page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

Originally posted by BuzzCory
reply to post by molenews

Old people are so cranky. Relax grandpa, have some lemonade and take a load off. Quit writing people letters.

Have a nice time at work tomorrow. I'll wave bye-bye as you go, & will be sure to think of you when I'm out enjoying the sunshine & unseasonably warm weather with which we've been blessed currently. It's so nice out, I may just get my nerve up, & leave my walker at home.

You actually think he has a job? He's probably living at home and sponging off his parents.

Youre right, I dont have a paying job. Im a college student, and yet I do not live with my parents (I'm 30).

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
What I want to know is this: Who voted for these career politicians for the last 40 years? Because it sure as hell wasn't those just entering the workforce, who will get stuck with the bill for all of this, and get nothing back for their efforts.

Now -- I have nothing against old people, but lets be honest: my parents never had to compete with the whole world for jobs, and frankly -- the dollar was worth more during the majority of their productive lives then it has been under the X'ers and Y'ers that followed them.

Nope -- we are all F'd here, but a 24 year old has never voted to spend money that will be earned by his grandchildren, and frankly -- that's exactly what happened with the rats the boomers elected over the last 40 years, whether they intended it or not.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

gee don't know...I voted for mickey mouse and the like for past few years!! when your choice is between the lesser of two evils......I am sorry, that is the only choice you have.

but, well, you are overlooking one little tidbit here...
the american people, the economy, has just had on of the biggest scams ever done in history probably occur!! and all the money they have used to clean up after themselves has been borrowed, and given to the criminals in hopes that they could put humpty dumpty back together!
they've peddled bogus securities around the world, caused countries to go bankrupt!!!
and well, after all that, do you really think that the world is gonna trust the good ole america with handling the responsibility of issuing the world's currency any longer? do you really think that they are gonna be willling to lend us money, fairly trade with us???
no, they are not!!!
the mess before this great scam, maybe we could have dug ourselves out of....but bush, and then obama, just didn't deal justly with the american people, or the world.....
us boomers had nothing to do with that as a generation, and this isn't a war between the generations, as the criminals would want some to believe!! you want to know who's to blame, well, look towards wall street, look towards the white house, look towards the fed!!! look at the banks!!!
and gee, ya know what, the pictures of the few robo signers that we know about, well...they didn't look like boomers to me!!!

like I said, those that are working are gonna end up paying for the elderly now, since any wealth that they may have saved up has just been swiped out of their ira's their pension funds, their social security......
the alternative is just too ugly for today's younger generations to absorb into their mindset! the question is...are you younger people gonna join forces with the older generations and demand that they go after these criminials and recoup those losses.....which, if they did that, well....maybe there would be more who would be more able to hold their own without your help?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Good luck in your future voting. I sincerely hope you'll be able to find the one candidate in each election who will serve your interests selflessly while in office, while declining to line his/her pockets at the same time. And don't forget to duck all the flying pigs on your way to your polling place.
edit on 1/26/11 by BuzzCory because: Removed semi-snide question answered by another poster

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
and....the jobs were already being shipped overseas when I entered the workforce in the late 70's...so, well, sorry, your generation isn't unique on that one.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

and....the jobs were already being shipped overseas when I entered the workforce in the late 70's...so, well, sorry, your generation isn't unique on that one.

Ah, thus "competing with the whole world". Thanks for helping this old person out

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BuzzCory

I was venting, because I have my own family to take care of, in addition to my parents, should the system collapse. I get to vent too, because I am still young enough to carry the weight.

With as much respect as I can muster:

There is no such thing as a lesser evil. Every time you voted for what you thought was a lesser evil, and it was an incumbent you favored, regardless of party affiliation, you voted to perpetuate the system that dug the hole that helped bury us. That's harsh, but at least it's real. There are no good men, who seeks only to represent your interests. They are all just foot-soldiers for the only interests that actually matter: the multinational corporations who feed and control both parties.

If the dollar finally collapses under the weight of a corrupt monetary system which purposefully causes inflation to create more debt so that the balance sheets of these corporations might continue to rise, it will be on those of us who have the ability to still work, to support our parents and our own kids. And we will do it from a drastically handicapped position, in comparison to what our parents dealt with. Those are facts.

I have been laid off 3 times since 2002, and my jobs all went to India. I am sure the Indians are great people, but I cannot compete on a dollar for dollar basis with people who pay $68 a month for their mortgage. My mortgage is much higher because an entire generation saw a home as an investment, when in fact -- it is a liability, and homes are never worth more then 3 or 4 times what the average worker makes in a year in that county, no matter what the mortgage guy or real estate agent sold you.

So yeah -- I'm venting. Stop voting for the "lesser evil" and lecturing me about your choices. I have fewer choices now because incumbancy is still at 90%+.

That's all I'm saying.
edit on 26-1-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)
edit on 26-1-2011 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

There is no such thing as a lesser evil. Every time you voted for what you thought was a lesser evil, and it was an incumbent you favored, regardless of party affiliation, you voted to perpetuate the system that dug the hole that helped bury us. That's harsh, but at least it's real. There are no good men, who seeks only to represent your interests. They are all just foot-soldiers for the only interests that actually matter: the multinational corporations who feed and control both parties.

You don't know how I voted, or even if I did. You don't know the agony felt by so many who saw happening what you're now seeing as accomplished fact. You think taking a stand on a message board makes you unpopular, and a target? Try taking a stand against an insane war that most of your own country supports with a will to beat on & punish those who don't, or against still existing racial inequality. If you're lucky, some of your generation won't die at night in the woods, being told by your own armed countrymen to "run for it' so they can gun you down, or on a college campus, again, in your own damned country, simply for taking a stand dictated by your beliefs.

