It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water: Fact's and Mysteries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Some will come into is thread thinking "Well this is going to be boring.." I dont blame you, I'd probably do the same, However Water is Infact still shrouded in mystery and still till this day scientists dont fully understand Everything about Water itself. Ill make this as interesting as possible

=============================================================================

Water Covers Two-Thirds of our planet (And probably a little more after all this flooding) and accounts
for 70% of your overall bodyweight, No life we know of can live without this Existance giving fluid.

So by now you would have thought that as humans we would have figured out everything there
is to know about water but frankly we dont have the foggiest over some aspects of waters behaviour.

For example No one understand's fully how water can carry so much heat Infact the only theory
in this case came from a Chemist known as ken Jordan, He said "If the heat of the capacity of
water were half of its actual value, The temparature fluctuations in our enviroment would be more
extreme and this would have imporatant implications for life itself"

So Yeah a we pretty much dont know why it carries heat, But if it didnt the world would be a very different place.

Another question about water that scientists keep asking is the Molecular structure of the top two layers of liquid water.
Apparently says Ken jordan "No calculations carried out to date are able to account quantitavely for the surface tension of water"

And now for some strange properties of water:

Water's unique properties:

> The solid form floats on the liquid form. This property also explains why water pipes will burst when they freeze - something opposite of nearly every other simple substance. Mercury thermometers, for instance, do not explode when the temperature drops below the freezing point of mercury.

> The temperatures at which water boils and freezes are both higher than other molecules of similar size.

> Water has a large heat capacity; it can take in a lot of heat without its temperature increasing very much. This makes it an especially good coolant for a car radiator, and it's the main reason temperatures are moderate for coastal communities - as the ocean is slow to cool down or warm up.

> The high surface tension of water - its tendency to fight being pulled apart - explains why it forms droplets and why it climbs up the sides of a straw. It may also play a part in how the water strider walks on water.

Below is a good article on the mystery of Waters molecular structure:
www.livescience.com...

Now ten amazing facts on water usage:
(By the way a gallon of water is normally the capacity of those water coolers you see at work, Just so you have an idea on how much a Gallon is exactly
)

1. Set in the desert of Dubai, the Tiger Woods Golf Course uses 4 million gallons of water every day to maintain its lush appearance.

2. Since 1950, water usage in the United States has risen 127 percent.

3. Even though each person only requires 48 liters of water on a daily basis, individuals in the United States use an average of 500 liters, those in Canada an average of 300 liters and those in England an average of 200 liters.

4. Of all the water that enters each household, about 95% of it ends up down the drain.

5. With access to just 5 liters of water each day, more than a billion people in water poor regions around the globe survive on the same amount used to flush a toilet or take a 5-minute shower.

6. If you shorten your showers by just a single minute, you can save approximately 700 gallons of water in a month.

7. Letting the tap run when you brush your teeth wastes up to 4 gallons of water every time.

8. It takes an average of 300 gallons to water your lawn. During the summer, this can account for almost half of your water usage.

9. Every time you throw your clothes in the washer, you use about 50 gallons of water.

10. Another wasteful desert endeavor, the proposed Waveyards water park in Mesa, Arizona will require up to 100 million gallons of groundwater every year in an area that receives a mere 8 inches of rainfall in that time.

ANother brilliant read on the role water plays in our lives:
www.fmbr.org...

Picturing water as a liquid that can form two types of structure, one tetrahedral and the other disordered, could explain many of its unusual properties. Here are 10 of them.

Water is most dense at 4 °C

EXPLANATION: Heating reduces the number of ordered, tetrahedral structures in favour of a more disordered arrangement in which molecules are more densely packed. However, the heat also agitates the molecules in the disordered regions, causing them to move further apart. Above 4 °C, this effect takes precedence, making the water less dense

Water has an exceptionally high specific heat capacity: it takes a lot of heat energy to raise water's temperature by a given amount

EXPLANATION: Much of the extra heat energy is used to convert more molecules from the tetrahedral structures to the disordered structures, rather than into increasing the kinetic energy of the molecules, and hence the temperature.

Specific heat capacity is at a minimum at 35 °C but increases as the temperature falls or rises, whereas the heat capacity of most other liquids rises continuously with temperature.

EXPLANATION: Between 0 and 35 °C, increasing the temperature steadily removes regions of ordered, tetrahedral structure, reducing water's ability to absorb heat. Above 35 °C, so few of the tetrahedral regions are left that water behaves like a regular liquid.

