Do NOT Mess with the Old Folks!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Im suprised you found a teacher willing to talk truth about the subject.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

Is there any way to opt out of SS seriously I'm curious I've heard of a few people fighting federal income taxes and winning and a few losing. So couldn't you just say I am not paying SS it's a broken system and we all know we're not getting it so why put anything into it could someone look into this and see if there's any logistics any law that could protect you if you said F you stop taking SS out of my check!!

??? just a thought

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
No matter what is proposed to get our country back on the right path, it is not going to happen to the satisfaction of all. We can keep on trying all peaceful means to turn this mess around........good luck. If were foolish enough to cross that line between words to action, we will certainly have a blood-bath. And once that line is crossed, we had best be committed to see it through to the finish. I guarantee, the Fed Gov law enforcement has considerable expertise in firearms............and very few qualms about using them against the citizenery when that time arrives. MM

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Walking Fox
"My leaders," huh? Yep, as the boomers start dropping off (retirement isn't really an option for most of you guys, sad to say. You strangled that baby in the crib) there's going to be a crunch in the workforce. if it hadn't been for all the "free trade agreements," this would actually mean that younger workers would be able to demand higher wages. A tax crunch will also happen, but primarily because of the fact that taxation was cut by nearly 80% under Reagan, and has barely moved at all since; what the boomers pay is like giving a few drops of blood a day to a person suffering severe anemia.

I understand the situation at hand, and I'd wager I understand it better than you.

Yes, your political leaders. You will need to deal with them. Best of luck, perhaps you can do better with them.

You claim won't be able to demand higher wages, you say this despite knowing a very large part of the workforce will now be leaving that workforce. You claim "free trade agreements" are to blame for this. Is this due to labor oursourcing, or what? You have perhaps identified a problem you will be dealing with, but how are you going to handle it? Current Right-wing commentary suggests a free-hand be given to business concerns to conduct their own labor affairs as they see beneficial. What would you suggest?

To claim taxation was cut by 80% under Reagan seems preposterous. That percentage might be applied to loss of tax write-offs perhaps. Before his tax policies the interest we paid was deductible, which seemed correct, that interest was being taxed as income for those that were paid the interest. Perhaps it is those banking institutions that were given the 80% reduction you speak of, no? My own income taxes saw no 80% reduction, to the contrary.

Reagan did cut some social programs by 80%, or altogether in some cases. I don't believe military spending realized such broad cuts though. Perhaps his "trickle-down" economics policies aren't trickling down to you? Although my generation had a few Reagan-ites among them, he was very popular, the boomers were largely Democrats. You generation's ideologies worships the Reagan Revolution, and if anything, he was not conservative enough for them today. Are those the policies where the younger workers of your time going to find their answers? If you have any constructive solutions this would be the time to start putting them into play. Afterall, you feel you understand the situation better than I.

My own personal solutions were to live responsibly, work hard, and pay my bills. I kept my eye on the economic situation all my working life, full-time since age 17. I saw the signs and was prepared to act quickly. I left the working world about 10 years sooner than I had planned, despite my pension being severely reduced. Things were getting tough all over. When my employers announced they would authorize early retirement at the minimum age allowable along with a separation bonus I was the only one who was without debt and could accept the offer. I also thought the value of my home was inflating like a balloon and no one was slowing down the flatus, it just seemed the time was right to accept the money and boogaloo. I didn't rob anyone and I didn't twist any arms.

I have to say the outlook throughout my worklife did not seem all that rosy and that there was a struggle to keep at it and live responsibly. What more could I do? At times my prospect for a secure retirement seemed very bleak. Then the day came when I was ready. This year will make five years retired without struggle or regrets. It is still more than four years until I could begin drawing Social Security but I expect most of it will still be there for me. It is money I paid to myself when I was younger but when I elect to begin receiving it it will be icing on the cake.

Obviously it is being propogated to you that us oldsters are the only thing standing in the way of your victory cake and that the sooner we are gone the sooner you can eat your cake. When we are no longer manning your workforce and paying your taxes, what good are we to you alive? None, old and in the way, and the ones who left you this world. Deal with it.

edit on 20-1-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonSpirit2
reply to post by itsawild1

Is there any way to opt out of SS seriously I'm curious I've heard of a few people fighting federal income taxes and winning and a few losing. So couldn't you just say I am not paying SS it's a broken system and we all know we're not getting it so why put anything into it could someone look into this and see if there's any logistics any law that could protect you if you said F you stop taking SS out of my check!!