Yeah, demonstrators are getting clubbed and beaten today, but mainly because those who some of you smugly call "sheeple" are largely unaware of what goes on in their own country, and not much outcry is raised. During my era, the thugs, goons, and murderers were commended and cheered on by my fellow citizens, leaving a rift that, for some of us, never healed.

You think recession is something new? Over the decades, I went through several layoffs that lasted more than a year each, and in tougher times before that, stole food to stay alive. That kind of uncertain existence & fear for the future hasn't changed much, I should imagine, & my heart goes out to everyone who's contending with that now. Remembering how angry I was at people just because they'd obviously just finished dinner, I suppose I can see where the anger is coming from today; the only difference? I didn't have an internet message board on which to vent.

And lest I should forget, we actually had a good President, and for a while it looked like there was reason to hope for things to change for the better... until he got shot dead, along with others who also may have been able to make a positive difference in the way things were going. With a hideous example like that to illustrate what happens to those who try to throw a spanner into the machinery run by others, how many of the better officeholders to come along since those days do you think will be willing to cross the line drawn in the sand?

If you think you can do a better job of voting, with even fewer decent choices than I had, then go right ahead, with my sincere best wishes that you can manage to do a better job. However, you're not gonna be working to clean up a mess made in my era; you're a wage slave just like we were, the only difference being that you're further along in the end game of TPTB.

I'm just venting, too; I'm tired of younger people telling me how it was when I was growing up, what my circumstances were, & how I voted. I was there, I remember it better than you do.
edit on 1/26/11 by BuzzCory because: Removed a whole bunch of empty space that got left in my orignal posting box

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I don't think I can do a better job of voting. I gave up that fool notion over the last 10 years or so, when it became pretty obvious that every candidate was pre-selected to carry out an agenda which places corporate profits above people, states, and religions.

That said. You make some good points. I am sorry if it seemed that I was attacking you personally. I just hate the "lesser evil" argument. It is commonly known by nearly everyone here at the bottom that all politicians lie continuously. Voting for what they say they are going to do is kissing the hand that slits your throat.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
this guy is just mad because he's at the age where he should be getting the benefits, but won't now...

As part of the younger generation, I already know, and have come to accept the fact that I will probably never see any sort of benefit that the oldest generations have already reaped the benefits of...He may be mad and I understand fully as I am mad about it too...the way i see it though, is that this system was never designed to last for the long term and was basically made just to make it to a certain point and then fail because it was built horribly and possibly even built just to fail (who knows)...sadly the younger generations are the ones who have to take the responsibility for the older generations who threw their responsibilities right out the freakin' window

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

how many letters have you written to your gov't representatives???
I kind of have some sort of obsessive, compulsive disorder....
I give that disorder free reign now that the internet is around, and I have access to forums like this, but before that, well....I've written plenty of letters to my elected officials....and, well, you can't tell it from ramblings, but I can write a good letter, expecially if I am tossing and turning in bed, writing and rewriting, studying my surroundings, completely obsesse with an idea!!
while you complain about how irresponsible I am, ummm....how many kids did you know growing up had families that were getting some sort of support from the gov't...how about your friends now, how many of them are being helped by the gov't?
oh, yes, you gonna have to support someone that isn't in your immediate family....what's new, the only difference between then and now, is that now, there are less people supporting more people!!! and, ummm, us older people, we already have raised our kids, and most of the people getting help from the gov't, have children!!!
if you look around on these boards, you will find some of the daddy's griping how they shouldn't have to pay child support, how they've been tricked, and on and on....
heck, even my mom, who passes away about ten years ago, oh, by the way, she collected her social security for a grand total of a year before she passed!!! my dad didn't make it to retirement....but even she would tell me, way back when I was a kid that the gov't was corrupt! wonder where my mom's and my dad's social security went to, they put far more in than they ever got out of it.....ummmm......then they tell me that the money that my husband and me put in, well....that's gone.....ummmmm...........
it's not gone!!! it's been converted into treasury bonds that are payable on demand, as good as any other treasury bond that they peddle, and if you default on those, you might as well default on the whole shabang!!! because the effect will be the same!! ain't no one gonna trust our bonds again, not here, not in other countries...what the heck though, they don't trust us now, do they??

edit on 26-1-2011 by dawnstar because: corrected spelling error...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

From what I know, you are giving a very good history lesson, with astute insights towards the political environment past and present. Anybody interested in this topic could learn from you, if they would put aside their own misconceptions and prejudices.

Another thing I like about ATS.........teach/learn/teach/learn. (For those with discerning minds, who can separate what is worth learning,and what is worth teaching.)

Admiration for you, Sir.

edit on 1/26/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I am sorry if it seemed that I was attacking you personally. I just hate the "lesser evil" argument. It is commonly known by nearly everyone here at the bottom that all politicians lie continuously. Voting for what they say they are going to do is kissing the hand that slits your throat.

Nah, I didn't see it as a personal attack. My original crack about ducking the flying pigs was a shorthand reference to an old sarcastic saying, meaning that you would find that outstanding candidate to vote for "when pigs fly".
I suppose the rest of my response came from the fact that times I went through, where people got killed for standing up for their beliefs, are no more than historical footnotes to many of those coming up now. Hell, the same neighbors who cheered me when I joined the military, practically shot at me after I finished my hitch, let my hair grow, & protested the Vietnam War.

That was the beginning of the end of simpler times, meaning that the hidden dirt was only just starting to become apparent to large segments of the population. Many of us did, at first, believe in "working within the system", fighting with our votes, only to end up realizing we were sold a bill of goods. At least some of us did.
Anyway, IMO, the nicest thing I could wish for you younger people, aside from hoping you can hold it together for your family & parents, is that some day decades from now, your memories of battles fought will consist of nothing more severe than ideological wrangling.

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join