It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favourite space fact/s to pass on to others?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jpsdasnake

2-Our Sun is a medium-sized star.

Our Sun is well above average both in mass and brightness. Wiki:

Once regarded by astronomers as a small and relatively insignificant star, the Sun is now thought to be brighter than about 85% of the stars in the Milky Way galaxy, most of which are red dwarfs.

edit on 20/1/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

It says "brighter" not "bigger".

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpsdasnake
reply to post by Maslo

It says "brighter" not "bigger".

Luminosity of a star depends on its mass. Our Sun is bigger, more massive and brighter than average star in the Milky way.

cseligman.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I n my last post, I mentioned the stars in Orion's belt. Today's Astronomy Picture of the Day has a lovely image of these stars.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Taken From The Same Link:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jpsdasnake

That graph proves Maslo's point.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Its a shame everyone cannot see earth from outside, to see the little blue dot. If i ever get to live in country i would like to get a telescope or something to look upto the heavens. Just imagine all throughout our history everyone looked up to virtually the same thing, and must of wondered.

I believe the truths they teach about gravity is wrong, and i reckon moons gravity is close to earths gravity.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033Its a shame everyone cannot see earth from outside, to see the little blue dot.

Agreed!

If i ever get to live in country i would like to get a telescope or something to look upto the heavens. Just imagine all throughout our history everyone looked up to virtually the same thing, and must of wondered.

Neat. That's definitely a "fun space fact" to pass along.

I believe the truths they teach about gravity is wrong, and i reckon moons gravity is close to earths gravity.

Nope. You forget that the effect of the Moon's gravity can be observed directly, here on Earth. The observed tides at the seashore would be much higher if the Moon's gravity was more than what we know it to be; 1/6th of Earth's.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Yeah,it kinda does (:

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
This is a killer thread. The fact that it's for the OP's kids makes my mom-heart weep with happiness. Way to be an awesome parent, OP.

My favorite space-thing comes from my (late) Dad, and it's something I will (and everyone should) make sure my[their] kids know from the earliest age possible: how to find Polaris.

My Dad used to take us out on the beach at night every single beach vacation, and say "do you know how to find the North Star?" And we would let him show us, even though we already knew from last year. And my daughter will let me show her every year, too, if she knows what's good for her, LOL!

# Locate the Big Dipper in the northern sky. Knowing how to find the Big Dipper is easy due to its large size and distinct shape. Depending upon the time of the year constellation of stars may be tipped in different directions as it rotates around the polestar.
# As shown in the diagram, locate the two stars that form the outer edge of the Big Dipper.
# Draw an imaginary line straight through the two stars of the dipper edge and toward the Little Dipper. The line will point very close to the handle of the Little Dipper.
# The brightest star in the Little Dipper is at the end of its handle. This is the North Star.

Source

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
The hottest space-thing at the moment is surely sunorbit.net.... I bet we will hear a lot about it in the next time.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by cumola
The hottest space-thing at the moment is surely sunorbit.net.... I bet we will hear a lot about it in the next time.

"space-thing'? yeah,no. did you ever heard of spaceweather.com? its probably the most famous site on the subject.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join