 by scottsquared]

[edit on 11-7-2004 by scottsquared]

df1

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett1972
God is fallible. If he was infallible, then he would have gotten rid of this mistake a long time ago......

Man is fallible. The religions of man are fallible. The clergy that claims to speak for God are all fallible.

Just look around yourself at the people, the trees, the animals, the earth, the seas, the sky, the solar system, the universe and everything around you. It all works in perfect order according to Gods plan which is beyond the ability of man to understand.

If you can't see it, you aren't looking hard enough. I must agree with your statement on another thread in which you asserted that you are neither voltaire or einstein.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1

Man is fallible. The religions of man are fallible. The clergy that claims to speak for God are all fallible.

Just look around yourself at the people, the trees, the animals, the earth, the seas, the sky, the solar system, the universe and everything around you. It all works in perfect order according to Gods plan which is beyond the ability of man to understand.

Your little tautological argument for infallibility of God is not worth the cyber-space it takes-up. Try another tact.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
These wrtings were in the Bible...the ones written in Hewbrew. Unfortunatly almost none exist today. The Catholic Church removed anything they didnt like from the Bible, the things they thought were "denonish."

df1

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Your little tautological argument for infallibility of God is not worth the cyber-space it takes-up. Try another tact.

No other tact is required.

The existance of God is not dependent on your belief or lack of belief.

I do not believe one will be punished for not believing in God.

I do not believe one will be rewarded for believing in God.

God is the creator of the order, harmony and the essence of everything and everything is operating as intended from the smallest molecules to largest galaxies. God is amoral. Everything man considers good is the product of God and everything that man considers evil is the product of God.

God just is... As for religion, I have none to sell.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
delete

[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join