It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you believe in UFOs, why not believe in God?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demoncreeper
Didn't the pope recently express his approval for the search for extra terrestrial life? Saying it would be good if we found some, and that all life was created under God anyways? So it wouldn't downplay an existence of God but be a good show of His creative abilities? haha.

Just sayin.

That's what the Pope wants you to believe. That there is no clash. Except the bible basically states that man is basically the center of creation which doesn't fit with other intelligent life.

What happens when Aliens say "we don't know what you're talking about" when they're asked about a vague Genesis reference? "Oh that was that was only a metaphor, and that one. . . and that one" says the Christian clasping at staws. heh.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Demoncreeper

Didn't the Vatican meet with the UN, recently, on how to handle the masses on the ufo matter?
Or could the Catholic church use the ufo theory for the NWO senerio??

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by lioevilo

I agree, more or less, though I don't like the use of the word UFO here as a UFO is any unidentified object in the sky and thus they obviously do exist. I would change the wording to alien visitation or alien spacecraft.

I agree though, one requires faith to believe something without evidence and as there is no solid evidence for aliens visiting the Earth the belief in them isn't that far removed from God belief.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lioevilo
If you believe in UFOs, why not believe in God

I believe in both because I've had experiences with both. Saw two UFOs - years apart (the 'disk' and the 'cigar'). Had a handful of close encounters with God as well. Not the kind where you are in a church and get all worked up and fall over ... but the kind where, out of the blue, the divine actually touches the soul.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Not why not but it is implicated for the God section, what is the forum
itself. It is touching the reason of our and their existence. Why the human
mind utilize only 5-6 % of its capabilities. For what we are designed this way
and why we can be so bored of our life independently of our wealth estate.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by igor_ats

Good point. I've talk to hard core christians, and they cant believe that Alien beings wouldnt beilieve in God

If Alien beings did, wouldnt they be down here right now trying to save our souls and throwing a bible at me?

Or if they were evil sent from Satan, wouldnt they be convincing me that Satan is the Grand Master?

edit on 19-1-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: adding

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I actually think the correct question should be:

If you believe in God, why not believe in UFOs?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Religious forum seems right to me. It is obvious that the core of this thread is religion and not Aliens & UFOs.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by realitydiscovered

That is an urban legend and has been proven false many times. A quick example, look how much a person changes if they have had a lobotomy.

10% of brain myth

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lioevilo
Lets throw out some cold hard truths.Although, there has been many, many, people who have seen ufos, there is no concrete proof that they do exist. Sure, there have been photos and videos, but this is all speculative.It just makes me nuts for people to believe in something that is not provable then totally shoot down the idea that there is a God.

Mods, I wasnt sure where to place this. either in the UFO section or the God section.Thanks

Oh come on! There is more than enough evidence that some ufo's are complete unknowns and defy explanation. What these objects are, we just don't know. Not just that, what we know about the universe so far tells us that life in the universe is very likely. Its nothing divine, its just life.

And as for God, there is no evidence at all that a God exists. Everything that religious people use to believe, has been proved wrong by science. Im not saying there is no God, but i don't think its likely in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I think many are confusing a belief in God with Religion....

One can be spiritual and or have belief in a God without being anchored by a traditional main stream perception of Religion.

AGAIN: I see no conflict with believing both are possible.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Errr I don't "believe" in both. I think reason and logic can be compelling enough to consider both hypotheses likely (that there is an intelligent designer, and that some UFOs may be ET spacecraft). I do not lightly accept anything based on faith alone.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I think many are confusing a belief in God with Religion....

One can be spiritual and or have belief in a God without being anchored by a traditional main stream perception of Religion.

AGAIN: I see no conflict with believing both are possible.
Totally agree. It seems the equivocation between the designer(s) and some mainstream religion is too hastily made.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I love when people say that God doesn't exist, as they are just as idiotic as the people who say he definitely DOES exist.

The truth is, given humanity's primitive understanding of quantum physics, there is no way as of yet to conclusively prove or disprove the existence of a higher dimensional being/beings.

I think sometimes mankind, in his arrogance, think of ourselves as the apex of the universe, when in reality we are little more than glorified apes at this point in time.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think the right question is:

If you believe in aliens, why not believe in God?(because UFO is only a thing you cant identify)

Im a pragmatic agnostic.

The view that there is no proof of either the existence or nonexistence of any deity, but since any deity that may exist appears unconcerned for the universe or the welfare of its inhabitants, the question is largely academic

en.wikipedia.org...

So, to me. you cant proof or disproof God.

On the subject of extraterrestrial life, I think is impossible for us being the only conscious beings in the universe.
The fact that the universe is infinite already is a good clue. But not proof. The proof would be the contact. I suppose this has already happened. Many governments already released files which was established some form of contact. There is several examples here on ATS site.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
A "UFO" is unidentified, it flies around, and it's some kind of object. I think it's reasonable that people might run across one of those occasionally.

"GOD," on the other hand... Just what are we talking about here? Can you define it enough so we can get a handle on it? Thanks.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

I guess what you are trying to say is that one is within the material zone, and one within the spiritual zone. Is what you are saying ,that material things can be known and spiritual things cant? I dont quite understand.

edit on 19-1-2011 by lioevilo because: miss spell

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dudez

Belief is the primary reason, what you know and what you see, how they
are related to your beliefs. If there are UFOs and you see them and if you
are a good Christian you will find the way to them. Jesus is not prohibited
us to explore the reality. It is a part of the God design.

edit on 19-1-2011 by realitydiscovered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
My thing is , is that I have seen ufos. To me they are real. I cant prove it though. On the other hand I have never seen god, However I believe he exists as well Although I can not prove this as well. Does that make any sense? lol

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris
And as for God, there is no evidence at all that a God exists. Everything that religious people use to believe, has been proved wrong by science. Im not saying there is no God, but i don't think its likely in my opinion.
if it is not likely, you must have done some caulations. How much is it "not likely"? Is the chance 10% 20%? Where are these figures published?

There is no scientific evidence which argues against a designer per se. In fact, one could easily argue the opposite. That evidence for a designer is, for example, found in the fine tuning of the universe. There are plenty of philosophical arguments in favor of a designer as well. I'm not going to rehash any of those here, they've been part of academic debates for centuries. Atheistic counter arguments are not at all persuasive, many of those arguments too are religious at its core (e.g. why is there evil?).

In the end, it all comes down to a person's worldview. And worldviews are not changed easily.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join