It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On the rise - Out-of-Wedlock Infants Burned, Stoned and Abandoned in Pakistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Yahoo News

In the conservative Muslim nation, where the birth of children outside of marriage is condemned and adultery is a crime punishable by death under strict interpretations of Islamic law, infanticide is a crime on the rise.

More than 1,000 infants -- most of them girls -- were killed or abandoned to die in Pakistan last year according to conservative estimates by the Edhi Foundation, a charity working to reverse the grim trend

Some might say it's economics and not religion to blame. BUT ... it is noted that some parents killed their children on orders from an Imam based on religion. Others claim it's because adultry is a death-crime and so the product of that adultry is evil. Either way ... this is heartbreaking and twisted. So many people want children and can't have them. These children could easily be adopted and loved. And yet .. their short lives end in a painful and tragic death for them ... accompanied by blood on the hands of their parents and religious leaders.

Economics or religion or ______ (fill in the blank)
This is beyond sad.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
How can they live with themselves ? Kill your own kid because your religion told you to geez come on now you see what religion does to people ...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Some countries in Asia piss me the hell off.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
It would be really nice to see some rich Hollywood types adopt some of these children.
But I guess at the moment it isn't trendy to adopt from this part of the world.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

How can anyone comment on this. These people are insane.
Parents and imams alike...Even an economic issue does not justify this.
What does it say about the society they live in? Or our society even?

Sadly, nothing surprises me anymore.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
We never heard about these stories from Pakistan when they were our ally and we didn't want to invade them. Looks like we've chosen India as our ally in the region. Let the propaganda begin.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

This may be the first time I have ever starred FF. This is beyond sad. Poor Innocent kids. Where is the compassion? where is their basic humanity?? I normally dislike overseas adoption but this is an exceptional situation.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
I normally dislike overseas adoption but this is an exceptional situation.

why? Our daughter is adopted from Boliva. When she was in the orphanage there she was unwanted and she would have died. She had double pneumonia and hepatitius along with some other medial issues. If she hadn't been adopted, she would have died before her first birthday. Now she's almost 15 .. having a great life, happy and ALIVE .. loved a great deal by family and friends ... and at this time wants to study chemistry in college. She's a great kid who never would have given such joy to so many people if she had been left in the orphanage to die.

What's wrong with international adoption?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
Let the propaganda begin.

How is truth 'propaganda'? This is happening. The reason why is clear.
Please explain how this fact is 'propaganda'. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by againuntodust
Let the propaganda begin.

How is truth 'propaganda'? This is happening. The reason why is clear.
Please explain how this fact is 'propaganda'. Thank you.

It's propaganda because it's using a statistic, or "truth", to give an image of the country that is not true. Infants are dying in Pakistan, OK. Why? Religious terrorist nutjobs running the country who need to be overthrown before they export terror to the west? No. They don't legally allow abortions, that's why. There's some 900,000 unsafe abortions done in that country every year. There's way more than that number of abortions done in the United States each year. So while the story is tragic, it doesn't represent the people of Pakistan as a whole, and there are reasons behind the story that the article doesn't provide for you.

Look at the increasingly volitile relationship between Pakistan and India, and find the US position there, and connect the dots.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Sorry! I did not mean to caste aspersions on you it is just that some people have gone overseas to adopt as a way of circumventing the red tape and also the rigorous checks and balances that are designed to protect children. Some adoptees have suffered terrible traumas.

Adoptionis difficult at times and many breakdown entirely. UK statistics cite 40% collapse of adoptions.

I don’t know the circumstances of your adopting this little girl but you seem to be an upright person hence I salute you (for what it is worth).

I would rather good people adopt rather than allow kids to be harmed in any way.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

The difficulties of the red tape adoption process in the country these kids would be going to make it very hard. Australia is one of the toughest nations to bring adopted children back to.

new topics

top topics

join