It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police State?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Recently, an officer of the Toronto Police Service was killed on duty. It never really occurred to me until just now how quickly we here in Canada are moving towards a POLICE STATE.
At the very public funeral for the police officer, there was a lone protester, with a sign that read 'NO POLICE STATE'. He was quickly arrested, and thrown in jail.
That reminded me of the G20 protests in Toronto last summer. Where people we arrested en mass for peacefully protesting. Same thing happened a few years previous in Montebello Quebec.
There was a massive showing of solidarity, (force), at this funeral by thousands of police officers. Looking at the pictures of these police officers, (soldiers), it reminded me of photo's of Nazi Germany. How far off the mark am I on this one?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The irony in this story just says it all really.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I don't think you are far off the mark here. It's becoming more and more evident that people can't peacefully protest and have their voices heard.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It should be mentioned that at the Montebello incident it was later proven that the "anarchists" smashing windows and causing trouble were actually RCMP officers. there is a video on youtube that shows this, and later they were forced to admit it.

That is the definition of a police state, the police dressed as protesters smashing windows to allow for the police crackdown on everyone else.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Police state? Naw...I don't quite see it, especially in this era where more local forces are being cut and state agencies are struggling to take over the slack if not facing cuts of their own.

There are times when police presence appears overwhelming...during times of elevated security levels or during meetings like the G20, when dignitaries visit, during planned protests. What a lot of people don't realize is that this show of force is usually cops picking up extra shifts, many even coming in from neighboring states. By the same token, presence at a funeral...well....

Further, I think the people crying "police state" just might have some agendas...say to instill fear or mistrust, to rally people to one cause or another, or even to get people to support the dismantling of police unions, which are still among the strongest in the nation, to say get rid of a lot of the pesky pensions or maybe get the police forces privatized so that some corporations can make some big bucks or maybe even federalized.

Is it something to be vigilant about? Sure. But buying into their agendas blindly is probably the opposite of vigilance. Is it as huge an issue as some would love for you to think? I don't think so.

edit on 1/19/2011 by ~Lucidity because: typo occurred.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by moondoggy2

I am having a difficult time understanding with an open mind this thread...I will say how I see this. An officer is killed, his friends and family are grieving and laying to rest a loved one ( we may hate police but they have friends and family who love this policeman) so a lone protestor peacefully holds a sign against police statet. I understand his concern yet I do not understand the place of this protest, and do not agree it was right. A funeral is a sacrid ending to ones life, regardless of his job title. This reminds me of the religous nuts who protest the fallen soldiers funerals, and recently tried to protest at the 9 year old who was killed in the arizona slayings...There is a place for protest and it is nto at the funeral...What would you think if you was burying a loved one and had a protestor peacefully displaying his disagreements? You would be angry

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by prexparte

Sure, I'd be pissed off. However, stated in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms, he has a RIGHT to be there. To protest peacefully. I'm not denying it was in bad taste. What I'm saying is that his fundamental rights were violated. Our Charter of Rights and Freedoms are entrenched inside our Criminal Code. Therefore, if you violate any of those rights, you are in fact breaking the law.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I do understand the rights. I just think what happen was more out of grief stricken action, you know?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well lets be honest, just south of Canada is America. America currently has over 2,000 police orginisations. And sadly in recent years ive been witnessing Canada become more and more like America all the time.

Having said that though, if a member of my family was murderd on duty, and some stranger showed up at there funeral as some sort of protest, id probably get arrested myself for the harm i would cause them. Using a funeral to protest something is pretty bad form to be honest.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

If you think thats bad, i cannot think to myself in london, without the clowns using these techs on me, turning every thought into some sort of crime.

I have never committed a crime.

My life in london since school in 1992 has been like i reckon stasi campaign.

Then the uk gov talk about human rights on tv, lol, no such thing.

Not surprising one bit about canada, as all the commonwealth countries seem to be under the same thing, and that includes usa in that.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
After the G20 debacle, and the highly alarming fact that the Ombudsman stated Martial Law was secretly declared, without debate or warning, I find our basic civic and Human rights can be suppressed should we ever get in the way. Our freedom of speech is threatened in North America, our right to protests, expression and consciousness is under attack.

Here is the link to the Ombudsman`s disturbing investigation. Good Bye Freedom, Canada
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc3jlxN_fzA
edit on 19-1-2011 by Terreborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Seymour Hersh, the New Yorker Journalist, unleashes news of a neoconservative conspiracy, and the ugly facts of the Obama administration and US foreign Policy.

This man has been on the front lines of politics, and his confession is very relevant. Hersh proves much of the police state and neoconservative conspiracies!

blog.foreignpolicy.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

You will see alot more of this in the future. Things all around the world are changing and not for the better. See, governments don't want the people to be heard which is why they are now trying to put laws on everything to stop us from speaking. The more people stand by and let this happen, the more rights will be taken away until we have none left. The governments want wars to keep going because it makes people scared into putting up more laws for "protection" all the while they are not there to help but to chain us. We once had our chains removed but we have now allowed them to start being placed on our hands once again.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
You will all be interested in knowing that I received an e-mail from a friend of mine. That e-mail was regarding my blog post on this subject. I should also mention that my friend is an officer in the Ontario Provincial Police, (OPP).
That being said, you can only imagine what his e-mail contained. Denial of following orders, (I understand that none of the officers who attended said funeral were ordered to be there). He didn't however mention anything about an individuals rights being taken from him.
I understand that Police make split second decisions everyday. I understand that sometimes those split decisions lead to their harm, or death.
He denied that anything is showing signs of a Police State. I suppose ignorance is bliss. My posting was not about him or his fellow front line officers specifically. It was about the people above him who give him orders, that he really has no choice but to obey. Again, am I wrong?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by prexparte
I am having a difficult time understanding with an open mind this thread...I will say how I see this. An officer is killed, his friends and family are grieving and laying to rest a loved one ( we may hate police but they have friends and family who love this policeman) so a lone protestor peacefully holds a sign...

One "officer" was killed. You don't even know if he was really a good person or not... And thousands of costumed, likely-armed, known thugs gather in a public place...

If that was thousands of "regular people" or "civilians" you can bet on your mother's grave that there will be police cars, armed "guards," at least one helicopter...
Are those things more or less agitating and disrespectful than a lone protester holding a sign?

Not to mention the swat/riot teams hiding in the background with shields, teargas, sound weapons, and even police photographers, ready to bust some heads "should things get out of hand..."

That's kind of a problem.
edit on 19-1-2011 by alaskan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I believe our government is operating more and more like a police state. Our rights are being taken away little by little until one day we are without many of we enjoy today

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

These days are truely terrifying, we must join together and stop this tyranic state from occuring. Find out more about the police state at www.infowars.com.... Take action, tell your neighbors even the ones you don't like, tell everyone, this needs to be heard. We need to act now before it is too late!

edit on 28-1-2011 by findoutthetruth because: Needed to add link

top topics

join