It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Ala. gov: Just Christians are his family

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
THIS attitude is one of the reasons why we were so glad to move from Alabama. We had to live there for nine years. My family is Catholic (which a lot of the yahoos claim isn't Christian), and our daughter is 'of color' - hispanic (Only good for working on chicken farms according to some there) Just before we left, I remember someone writing in the Huntsville Newspaper that they wouldn't vote for Lieberman for VP (even though he was very qualified) because he's Jewish.

Yahoo News

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley told a church crowd just moments into his new administration that those who have not accepted Jesus as their savior are not his brothers and sisters, shocking some critics who questioned Tuesday whether he can be fair to non-Christians.

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother," Bentley said Monday, his inauguration day, according to The Birmingham News. The Anti-Defamation League on Tuesday called Bentley's remarks shocking.

The ADL calls this 'shocking'. I'm not shocked. In fact, the damnedable quote falls in line with the attitudes I experienced while living down there so I wasn't surprised at all. Gov Bentleys direct quote is pretty bad. Wonder what his Christ ... you know, the one that told the story of the good Samaritan ... would think about it. Technically the Samaritan wasn't a 'brother' to the person in the story, but he took care of him anyways and treated him like one.

OY! :shk:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I really despise politicians that mix religion with their duty to represent the people. Religion has no place in government.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Thus the dangers of mixing politics and religion. Politics are fine by themselves, and religion is fine by itself, but mix the two and you have poison.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Oh for Christ's sake... the man has only been in office for... what? 36 hours and already he's being hammered because of his faith?

Come on guys! Give him a chance to at least begin a formal inquisition or round up people for burning at the stake before you start the word riots.

Hell, I didn't even vote for him and I have no problem with not verbally assaulting him just yet.

Please, put down your torches and rope. Go back to your homes and sharpen your spear points. You can be sure he will make a bigger blunder in this, his first days as governor... just be patient.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
People are so quick to jump to conclusions about this man who has yet to serve as one of the other poster pointed out, 36 hours. He can think or say whatever he wants so long his policies are not discriminatory.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I just find using religion in politics highly unethical, and inappropriate, and these people shouldn't be in office alienating portions of their constituency like this.

This does show discrimination. Basically he is discriminating against anyone who isn't Christian.
edit on 1/19/2011 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Pal, I hate to hurt your feelings but... you are NOT my family because, we just are not related. What's more, I really don't associate much with people who don't drive 1965 Ford F-100 trucks... which means I don't have a lot of company for dinner.

Guess I don't get to run for g'uvnor because... I might just discriminate all over someone's Lexus.

Don't you just hate when auto antiquers are allowed to run for office?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Ahhhh this is Alabama for you. I personally won't have a problem with it unless he seriously starts discriminating against non christians. Religion will probably always be part of politics here, good way to get votes lol

I don't consider jesus to be my "savior" per say but I do go by his teachings of love and forgiveness. I also think that's really what jesus was all about, not you literally needing him to be your savior but living by his teachings will lead you on the right path. My opinion!
Wonder what he would say if I told him I wasn't a christian but I believe in God
that would be a true test.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
So far as I am aware... please correct me if I am wrong, one does not get executed in Alabama for being a Christian, going to church or even daring to publicly talk about either.

What's more, until he has officially commissioned his dungeon, stocked it with nonChristians and begun formal proceedings for burning, beheading or gutting, he is not in violation of any law.

Moreover, since the only act he has signed so far actually disbands the state's anti-gambling task force, it is likely that his brethren Christians are more pissed at him than you are for just admitting his faith.

Please don't crucify our new g'uvnor. At least, not yet....

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

First of all, he was in a "church crowd" speaking to those in a congregation. He was NOT in his office, sitting in his desk chair speaking to masses.

