It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested for taking pictures at MIA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Man arrested for taking pictures at MIA

www.wsvn.com

A man has been arrested after, officials said, he caused a security scare at a South Florida airport.

On Jan. 11, Miami-Dade Police officers stopped Oluwole Aboyade in the Dolphin parking garage at MIA after he reportedly began taking pictures of sensitive areas at the airport.

According to a Miami-Dade Police report, an officer said he became alarmed when he saw Aboyade taking pictures of buildings, surveillance cameras, airport runways and restricted areas. When the police approached the Nigerian national, he said he would remain silent. The police report read, "Mr. Aboyade was observ
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Now this one here has me a bit worried.

A Nigerian walking around taking pics of cameras and "sensitive" areas of the airport? In addition to other building around dade county.
Evasive to questions from the local police.
Wanted by ICE.
And then wanted on some federal warrant too.

Sounds to me like someone is scoping out targets. Makes me wonder too if there are other people in other cities doing the same.

www.wsvn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Just so we're all clear here. He wasn't arrested for taking pictures. He was questioned by police for taking pictures, which any other country would do around high security targets, especially if they were actually of the airport instead of just family pictures etc.

He was arrested for not cooperating with the police and refusing to answer questions. Big difference. Again, if someone is approached due to suspicious activity and refuses to answer police questions, they would be taken into custody in ANY country.

I don't know why Americans seem to think it's their right not to cooperate with police or identify themselves unless the police have "just cause" which they obviously did in this case. In most other countries in the world, it's just considered polite to say howdy to law enforcement officials, and to produce ID if asked during routine police business.

The bigger story here would seem to be why don't US police ask for ID from EVERYONE that they stop, just like police do in every other country in the world?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

This is old news, not breaking news. Breaking news is less than 24h or so. This is over a week old. Plus, it's not even news.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Papers please.

Come on, don't you see the danger in accepting authority with out questioning.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
I don't know why Americans seem to think it's their right not to cooperate with police or identify themselves unless the police have "just cause" which they obviously did in this case. In most other countries in the world, it's just considered polite to say howdy to law enforcement officials, and to produce ID if asked during routine police business.

OK, wait one second...isn't this guy Nigerian? In that case, he's not American, so why the comment about Americans not cooperating?
1) Generalizing Americans as people who believe it's their right to cooperate or identify themselves is a bit too vast and far-reaching for my ears.
2) In America we're watching our freedoms and privacy be stripped from us on a daily basis. It's very important to keep these things in mind.
3) It's quite a bit different when you live in the states and experience certain police forces. Not to condemn or condone this guy's actions, but I know from personal experience that there are a lot of police officers out there who aren't here to help.

My city, Grand Rapids, MI is fortunate. We have a great police force who has always helped me as much as they can and I haven't seen any negative actions taken on their part. Livonia, MI police, they are a different story.
Not that they're bad people, but certain departments as a whole, how they operate and often treat people is just bull.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Please read the article over again.

The man was Nigerian and was in the country on an expired work visa.

This had nothing to do with with refusing to show id.

Pretty sure this guy was scoping out targets for an attack of some sort.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by GirlGenius

I first saw this on the news yesterday here in miami.
Google News shows the articles on the story posted less than 17 hours ago.

Google news
edit on 19-1-2011 by grey580 because: bad link

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

You obviously have no idea of what you talk about when talking about Americans. I`ve been stopped walking to work and ID card was required. Got a ride to work because I was polite to the officer which I always am to everyone. So you need to do more study in American way I believe. We do get carded and there are plenty of polite people here. You paint a false picture.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by GirlGenius
reply to post by grey580

This is old news, not breaking news. Breaking news is less than 24h or so. This is over a week old. Plus, it's not even news.

It's news to me and countless others

edit on 19-1-2011 by gandalphthegrey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Connman

I very much agree. Plus, this article isn't even talking about an American. It's talking about a Nigerian man. So the comment is completely uncalled for as far as I'm concerned.

For the record, there are many different kinds of "American" in my eyes. Just as it is for any other country or group of people. Though I admit, we have many unknowing sheeple in our country, times are changing and when they do the sheeple will wake up. There is no doubt!

Also, I am quite surprised to hear those comments from a Canadian.. I very much respect Canada and it's people, despite what "Americans" often claim on tv and elsewhere regarding Canada.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by gandalphthegrey

I was just pointing out the rules for the breaking news forum. It's over a week old (and if you read the article, it's non-news, anyhow). It should be posted somewhere else, like general conspiracies or nwo.

The breaking news forum should be saved for important breaking news.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by GirlGenius

I was just pointing out the rules for the breaking news forum. It's over a week old (and if you read the article, it's non-news, anyhow). It should be posted somewhere else, like general conspiracies or nwo.

The breaking news forum should be saved for important breaking news.

I'm sure the MODS are aware of this and would have moved it if deemed not worthy..........Next
edit on 19-1-2011 by gandalphthegrey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I understand what you are seeing now. The event happened on the 11th.
However I believe that the story just came to light recently.
It was a headline story on the local news yesterday.
And only put online recently.

Either way it's still disturbing.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Yeah - the guy was not American and photographing a sensitive area. Security was doing its job.

Who cares? ... next...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Shouldnt people be able to take pictures of anything they want. Of course if he was dressed like a radical extremist I would be concerned

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lioevilo

Yes absolutely.
However you have to agree that someone taking pictures of security camera locations, sensitive airport areas and other places around miami-dade county is suspicious.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lioevilo

If you read the article, you can see that he was detained because he was in the country illegally, not because of the picture taking. We should all be concerned about the infringement of police state tactics, but for citizens - and guests with valid visas.

There is enough really going on without making much ado about nothing.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Miami-Dade Police turned Aboyade over into the custody of Immigrations and Customs Enforcement. ICE will now handle the case. "Once he was there at the facility, it was found that he had some sort of a federal warrant, or they wanted him. He was un-arrested from us and given over to them for their federal charges," said Williams.

What's interesting is that ICE wanted him. I wonder what sort of charges they had on him.
edit on 19-1-2011 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join