??? just a thought

There are some careers that do not pay into Social Security, some jobs with the states or for municipal agencies that have their own retirement outside of the SS system. If you are self-employed you do not pay, unless you make yourself an employee. You could leave the country. Why not? There are places with much nicer weather than in most of the US.

Yes, there are ways. But if you are just a regular wage-earner then you pay it.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by barkingdogamato

Nice read OP. Always nice to see people standing up for their, and each others rights.
Keep it going.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I'm 56 as of last May. I don't expect the criminals to pay one dime of SS back to me, or to lots of other people our age. You know what though, when they come before the LORD God, the Almighty, and they have to account for their actions they will receive exactly what they deserve. Vengence is mine says the LORD!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by LanMan54

I wouldn't expect the pension plans to paying out much either, or well, if you were counting on the value of your real estate to help out in the near future, or your stocks and bonds....
the reason why the social security was put into place so long ago was that the last time wall street screwed up this badly, well, most of the people found themselves with no savings whatsoever....
the younger generations had to pick up the tab for them to have survived!
seems rather dumb now, that just about the same thing has happened, we now would want to disband a system that was put into place for just this kind of situation....
society is gonna be paying for the boomers, one way or another....the only other option is that these boomers, your parents or grandparents will be left starving, homeless, and well....dying in your streets, causing a mess, that you will have to live with, and explain to your children.
most of us haven't seen a significant raise in our wages in years, and many of us have had our earning potential decrease over those years. meanwhile, the pay of of select few has risen astronomically... wonder why that would be...
could it be that when they slapped a cap on the social security tax to begin with, they unwittingly encouraged the business sector (who like all of us, just don't like paying taxes), to just pay more to those who earned over that cap, so that the money wouldn't incur that tax?
if this is the case, lifting that cap would serve two purposes, it would increase the willingness of the businesses to pay more to more of it's workers, and it would increase the money flowing into the social security system.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
reply to post by ClintK

fact one, the treasuries in social security is payable on demand!!
fact two....they draw interest....and that interest is more than enough to cover what is being paid out, and more, the trust fund's balance sheet will continue growing in value.
it's the gov't that is broke, bankrupt, and well....unlike all the griping about us peons needing to pay our bills, they don't think there is an obligation to pay their bills....
have they slowed down the spending yet? how many stupid unnecessary projects do ya think I could dig up in a day if I reallly tried?? gee, you'd think that before they started thinking about obliterating the social security, they would forget about such things as trout bridges, and well...bridges to nowhere for the people!!
maybe they are hoping us old folks will take a walk down those bridges?
I am also wondering, how many people on ats that are crying now to do away with the social security were also the ones screaming about their precious tax cuts?
NO!!!! DON'T TAKE FROM US!! TAKE FROM THE ELDERLY HELPLESS INSTEAD!!!
But, we are selfish, and lazy!!!

I agree with most of what you said, but let me clarify two points:

Fact one. Sure they're payable on demand, but there is only one body authorized to make that demand: Congress. And they'll "DEMAND" paying as little as possible to avoid tax increases.

Fact two. Well, for all practical purposes, money borrowed from Social Security does not pay interest. If it did, the bonds would be marketable, and that would be the solution to the problem. But they aren't, and, like cash borrowed from social security, congress decides what interest, if any, will be paid and when. And it continuously "decides" to pay none of the interest, because that would be interest of trillions of dollars.

I was screaming about this issue in the late 1980s because I could see where it was going. But people seem to have to wait until the sky is falling, and the media ignored it.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ClintK

more than likely, the interest it automatically borrowed back by the gov't.
I ain't denying what you are saying is true...but isn't a problem with social security...there has been no demand of the money, the taxes have been funding the programs for the most part...legally, the gov't has the obligation to make good on the debt, pay when it it demands, which should be done when it is need to cover the retirees. till them well, they just sit there and draw the interest, at least on thier books.
what we are discussing, just refusing to make good on the debt when it's demanded, well, that would be a major default, at the same time as some are talking about the fed bailing out the state gov'ts as being the only solution, because there is no legal way for those states to deny their pensioners without both state, and fed constitutional changes.....

this would be definate political suicide, to deflate our dollar with another massive bailout, which much of it is to protect the pensioners rights to the benefits, because of legal technicalities, but then just ignore those laws when it came to the social security for all those non-government employees out there. especially after the grand bailout to banks after their fraud caused the current economic problems and everyone's house devaluing in value so drastically (which, well, alot of those pension funds are in trouble now, because they were conned into buying these securities!) , iras have dropped in value, ect.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

society is gonna be paying for the boomers, one way or another....

