It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun storm to hit with 'force of 100m bombs'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Sun storm to hit with 'force of 100m bombs'

www.news.com.au

This week several US media outlets reported that NASA was warning the massive flare that caused spectacular light shows on Earth earlier this month was just a precursor to a massive solar storm building that had the potential to wipe out the entire planet's power grid.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well this wouldn't be very fun, would it? I don't know how serious this is or isn't, or if the solar storm would be as bad as the article suggests. Nonetheless it is a little unsettling. It reminds me of a program on Discovery a few years back about a massive solar storm crippling earth. It didn't exactly paint a rosy picture.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by InterestedObserver

From what ive read the possibility of a Solar flare that will knock out electronics is increasingly possible

To be honest i look forward to seeing how all the Attention Seekers can possibly exist without thier facebook and Twitter accounts, Itll be like thier life ending as they know it

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
While I think a disruption would be great news for people plugged into twitter, etc ... it will be deadly to many millions of us who are dependent upon society .. upon food being shipped in .. upon MEDICINES to keep us alive and/or going. I certainly am. (unfortunately .. nothing I can do about it)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
We've had power grid disruptions due to solar flares before. In another thread i mentioned that the flare would overload the system and blow transformers. Transformers take months to build and are expensive so no one is sitting on a stockpile of them.

Base case scenario, solar flare his, blows the North American power grid and we're offline for a few months, no power, water (pumps require power for pressure), you name it.

WORST case scenario, solar flare hits, blows the transformers and fries, vaporizes, the high voltage lines. If that happens, it could be over a year before full power is restored.

To be honest i look forward to seeing how all the Attention Seekers can possibly exist without thier facebook and Twitter accounts, Itll be like thier life ending as they know it

the same could be said for posters on ATS

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
What sort of bomb? And over what period of time? Because if it's 100 pipe bombs over a hundred million years... no worries. If it's a hundred million atom-bombs over thirty seconds.... lots of worries.

Couldn't it hit one of the many parts of earth's orbit that we're not in? Wouldn't that be easier for everyone involved?

EDIT: Ooh, Power disruptions? I'd be forced to actually leave the house and communicate with flesh and blood people... who would be forced not to spend the entire episode of communication texting... BRING IT ON!!!
edit on 19/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Check out “Earth Under Fire” on youtube – a documentary based on the research of Dr. Paul LaViolette. Originally a book, it is now a very interesting video. LaViolette warned us years ago about this, that the sun would begin to “wake-up” and go into an active stage. It would be switched on by a Super Galactic Wave head our way from the centre of the galaxy.

So basically, bunker down because it is going to get quite ugly here on planet Earth. Watch the video – you will get what I mean!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by phishybongwaters

Hardly, i Post to inform and Share information and gain insight into my own thoughts, Comparitive to twitter which is updated by people informing others that they just had their hair done or ate a sandwich, Which is usefull to no-one

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by InterestedObserver

from the same article

NASA has since rebutted those reports, saying it could come "100 years away or just 100 days" Read more: www.news.com.au...

So basically it may or may not happen in our life times...why even bother talking about it if they're not sure?
I mean I could say that a huge volcano will erupt in 100days or 100years either way im right because there is
usually one big volcanic eruption every century...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

They claim satellites will be aged by 50 years, rendering GPS even more useless than ever, and the blast will have the equivalent energy of 100 million hydrogen bombs.

“We know it is coming but we don’t know how bad it is going to be,” Dr Fisher told Mr Reneke in the most recent issue of Australasian Science. “Systems will just not work.

The flares change the magnetic field on the Earth and it’s rapid, just like a lightning bolt. "That’s the solar effect.”

100 million bombs

OK pure speculation, but I really don't like the way they word that.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Farewell my brothers and sisters.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Have been hearing this allot over past year or so!
They must be expecting something all this hype for a solar maximum that happens on a regular basis,
is unprecedented.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

so this kid is gonna be up sheet creek then...but I agree 1/2 the population is gonna probably kill over if they don't have access to FB or twitter...
))

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool

YOU ARE ETERNAL.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool

SOrry.. OT but when I read your post and looked at your avatar.. too funny.

Sounds like more speculation.. the same kind we have heard for decades. If it happens it happens.. we cant stop it. Prepare sensibly for a disaster and move on. We will individually survive or not.

I have a child who requires medication to stay alive ( liver transplant recipient). I hate these disaster scenarios because it makes me think of her and all of the other people who will not get what they need to survive.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Isn't this the same premise as the movie "the day the earth stood still"?
They would let man survive but he must start all over with from the beginning with no cell phones, computers, weapons, etc.
Just curious because they keep showing the movie and some recent posts have mentioned they showed waterworld before the floods in Australia and backdratf before the explosion on the oil platform so just throwing it out there.
This is just my opinion but the only way people change is to be faced with a life or death situation and even then some go back to to the way they were or become even worse.
Man will never change of his own accord without a catalyst.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by laslidealist

I think the solar flares will only effect electrical technology as long as they continue, and there should be no underlying effects after they stop so i doubt itll permantly effect technology.

That said i wish people would stop using technology and Actually live they're lives rather than wasting most of it either staring at a T.V or Updating twitter.

However there is tecnology that should be kept such as revolutionary hospital equipment etc

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
does anyone with any knowledge on this subject know if this has ever happened in the past before the north east of england gave us useable electricity, generators and pylons.
maybe it might be nice for a bit to have no electricity (apart from the people who will die at hospitals etc....) i would definatly spend more time reading books and less time watching documentaries while writing rubbish on blogs and forumns

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Everyone needs some livestock, I think.
I say if this happens, you can't eat your gold. You can trade with it. But you need some sustainable food. Livestock that can survive the cold or desert conditions and live with less water and food. Maybe something like some goats for meat and milk.

When everyone moves North towards the great lakes, Canada, or Alaska to seek water, don't go where the crowd is going. Move west to the desert, where the animals are already acclimated to living in desert conditions.

Your life will be like the people of the desert, herding goats, pitching tents, foraging for food and water. A nomadic life like a desert dweller.

You have to use dried animal dung for fuel, make adobe houses or tents, make a solar still or well for water.

You eat desert plants such as prickly pear cactus and whatever can grow there.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

Yes it has happend before, Solar flares caused a bit of a stir back in 1859, Of course It probably has happend many times in history but below is the most recently recorded solar storm:

en.wikipedia.org...

On September 1–2, 1859, the largest recorded geomagnetic storm occurred. Aurorae were seen around the world, most notably over the Caribbean; also noteworthy were those over the Rocky Mountains that were so bright that their glow awoke gold miners, who began preparing breakfast because they thought it was morning.[3]

Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed in some cases even shocking telegraph operators.[4] Telegraph pylons threw sparks and telegraph paper spontaneously caught fire. Some telegraph systems appeared to continue to send and receive messages despite having been disconnected from their power supplies.

edit on 19/1/11 by TedHodgson because: spelling

And other, less notable flares have occured since:

In modern times, the largest solar flare measured with instruments occurred on November 4, 2003 (initially measured at X28 and later upgraded to X45).[8][9] Other large solar flares also occurred on April 2, 2001 (X20), October 28, 2003 (X17) and September 7, 2005 (X17).[10] In 1989, during former solar cycle 22 two large flares occurred in March, 6 (X15) and August, 16 (X20) causing disruptions in electric grids and computer systems.[11] A complete list is available at

edit on 19/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join