Water's compressibility drops with increasing temperature until it reaches a minimum at 46 °C, whereas in most liquids, the compressibility rises continuously with temperature

EXPLANATION: As the temperature rises, the dense, disordered regions become more prevalent, and these are more difficult to compress. However, rising temperature also forces molecules within these regions further apart and hence makes them more compressible. This effect takes precedence beyond 46 °C.

Water is particularly difficult to compress

EXPLANATION: The strong attraction between water molecules keeps them more closely packed than the molecules of many other liquids.

This effect is particularly marked when the higher-density disordered structure dominates

The speed of sound in water increases with temperature up to 74 °C, after which it starts to fall again

EXPLANATION: This is the result of the interplay between water's unusual density and compressibility profiles, which directly stem from the changing balance between the two types of structure.

Water molecules diffuse more easily, not less easily, at higher pressures

EXPLANATION: High pressure converts more molecules to the disordered structure, in which they are more mobile.

Unlike many liquids, water becomes less viscous, not more viscous, at higher pressures

EXPLANATION: Molecules are freer to move when in the disordered structures, which are favoured at higher pressures, than when they are in the ordered, tetrahedral structure.

Increasing the pressure increases the amount by which water expands on heating

EXPLANATION: Rising temperature causes disordered regions to expand more rapidly than ordered, tetrahedral ones, and high pressure favours fluctuations to the disordered regions.

Properties such as viscosity, boiling point and melting point are significantly different in "heavy" water - made from the heavier hydrogen isotopes deuterium and tritium - compared with their equivalents in normal water.

EXPLANATION: The heavier isotopes change the quantum mechanical properties of water molecules, altering the balance of the disordered and tetrahedral regions.

And finally a brilliant Thought provoking video on Some of the Absolutely Amazing Qualities of water And its abilty to contain Thoughts and Emotions (Really inspiring/uplifting video)

www.youtube.com...

At the end of the day and in conclusion Water has me baffled to be honest, what seems like the easiet thing to understand is Actually another one of lifes many mysteries And yet we Need it to live, Surely more research needs to be done Overall on water and not just on the Toxicity of the Chemicals TPTB keep serving it with, I have infact been reading all day About water and this post was just some of the more interesting facts However there is a lot more information on the web should anyone wish to go see it

edit on 18/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Very cool thread, starred and flagged. I love the science threads here and I didn't think this would be boring at all and I was right! Thanks for teaching me something today.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by totalmetal

Thanks for Reading

It really is extrodinary stuff, But we seem to just take it for granted

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Great read! S+F.

Just the thought of all these elements we have today and how their formations are intertwined with one another is spectacular. You combine 2 elements and you get a brand new one. Water is just another breathless thing to marvel over. The universe is filled with many of these beautiful mysteries that maybe one day we can find and comprehend!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I also think water is very special and maybe has consciousness. We can affect water molecules with our thoughts according to Dr. Emoto's research. “If thought affects the molecular structure of water, then what effect might thought have on the human bodies?” Maybe water is truly a reflection of us.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Onboard2

Yes! I was reading that as well, Dammit, Thanks for reminding me, The whole Conciousness of water thing was something i was going to put into the thread, Ill go back and stick it in now, Thanks *Salutes*

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Your welcome. I think Dr. Emoto bases his research on the impact of our own thought consciousness on water. He doesn't say that water has consciousness.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

No but other have suggested such things, As Dr Emoto has found it reacts in some ways that could be typical of "Natural Memory" Or the ability to contain a thought based reaction, All of it really is amazing stuff

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
That's very interesting and Genesis starts out with the scripture "And god's spririt moved over the face of the waters". I'm not a bible fanatic, but I believe there's a reason for the words. And also Christ supposedly walked on water. If we are 70% water, can we raise our frequency to be as light as a water molecule?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I honestly belive There is a lot More to water than we give it credit, Its amazing stuff, Yet i cant help but think that bu adding chemicals to it in some way we could infact be killing its Brilliance in some way, However we consist Mostly of it, Infact the question is what if water may actually contain some sort of life force within it? I know the thought is purely speculation and i dont generally belive in such things, But say for a Moment there is a "spirit" as such Maybe water contains this.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Yes! A life force.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Onboard2
Yes! A life force.

"Be Water, my friend." - Bruce Lee.

Ever wonder why you are so thirsty and have to consume water with meals? I propose that you really don't need all that much food anyways.

Light + Water = Energy.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
We had to do an essay on water in the first year of sixth form, how boring. The only fact I remember was: water is the known as the universal solvent and can dissolve more things than any other liquid.

Also makes me think of the dihydrogenmonoxide facts

top topics

join