It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed Gets Big Bucks to Prep Soldiers for Urban War

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Common sense tells me that this training shouldhave taken place BEFORE the war in IRAQ....lol....but it does make me question the motivation for the recent allocation of US resources....do we plan on invading another country soon?

makes you wonder...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by punctual

Common sense tells me that this training shouldhave taken place BEFORE the war in IRAQ....lol....but it does make me question the motivation for the recent allocation of US resources....do we plan on invading another country soon?

makes you wonder...

This is more along the lines to what I was thinking. Our forces already have some training in urban warfare, but this training seems to be more focused, so the question is why now, and why now when supposedly we should be seeking to spend less rather than spend more money.

There is also the possibility this training is in case TSHTF and the economic crisis deepens and there is a need for Martial Law to be implemented, but my first thought was that we could also be getting our troops ready for another war abroad, which is also a possibility.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Don't want to see the troops and Marines rusty in urban warfare do we eh? Not to mention that the majority of the world's population are in urban areas and will keep on increasing. So better to be prepare for the jungles of concrete.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Don't want to see the troops and Marines rusty in urban warfare do we eh? Not to mention that the majority of the world's population are in urban areas and will keep on increasing. So better to be prepare for the jungles of concrete.

And this is happening in a time of economic crisis, when we should be trying to spend less. We do not need to start another war anywhere.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LanMan54

I've thought about exactly what this article talks about. Now, let's get rid of the war on drugs as well and see how quickly the unemployed population grows as the prisoners are released and the associated guards, etc are laid off. What do you think, an unemployment rate of 35 - 40%?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I wuld be concerned of outfits like Xe(Blackwater) were doing the martial law footwork instead of the reserves.
The private armies now contracting out to goverments have shown eagerness to contract out on these big disaster scenes, like Katrina.
I rhink they hired whackenhut to police the BP spill, or blackwater...these are a worse alternative.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
$287,000,000 is smaller than the budgets for some movies and movie series/serials.

We've been fighting "urban warfare" since 1917 when we associated with the British and French to liberate European cities. (We actually fought in the streets of Monterrey, Mexico in the 1800's)

Same in WWII and most recently with the invasions of Panama and Grenada.

We went into Baghdad twice, and are still skirmishing in dozens of Iraqi and Afghan cities.

Of course, we had to train for these interventions and have had the facilities to do so for longer than you think. I grew up in Central Texas and war games included urban settings as well as "trench warfare" near San Antonio and Killeen. They still fire cannon at Ft. Sam Houston in central San Antonio.

Many people have long argued that the government should farm-out such construction projects to sustain private employment and minimize costs.

Would we prefer that the military build these "movie sets" instead of locals carpenters, excavators and iron workers, et c.?

jw

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Aren't Lockheed Martin 1 of those companies that did really well out of the Welfare To Work program? Perhaps they'll combine the 2 projects. Get a bunch of poor American inner city dwellers to act as the targets... er, I mean collateral damage... oops! I dunno whats wrong with me today, what I mean to say is of course, "innocent population amongst whom evil insurgents are hiding."

Its an all round winner of an idea: keeps the unemployment figures down, makes money for Lockheed, gives the army training shooting nylon training bullets @the kind of Americans they'll be expected to control as the constantly falling US$ leads to constantly rising gasoline & imported food prices so that, in the largest US cities, eventually (& depending on what Mr. Obama is prepared to give up to Mr. Hu & Mr. Putin, that could be quite soon) just getting 1 good meal a day becomes an issue for the poor.

I applaud the sentiments of The Oathkeepers, its just that we only have to look through history to know that soldiers will turn on each other if ordered to. So yeah, maybe these folks will attempt to resist orders to deploy against fellow Americans... They'll get jailed &/or shot. Faced with that prospect, history shows most will do as they're told. There may well be an increase in officer fragging, but the army aren't stupid, crazy maybe, but they'll have anticipated that problem & have the Military Police on hand to deal with it.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Yes, but they are adding this cost and including more especialized training, but our Armed Forces already have urban warfare training, we have had it for quite a long time, so imo they are expecting another urban war, as to where, we can only speculate. This is what i was trying to point out.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I'm just curious. If the emphasis is on 'urban combat' what happens if they get drawn into a rural or wilderness conflict?

The Army recently did a study that showed that soldiers that grew up hunting had better sensory awareness than their suburban counterparts. So, what are these kids from the burbs going to do if they get drawn back into the jungles, the mountains, etc?

Last deer season I helped three lost guardsman that had wandered from their base onto our very large public hunting area. They were over 12 miles from the perimeter of their base and heading the wrong direction. They were in a HUMVEE! They were driving in circles, no map, with a GPS that they weren't quite sure how to use.

They were all very nice young men, but they were scared, that was obvious. So, they followed me back to the perimeter of their base. As I turned back around, one of the young men stuck his head out the window and said, "Thank you, I hope you don't get lost on your way back." I just smiled and waved and held up my compass.

I drove over 15 miles back to the main gate of the hunting area, along pig trails, some of it unfamiliar, and was back on the main road in thirty minutes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join