That the boomers largely paid for society during their time, that would seem fair. During a time when the boomers were manning the workforce and paying taxes and SS they contributed enough to the system that it should have ensured their future. That the politicians and corporatists saw those enhanced revenues as party-time should not be blamed on that generation.

While the boomers were in-place and working there should have been felt a period of growth, expansion, and prosperity in the US. That government and corporate leaders misinterpreted that growth as merely a time to feather their own nests is a travesty - we see how the CEO's began to take huge salaries and bonuses for themselves, way out of proportion to their worker's pay. There is no mistaking that there was an economic expansion, it was squandered instead and did not "trickle down."

What results from the boomers reaching their maturity and leaving the workforce should have been all too predictable. As an early boomer that left the workplace in 2006 - after being in-place in the workforce full-time since the 60's - from a fairly safe distance I watched things begin to "crash and burn" in 2008.

As evidenced by the tone in many young persons speech there is nothing left but to scorn the boomers for leaving destruction in their wake and passing along only obligations to look after them and an empty future. The plan seems now to be to keep youthful America busy kicking aside their progenitors and looking for their speedy demise while the true culprits escape scot-free and have a new generation conditioned to expect less return for their efforts. For our leadership it is a win-win.

edit on 21-1-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Ha!
That WAS refreshing!
It may be a simple rant, but it feels so good, doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by barkingdogamato

Wow! Just wow! I'm also 63 and have been working since I was 15. I shouldered a weapon for my country for 4 years, never cheated on my taxes and trusted my government. He poses all of my questions but my ending statement would be "Okay, I've let you use my money for nearly 50 years you piece of corral dust, time to return it with interest".

Peace (not)..............yak055h

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Old people are so cranky. Relax grandpa, have some lemonade and take a load off. Quit writing people letters.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by molenews

Old people are so cranky. Relax grandpa, have some lemonade and take a load off. Quit writing people letters.

Have a nice time at work tomorrow. I'll wave bye-bye as you go, & will be sure to think of you when I'm out enjoying the sunshine & unseasonably warm weather with which we've been blessed currently. It's so nice out, I may just get my nerve up, & leave my walker at home.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
my friend sent me this email the other day.....
it does portray just how much more "spoiled" the boomers were when compared to the younger generations....
hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

If you are 36, or older, you might think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways...yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia! And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

1) I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

2) There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

3) Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

4) There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

5) Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

6) We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

7) There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOSH !!! Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

8) And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

9) We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen.. Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

11) There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

12) And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

13) And our parents told us to stay outside and play.... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores! And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place! See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970 or any time before!

Regards, The Over 40 Crowd (Send this to someone you'd like to make smile)

For me, that one black and white tv was deliberately broken by my father one day when he came home and found us watching a tv show were weren't supposed to be watching. He was a world war two vet, and well, he just couldn't, wouldn't tolerate use watching shows about war on tv. He snapped, and the tv died...and and went with out tv for a very long time. I think many of us grew up with fathers that were suffering from undiagnosed cases of post traumatic stress syndrome or whatever it's called...and stupid little things like war movies drove them nuts! The broken tv didn't really affect me that much, ya see my older brother and sister just didn't want to watch it anymore since the only thing it would pick up after dad was done with it was the pbs station, and I was probably one of the first kids who got to have their own tv in their bedroom! which, well, the pbs station would play quite a few taped college lectures that I did enjoy watching! So, well, every rose might have a thorn but that also means most thorns are attached to roses!

and well, me being the youngest, I ended up wearing my sister's hand me downs mostly...there weren't no designer jeans and hundred dollar shoes for me!

