It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant hole opens up behind house

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Here we go again with more sinkholes this time in China as reported on 17, Jan 2011. If it was me and my house fell in there I would rent the hole to the city for trash disposal and make a killing!!!

A Chinese family had to leave their home after a giant sinkhole suddenly opened up in their backyard overnight. The hole is nearly 70ft wide and nobody has so far even been able to measure how deep it is. Zhang Fengrong, 58, of Leshan, Sichuan province, said he suddenly heard a roaring sound at 2am. He stepped outside and was amazed to see the giant hole opening up, and getting closer and closer to his house. At first, it was only 10ft wide, but witjhin 24 hours it had reached it's current size - and the family say they will lose their home if it gets any bigger. Zhang said he had tried to measure the depth of the pit by letting down first a 130ft rope, then a 200ft rope, but they still hadn't reached the bottom. "We can hear the sound of water when we stand on the edge of the hole, but when we throw down stones we don't hear them land or splash," he added. The family are temporarily living in two rooms offered by the village office, and neighbours have helped them move most of their belongings from the house.

web.orange.co.uk...

I am under the age of 45 but in my short lifetime it seems to me that these things are becoming more common as time drags on. Is there anybody older in here that remembers these sinkholes being as common place back in the day as they are now? This one is not as dramatic as some that open up in the middle of a city block but none the less must be very stressful for the owner.
edit on 18-1-2011 by jaynkeel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I don't know why but this just creeps me out. I've heard of sink holes before but this is crazy.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I remember reading a HUGE thing about this on ATS,
From what i've read its actually fairly common

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Yes seems to happen more and more .

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
That would be a real nightmare to wake up to! Something like the twilight zone.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I wonder if they joke about digging a hole to the US down there?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

It will probably happen more and more as we suck water from the underground aquafers faster than they can be replenished, leaving huge empty cavities beneath our feet

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I think Chino from Deftones was onto something

"Hole in the Earth" by Deftones
Can you explain to me how
You're so evil (how?)
It's too late for me now
There's a hole in the earth (a hole in earth)
There's a hole in the earth (a hole in the earth)

I'm out..

Can you explain to me now
If you're still able well...
I think you know the truth
There's a hole in the earth (a hole in the earth)
I'm out
I hate all of my friends
They all lack taste sometimes
There's a hole in the earth
I'm out..
Please take a bow...
This is the end (somewhere)
This is the end

Somewhere...

I hate all of my friends
I'm out...
Hey..
Somewhere
edit on 18-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I'm wondering if here in the usa if the epa ( environmental protection agency ) would fine ya if you
did not fill it back up with dirt????????
the expense of moving could be much and wonder if the property could be resold??? or if an
insurance agency would consider it an act of God or fault of some company who built with inadequate
draining systems???
well of course it looks like the dirt had become super saturated with underground water but could
this be leading up to something even more dramatic???

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Hey you sure it wasn't my ex-wife who showed up?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by njl51

I am sure they would try to fine you. But I would blame it on them because in most locations you only own the top of the land and the government or whoever else owns the mineral rights right? Their problem then lol.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bee2010

There have been quite a lot of sink holes opening up lately...I wonder if there is a place where all of them have been documented ????
Anyone know ???

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by dnvrliz

Thats a damn good question, if you have the time locate and compile a thread for it so we could dump this all in one place from now on!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
An alien spacecraft took samples of our soil.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Sheesh! Talk about lucky! I bet there's no more than a foot of land between the house and the sink hole. That's scary stuff! Hopefully it doesn't get larger and take the house!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Pretty cool! Now they can turn the hole into a landfill and burn trash... or make a compost heap, think of the possibilities! The glass IS half full!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
That is one epic hole, would make one hell of a fish pond

Glad no one was hurt, gutted for the home owner though. Would you want to live there after that

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
One of these just opened up 10 minutes from my place. Same thing, Giant hole, several feet deep in the center.

right in the middle of the street.
Source

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

Thats gotta be a traffic headache. I bet the mafia would love to have one of the deeper ones where you can't see the bottom!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dnvrliz

Here you go..................

Sinkholes list

Dunno how complete it is
edit on 18/1/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join