It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Sheep?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Okay, as most everyone already knows I really don't agree with the fundamentalist Christian version of the "End Times" but there are many threads about it so I'll share some observations I've had regarding it:

My main observation is regarding the idea that the devout will be lead astray by satan before the end. Personally I believe that the passage just goes to show how any reformation or schism could be seen as a sign of the end of the world, but it makes me think about some of the things being said by the conservative Christians lately.

A non-denominational very conservative chruch in my area reciently had a large "God Hates Homosexuality" (with a strong slur in place of homosexuality) banner above the entrance to their church until the police made them take it down. As a philosophy of religions major I find it funny that someone would think that an omni-benevolent god could be capable of hate, but that's what made me wonder. Do these people really think that god hates homsexuals? Sounds a little strayed to me.

Another thing that didn't quite sound Christian to me, and was regarding the issue of homosexuality, was when Mark Creech, a columnist at Agape Press www.agapepress.org... said that homosexuals were raping America. It was very hate filled and sounded inspired more by anger and hate than by God.

The issue does not just include angry rants and slurs against homosexuals, I believe that some ministries are just in the business for the money, and probably the same for some Christian Rock bands and such.

I think some have gotten so zealous in their defense of their religion and trying to convert people that they have lost sight of the actual teachings. I personally don't think this means the end is comming, like I said that passage could be applied to any change in the faith, not the end of the world.

So what does everyone else think, is this a sign of the "End Times" or just some people that are misguided?

Blessed Be
~Astral

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't know if it's a sign of "The End Times" (a concept I don't believe in at all) so much as a sign of some seriously misguided thinking.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
God does hate the sin, but not the sinner. He allowed his only son to die for the sinners. I think the word hate is confusing when put into a human context.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The fact that there are thousands of denominations of one basic faith (the teachings of Jesus as the Son of God) is enough proof to me that they are all working towards an anti-spiritual and selfish agenda. While they all claim to be the right interpretation of God's Word, the simple fact remains, they cannot all be right, but they can all be wrong. Anyone not indoctrinated into their faith by birth and consequently raised into it due to their parent's belief will understand how hard it can be to find a good Church. How many do you have to visit and investigate before you find one that matches your beliefs the best? I'll leave you with my favorite quote on religion, spoken by the Dalai Lama.

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."

cheers,

StickyG

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Is it not obvious to everyone that each is their own in their own mind? Without getting into the infinite components and aspects of the common human condition as well as the fact that each one has their own life, experiences and dreams, so, we are ENTITLED to our own view or vision but faith is faith. In yor heart you know why you agree or disagree with those things you do, so, I say: If it feels right it is and if it doesn't it isn't; by and large. (We can turn the cheek as far as refusal of energy to those who have strayed too far such as morally reprehensible criminals)

It has come time that people should stop speaking for God in their current format because since everyone seems to wear masks and not speak the ruth to their friends, family or anyone really, then they may find they have listened to their flesh and not truly used the ears that God gave them.
Therefore, those with the faith in the God in them through the Christ, are it seems now ready for the next stage in the 'game.' To walk as like unto the Christ and quit denying the fact that it IS possible to cast off sins, or evil habits. But even that is not what it is about. If one begins to truly communicate on a very intense spiritual level, (listen and attempt to grow by it) with their creator God, then one will find their eyes opened as once closed and it will appear obvious to avoid those taints that the flesh marked them with. Not to downplay the role of true faith I will offer the metaphor: If you never played or saw a game of baseball or never had it described in any but vague pretenses and made as such a vague opinion on what you thought it was, then actually played and witnessed the game later on, would you not completely revolutionize and reorganize your view of it and how it made you feel?

We must all learn to agree to disagree sometimes but not let it stop there. We must learn civilized debating so as to lessen our emotional attachment as based on opinions regarding issues in the world and humana and collectivate goals that benefit all people. It takes one to know one I heard once, so how can any be an accuser of any other if none are as pure and true to their desinies as they should be? Peace!

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Totally agree with the previous comment despite being a born again atheist.

Too many people hide behind the 'God told me' and for me is the biggest arguement against religion - not taking responsibility of your own actions. Indoctrination into religions starts at a very early age yet (about same time as believing in Santa Claus) and people take all the inconsistencies as truith e.g. How can an almighty ever powerful being only have one son Jesus - even the famous (but creepy looking ) gynacologist Robert Winston can produce more than one - yet people quote this without seeing the absurdity.

It is not 'do as YOU would be done by' but 'do as THEY wish to be done by'. I agree that walk in christ actually means now you are responsible for your life - and for your actions.

More peace.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
These are signs of over population causing lost wolf packs - not sheep and not end times. The more people there are in the world the more ideas, agreements and disagreements we have. And as people are by nature pack animals we need to find commonality to tie us together and a common cause and someone to lead that cause. And with so many minds spinning away and all the good ideas already tried - we've come up with some really bad ideas that seem like good ideas to those with feeble minds that can't come up with their own ideas. So, a pack leader drums up some bad yet controversial cause that will make him seem wise and powerful and the pack will follow him as they whip themselves into a feeding frenzy. This will last untill they've fatted themselves and move on to a new stupid cause or until another more powerful leader comes and kicks butt and takes over the pack.

It really is pathetic. I choose to be a rogue - I embrace homosexuals. Am I bringing about the end of the world or can I become a pack leader and start a new beginning?

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
If the homo sapiens species and its "cultures" and religions ceased to exist, life would go on. And if every member of the species became homosexual, the species would cease to exist, but for the advent of bizarre in vitro techniques. Many members of the species do not think of the species. And many more members of the species think the species is in some way special. Ergo, we are in the end times of the species, which is no great cataclysm.

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Ergo, we are in the end times of the species, which is no great cataclysm.

Well put, lots of people do forget that the plight of Humanity, indeed of the entire earth is so infinitely small upon the universe at large that we truly just do not matter.

I agree of course that this is not a sign of the end times, I also agree that it is high time for people to stop hiding behind religion. Badkitty, truly interesting take upon the issue, I whole heartedly agree. I too fight for the rights of homosexuals, as well as bisexuals, transexuals and the rest of the rainbow, it's in my mind the ethical thing to do.

popeye, well I think your interpretation of the whole issue of God an hate is a bit simplistic, I believe it's a much more complicated concept than that. It's another of those great problems with Christianity resulting from their god being Tri-Omni. Read some Modern Age religious philosophy and you'll see what I mean.

Lucifer, I totally agree that what the world needs is civilized debate! It's one of the reasons I like this site so much.

Blessed Be
~Astral

new topics

top topics

join