Second of all, someone not being his or my for that matter, "brother or sister in Christ" does NOT mean that he or I are refusing to help people (referring back to the person who mentioned the good samaritan). My family just returned from spending a month in a country whose major religion is mostly buddhism, then hindu, and then muslim. Many beggars and a very poor country. But just because those people do not share our faith does NOT mean my family was uncompassionate and greedy and did not give a few dollars here and there to help those in need. Christians do not typically roll down their window and ask a homeless person standing on the corner with a sign if they are a Christian before they decide to give a few dollars. Shocker: We also do NOT spit in their face, which is the way you make this man sound like he treats those in Alabama who are not Christians. We give just as all others do when we feel compelled.

I would have to listen to or read his entire message, but considering who he was speaking to and where he was, I would bet he was just relaying the message that those who do not know Christ, are not his brother or sister in Christ which is completely biblical and he also said that he wished (speaking from your posted quote only) that he wants them to be a part of the family of Christ and his brother and sister, which usually leads into the presentation of the gospel of Jesus. Nowhere in your posted quote did I see that he said he was not going to help them, but just stated a fact that if they were not Christians then they are not his brother or sister. As a Catholic and professing Christian yourself, I would have to assume that you have read the scriptures and understand that concept.

I do not know this man, have not followed him, nor am I from Alabama, but I am from Georgia (the bible belt) so I have a little more knowledge of where this man is coming from and his beliefs. I am sorry that you, being Catholic, as well as your daughter, have been insulted or mistreated in some way by those who believe differently than you. Yes that is always unacceptable in Christ's eyes and should be unacceptable in every Christian's eyes. But please don't single out an entire faith of people just because a few hurt you and your family. Give this man and other Christians at least the chance to either expound on what he meant or show you what he is really about. And also realize that although our (Christians) sin's are covered by the blood of Christ, that we are still not perfect and going to slip up and make mistakes. Take care and God Bless.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Sounds like he is aware there are cultural differences going on. At least he said:

and I want to be your brother

You cannot remove religion for politics any more than you can remove the left side of the brain from the right. Politics is about people and religion is one small part of that, there are many others. Religion at its basic level does provide some moral and ethical guidelines to live by. Religion at its extreme is just narrow minded. There are many different types of religion around and at their core they have a lot of similar values. You do not need religion to maintain these morals and values, but the are contained in the stories that have been part of our culture for a long time. Like most things in life it is just a matter of moderation, balance and perspective.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
the man has only been in office for... what? 36 hours and already he's being hammered because of his faith?

He's being hammered because of his stupidity. He said something very telling .. and it isn't pretty.

Originally posted by Misoir
He can think or say whatever he wants so long his policies are not discriminatory.

Consider the following ... the guy has been in office only 36 hours and already he's spouting about his religion and making public statements about how he thinks less of those who are not of his religion. These facts point out the need to keep an eye on this fella because it is very likely he COULD be discriminatory in the future.

one does not get executed in Alabama for being a Christian, going to church or even daring to publicly talk about either.

Of course not. But you do get cast upon for not going to the 'right' church and for not following the rest of the hoard down there in constantly preaching about how good a christian you are or preaching about what the 'right' church is ...

Strangest Alabama thing .... when meeting someone for the first time in Alabama they ALWAYS say .. 'so, what church do you go to'?? ALWAYS the same question. They can't resist butting into your business and they can't resist pigeonholing you and judging you based on where you go to church (or don't go to church).

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I and others are not big fans of politicians for starters .Its too bad they wernt all scumbags ,it would make it a whole lot easier to judge the lot . Hey if he is making statements in public that sounds better that in secret societies .One of the mysteries of religions I have noticed, is that you can find a few good apples in most groups .

I know some really wonderful catholics ,but as to what the Roman Catholic Church is about ,one would have to wonder how goodness could come from it ..must be devine intervention !
A vid to check out some time ...peace amazingdiscoveries.tv...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by redoubt

I just find using religion in politics highly unethical, and inappropriate, and these people shouldn't be in office alienating portions of their constituency like this.

