It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 'who visited your profile' list ...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Is this the right forum?

Any chance the ATS computer gods can come up with a new feature? I was thinking it would be nice if we had something like what I've seen elsewhere ... a feature that shows who has visited our profile/posting list etc. Facebook has something like that. You can see who the top 10 people are that check you and your posts out.

If someone goes to your profile, their screen name is registered. If someone clicks on the part that says 'posts', to see where you are posting, their screen name is registered. Then the owner of the profile can look and see who is checking them out (or stalking).

I've seen it elsewhere and thought it would be good to have here.
Thanks for the consideration.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I'm not sure I can articulate why, but I think I'd rather not have this. I always found it a bit creepy somehow on sites that do have this kind of feature and sort of sense that it might even backfire at times and breed stalkers or at least focus on things I'd really rather not focus on when I'm here at ATS. My friends list is enough for me for that kind of thing.

And if this kind of feature is implemented, I would hope it would allow us to turn it off on either or both ends. More specifically, I would want to be able to turn off the list of who's checking my profile out and just not have to deal with it and also be able to turn off tracking if I look at someone's profile. I'd rather stay away from having people speculate about the reasons why I did or did not look at their profile, reasons which would 99 times out of 100 probably be way off base anyway.
edit on 1/19/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
it might even backfire at times and breed stalkers

One of my thoughts (not the only one on this subject) is that it would curtail stalkers. If people know that their 'visits' are recorded and can be viewed, then they are less likely to follow someone around the board for nefarious reasons. The other thought .. I'm just curious and want to know who is checking me out.

edit on 1/19/2011 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Understood. I meant breed stalkers in that if I check someone out, I might call unwanted attention to myself and/or have them leaping to conclusions about why and then start stalking as a result. Works both ways. Plus, I guess I'm just someone who would go to a social networking or dating site if I was curious about who was checking me out

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I like it, but can conspiracy theorists handle it?

I can just see the Board Business thread title now... "OMG! Why is (insert name here) viewing my profile!!!???"

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
No, i would not like this feature....seems a tad strange, the fact that you say facebook has it makes me dislike the idea even more.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
I'm not sure I can articulate why, but I think I'd rather not have this.

This is exactly my feelings too. I don't care to know who views my profile and I don't want others to know I am viewing theirs. No offense OP, but this seems more like an ego trip kind of thing....wanting to know if the cool kids are checking out the old profile.
edit on 19-1-2011 by Aggie Man because: spelling

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I agree with you!

This is about the only site I visit that does't give me the feeling that "Big Brother" is watching over my shoulder. I surely do not want that to change. I value my privacy....and other people's.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Would'nt worry me either way because I never look at anyone's profile anyhow!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I wouldnt like that feature because i go to random peoples profiles all the time and look for threads that i havent seen or to see what they are interested in. That would make me look like a stalker and that would suck.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I remember feesch (an Icq group for british people) used to have this feature and it was never very useful.

ME: Hey! I see you viewed my profile

Random person: Oh, maybe

ME: Hi

Random person: Hi

ME: Ermmmm

Crickets

ME: Bye then!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
[No offense OP, but this seems more like an ego trip kind of thing....wanting to know if the cool kids are checking out the old profile

You don't know me well at all

No ego trip here.
And I don't consider ANYONE to be a 'cool kid'.
Being an anti-social paranoid conspiracist ... in my view no one is a 'cool kid'.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
I like it, but can conspiracy theorists handle it?
I can just see the Board Business thread title now... "OMG! Why is (insert name here) viewing my profile!!!???"

Well .. there is THAT, isn't there?

Seriously .. I just wanna know who is stalking me (if anyone) and/or following me around the boards.
Being a paranoid conspiracist and all ...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I think someone thats been registered since 04 might well be considered one of the coolest kids of all.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Aggie Man
[No offense OP, but this seems more like an ego trip kind of thing....wanting to know if the cool kids are checking out the old profile

You don't know me well at all

No ego trip here.
And I don't consider ANYONE to be a 'cool kid'.
Being an anti-social paranoid conspiracist ... in my view no one is a 'cool kid'.

I wasn't implying that is the case with you. I was generally speaking. I'm sure you have your own reasons for wanting to keep tabs of who is viewing your profile. And you are right....I don't know you at all.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I have seen this feature on another board and I hate it.

I don't really care who is viewing my profile and if someone is, it doesn't mean that they're stalking me. Maybe they're just curious. And I am curious, too. I view a lot of profiles, mostly to look up other threads people are talking about or to get an idea of a person's position on certain issues.

If we had a feature like this, I would limit my visits around the board, because I don't like the idea of my movements being recorded for all to see.

If someone is stalking you, I think you should report it as such.

(I did not view your profile to find this thread.
)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Facebook has something like that. You can see who the top 10 people are that check you and your posts out.

Just a heads up...I don't think Facebook has anything like that.

www.facebook.com...

No, Facebook does not provide the ability to track who is viewing your profile, or parts of your profile, such as your photos. Applications by outside developers cannot provide this functionality, either. Applications that claim to give you this ability will be removed from Facebook for violating policy. You can report applications that provide untrustworthy experiences by clicking the "Report Application" at the bottom of the application’s About page, or by clicking "Report" at the bottom of any canvas page within the application.

The applications that claim to do this are fake and don't work...they usually just grab 10 of your friends at random and put them as your "top 10".

And I see Facebooks reasoning behind this...they don't want people to hesitate to view someones profile...and if you think you might show up on some list of viewers of that profile...you may not view that persons profile.

I am wondering what you think the benefit of a feature like this would be?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
it is ego feeding... we have things like facebook for that...
there is no need for such a mechanism on ats...

kx

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I look at profiles often. It is an easy way to keep track of a thread that I have been reading if I remember an author or if I see a post and don't recognize the member for various reasons such as an avatar change, have not posted in a while, etc. Sometimes it is because I see them in chat and the name doesn't strike but the avatar reminds me of who they are. Or they make an impression on a topic and I like to see what else they have to say about things.

Sometimes I look to see when was the last time a person logged in if I had not seen them in a while. But what a person could become paranoid about is "Why is a mod checking out my profile? Did I do something wrong?"

The issue of stalking can come up as well when it is an obvious guy/girl interaction.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

A 'who visited your profile' list...

Speaking just for myself, I tend to visit the profile page of everyone I engage at any length. I don't do it to look for any specific item... and there's nothing on our profiles that offers any real advantage in a throw-down.

But... being of a generation that wasn't so comfortably snugged-in behind the safety of a monitor screen or cell phone text, I think I may be trying to find something that makes people a little less coldly digital and a little more warmly corporeal.

I mean, I really hate talking to automated answering systems... or getting phone calls with recordings asking me to hold for the next sales rep.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join