and, well, some of the boomers that were a little older than me, well, they had to endure one of the worst outbreaks of polio the country has seen. I had a friend that was a survivor of that outbreak, it left her crippled. our parents, who also endured that horror, saw fit to give a little extra out of their paychecks, in hopes that a way could be found to prevent such a thing from happening again, and well, how many cases of polio have you heard about in the US lately.
Our parents had grown up in the depression, they went off to fight in the last real war that was fought by this country, many of them saw first hand what kind of horror mankind can inflict on each other....and they walk away with an entirely new outlook on life! And they worked hard to create a world where their children and grandchildren could possibly live in a fairer, just world. They build the highways that we all enjoy today, the provided better housing than the run down homes we were raised in. My first classroom was in a small little building that was nicknamed the chicken coop (who knows, maybe it was a chicken coop at one time). After kindergarten, well.... I went to the bigger school... At lunchtime, while I would be trying to eat my lunch, I would feel dust, and paint chips, whatever it was, fall into my head.... a while later in that school year, well, we started having our lunches served to us in our classrooms, the cafeteria was not safe. I remember one year, it was safe to eat the fish out of our river, the next, it was no longer safe....like, ya, there was one massive chemical spill that year, no!! but we became aware of the problem that was growing with the pollution and acting on it.... epa was formed. and eventuallly, most of the mess was cleaned up. but, well, one area that I used to play in is still a superfund site that is waiting to be cleaned. the younger generations seem to be buying the idea that oh, there is just too much regulations, it's killing our economy....but they have no idea, no one does, what all those years of non regulation has done to our health, and theirs, and probably a few more generations to come!

they are being sold a load of lies!!
and well, like I said, the iras, the real estate, the social security, well the thieves came in the middle of the night and stole all those eggs out of the nests. they are hoping that they can sneak out of town before we all realize just what they have done! and well, their plan it seems is to convince the young that we didn't save, that we were just so irresponsible, ect.....and then slip out, leaving them holding the bag, the responsibility of caring for thier own elderly parents...while they happily live the good life, with the savings that those parents did have!
And, how many of this younger generation can honestly say, that they would let their own parents suffer, that they were that irresponsible that they deserve such treatment? I would bet not many would. They willl be willing to go the extra mile, do whatever they can, to help them out...they will end up paying, regardless. to do anything else would just cause their civilized mind to blow! Just like the sites that our fathers saw after marching into germany's concentration camps blew their minds!
Fraud has been found at every level of the process between assessing the value of the homes that were sold, to writing up the mortgage, to getting securtizing those mortgages, to rating those mortgages, to pawning those securities off to pensions funds, local governments, investment firms around the world...and then it continued on through the record keeping of the transfers of those securities! And, instead of charging the theives, our gov't has decided to give them tons of money for a "job well done"...
and the lies continue!!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BuzzCory
reply to post by molenews

Have a nice time at work tomorrow. I'll wave bye-bye as you go, & will be sure to think of you when I'm out enjoying the sunshine & unseasonably warm weather with which we've been blessed currently. It's so nice out, I may just get my nerve up, & leave my walker at home.

You actually think he has a job? He's probably living at home and sponging off his parents.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Why isn't Simpson on Social Security like the rest of us?

Instead he gets a fat Gov't commie style Pension and free Socialist health care for life, and I bet pre-existing conditions don't apply for him....and we pay for!

Don't believe the GOP propanganda about SS going broke and not having your money
in payments when you retire.

The Gov't has it in trillions in Gov't bonds/IOUs. If they can pay China on these
bonds they can support our elderly with the small monthly pittences they have earned.

Fight the basterds tooth and nail if they try to take it away and never given up that fight.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well, if the Social Security system is eliminated or greatly reduced then large cities and some States could bring the dead wagons back that were in use before SS was enacted by FDR and the Democrats.

The wagons went around the large cities daily and picked up the bodies of the elderly homeless who died on the streets.

What a even greater, greedier, country we would become by then, hey!

PS: Here in Arizona FDRs Grandaughter needs a life saving organ transplant and the state health care system said no.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
if the gov't is so broke, they have to borrow more money so they can make the interest payment on the debt that they already have.......
ummm......why are they doing this:

www.nytimes.com...

another whole agency, just to do the research and developement for the drug companies, and after they develope the drug, they will just turn it over to the drug companies???
but, na, they can't make good on those notes that they've traded the social security for for our cash, for all those stupid programs they've done in the past???
it's simple, if you are so broke, that you want to default on the debt you owe the trustfund.....
then you are too broke to keep spending, and should really start trimming your belt some....
not spending more and more!!!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join