This does show discrimination. Basically he is discriminating against anyone who isn't Christian.
edit on 1/19/2011 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

The man said this statement in a church- it has nothing to do with politics, however i hope he uses christianity in his politics. Being afraid of a book you never even read is ignorant, maybe you should go read the bible and study it a little before comenting on whether or not it should be mixed WITH politics

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Strangest Alabama thing .... when meeting someone for the first time in Alabama they ALWAYS say .. 'so, what church do you go to'?? ALWAYS the same question. They can't resist butting into your business and they can't resist pigeonholing you and judging you based on where you go to church (or don't go to church).

That is a stereotype... which is basically the same thing as racism and bigotry. You lump everyone in a state into a single type and then find the negative.

Regional bigotry. If you're from the south, you are therefore a bucktoothed hillbilly with a 3rd grade education who votes only for people in their own church.

Don't worry. I will prop your perceptions up a bit by confessing that I married my sister, keep a moonshine still in the back yard and feed yankee tourists to my pet alligator.

There, I fixed it. Happy now?

Sheesh!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The real idiots here are the people that felt they needed someone to lord over them in the form of a Governor.

Who is more crazy, the guy saying you're not his brother because you don't believe in Jesus or the guy that actually said "hey, I want someone to run my life"

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

Actually I have read the bible several times, "Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again" my friend.

That religion should have zero place in our political environment.

I have found VERY few Christians who even know the above verses came from Mathew 7 nor do they apply it to their daily lives.

Religion is fine, I am not condemning him for believing in Christianity. If that is what he believes then I say more power to him. Just keep it out of the Governors office. Too many politicians use religion for their politics and I believe that is a mistake.

This nation is never meant to become a theocracy, I don't want the Christian version of Sharia Law to come to America.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

That is a stereotype... which is basically the same thing as racism and bigotry.

Um ... WRONG. This is the truth. I was stuck living in that state for nine freak'n years. Everyone, without exception, would upon meeting them for the first time say 'so what church do you go to'. That's a FACT .. not a stereotype. And for you to pull the VERY TIRED old race card is beyond absurd.

Actually, you have it backwards. Those people are full of racism and bigotry. Those people couldn't mind their own business and had to pigeonhole everyone according to whatever church they did or did not go to. EVERYTHING centered around it. This was my experience after having lived there for NINE YEARS .. outside Huntsville Alabama (Madison Alabama to be exact) ..and Hunstville is supposedly a more progressive part of the state. :shk:

First day there .. right off the airplane ... got to the apartment and turned on the radio and there were radio advertisements for the KKK meeting to be held a few counties over. Then every damn church in town came knocking on the door saying 'what church are you going to .. come to ours .. everyone else is damned'. Those are facts .. not stereotypes.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

That religion should have zero place in our political environment.

Fair enough. So please explain, in detail, how a Christian saying that only Christians are his brothers and sister, in any way effects the running of the state?

Are you suggesting that this man... or anyone in public office, should fear admitting openly their faith beliefs? Does one merely need to be a Christian to be excluded from public office? Or maybe, just being seen in public altogether?

To this date and moment, exactly what crime has this ee-ville Christian done? Please detail so we can round up a persecutor... er, prosecutor and begin the trial.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Um ... WRONG. This is the truth. I was stuck living in that state for nine freak'n years. Everyone, without exception, would upon meeting them for the first time say 'so what church do you go to'. That's a FACT .. not a stereotype. And for you to pull the VERY TIRED old race card is beyond absurd.

No fact. It is an opinion; your own. no more, no less.

Oh, and I have no use for cards, racial or otherwise. It was an observation. You stereotyped an entire state because you disliked what... those you knew and met while you were here? So... 4 million people are immediately tossed into a pile, tagged and shipped off to the stereotype camp so that everyone gets a belly laugh.

I find your argument entirely without merit. You display an obvious dislike for people who are either Christian and /or from Alabama. Total strangers you have never met, are thrown into this pile.

That is what you are offering, and what I am rejecting.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join