It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we meet and greet all the mods? (Here on ATS, I mean)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

Hello, I'm Argentus, arg, the bumpy blue reptile, it.

I enjoyed your story, and I think it's an apt analogy....... especially if there were several people inside the drive-thru that discussed your order prior to the person who ultimately offered you a solution.

I was invited to be a mod around the end of May of '10. We are encouraged to be the ATS member that we were prior to being mods, and I've tried to do that. It doesn't seem to me that I post as much as I once did, however I enjoy ATS as much as ever. I'm on ATS nearly every day, and pop around the site just as I always have. We have assigned forums, but most Staff seems to go where they are needed. I don't even want to contemplate what others wear when they moderate, and you shouldn't ask me either.

I always had somewhat of a short attention span, and being a moderator has helped that somewhat as I'm inclined to stay with something once initiated. I love it here and really appreciate the effort members put forth in their posts and threads, and I think I've really benefited from my time here -- registered in May of 2008. Thank you all!

I'm happily married, living in the Caribbean, and only log onto ATS from home. Much respect to those who are able and willing to work from their phones or other portable devices.

I suffer from rampant streaks of verbosity, and occasional inappropriate humor or attempt at same. As with others, I am unaware of which variables caused me to be invited to Staff......... I'm just glad they did.

I think we're all just like you -- approachable and a quarter-bubble off plumb.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Hope you will stick around as a Mod, at least until the test.

...just give me a heads up when the next Mod Test is...I'm sure I'll be away sick...*cough*...see, I can feel a flu developing already...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
So the moral of the story is that all mods are slackers who have no idea how they got in, or how they will bet getting out?

Is this a Vietnam Flashback?

All kidding aside; I do enjoy learning more about the people who run this place. Too many members are under the impression that you guys just sit in a large call center-esque room and yell at monitors all day while taking phone calls from the CIA, NSA and Cybercommand.

Ohh and I was told it kinda smells funny back there? Is this true
?

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

?

~Keeper

Yes...the boys back here are stinky. Typical boys locker room.
Us female staff continually are lighting candles and opening windows. Ugh!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

?

~Keeper

Yes...the boys back here are stinky. Typical boys locker room.
Us female staff continually are lighting candles and opening windows. Ugh!

Sounds like theres a need for more estrogen among the mod ranks lol

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Sounds like theres a need for more estrogen among the mod ranks lol

...or less baked beans and cabbage...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

Hmm.

I didn't think they would feed you too. Looks like Mark and Bill are VERY good to you folks eh? lol

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

We each have the ability to moderate throughout the boards but we have designated forums for editing and organization.

I only log onto ATS in my down-time. Although I will confess to occasionally modding while jammied, I have exercised the utmost in Civility and Decorum by refraining from modding in my underwear or under the influence for that matter.

I've been a member since 2007 and, as several others have already expressed about themselves, I'm not sure how I was tapped for Moderator. I suspect that it is likely related to some sort of conspiracy.
That or the fact that I can manage to be both opinionated and polite at the same time, which - as far as I can tell - is the single common denominator shared by all the Mods and Supers. That and Alien DNA.

The only other thing I should add by way of introduction is that I'm a girl.

Not "bro".

Not "dude".

Though my inbox is replete with messages addressed to that effect. I guess I need a pink avatar or something.

Thanks for asking OP!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Too many members are under the impression that you guys just sit in a large call center-esque room and yell at monitors all day while taking phone calls from the CIA, NSA and Cybercommand.

While the above isn't true I would appreciate it if someone told Jbird to keep his feet off of my desk...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
ME? who am I and how did I get here?I ask the same questions every morning...

I first stumbled upon ATS when I wondered if the question that I asked myself on 9/11 was answered...

Was flight 93 shot down?

As I watched the tragedy unfold that day, the only thing I felt that I was confident in knowing was..

"We got one"... Flight 93 that is, while I did get caught up in the "someone's gonna pay!!!" "let's Roll!" deal...

I never changed my mind on 93... still haven't..

But I digress, I stumbled upon ATS in 2004 searching for the truth... and found a community who were willing to discuss and not berate, even though it could get quite heated at times..

Then I noticed that the site had their own news forum, structured, and dedicated to presenting the news in the most unbiased way possible.. ATSNN... I was hooked, and after some groveling added to the staff of reporters, (those were the days my friend)

So basically, I am a news hound, I am for the most part, my own personal threadkiller but to me.. as long as you click the link and read what I present, that's all I want...

Flash forward to now, I am blessed to be part of a new venture, the ATS Live! radio shows, which has brought me so much inspiration, desire and fulfillment already.. In my minds eye, I can see members coming forth to contribute to this quest for the truth, much the same that I did back in 2004 when I saw ATSNN as a beacon drawing me in because of the intent...

I don't really know how I became a moderator here, I was shocked considering my relative anonymity, though that didn't prevent me from taking on the task, a decision I will never regret.... because the folks on the staff are A1 wonderful people, it is amazing, and something I never take for granted.

I feel fortunate to be able to share some time with everyone here.. staff & members included.. you are all special to me..

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by Gseven

The only other thing I should add by way of introduction is that I'm a girl.

Not "bro".

Not "dude".

Though my inbox is replete with messages addressed to that effect. I guess I need a pink avatar or something.

Thanks for asking OP!

May I....make a suggestion

( I kid!...I kid!)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I've been on ATS for a little over 3 years. I've been the weapons FSME for a few months I've been a mod for roughly 6 or 8 months now, maybe a year...dunno haven't counted really.

I'm rough around the edges and I didn't get my modship because I'm a super nice guy or anything... I just think the guys upstairs liked me. My only payment is being afforded more opportunity to share my knowledge and learn from others...
edit on 19-1-2011 by projectvxn because: iPod auto correct sucks.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I'm just here because of an administrative mistake... Shhhh. If you don't tell, I won't tell.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Oops. Sorry . Crakeur mentioned something about you being stuck on the Love Boat, so I didn't think you'd mind.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jbird

Hey! That's my Swingline!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

You're too young for office supplies, Shortcake.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Jbird

Could you at least turn the radio down...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

...but...but I'm collating.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gseven
Who moderates what?
Do you all sit in an office somewhere, or do you sit in your underwear at home? *insert humor*
How long have you been affiliated with ATS?
How did you come to be a mod?
Is this entirely volunteer or is it a paid position? (I ask, because I honestly don't know how it works - it seems like a very time-consuming responsibility)
How many hours do you contribute to ATS moderating?
Things of that nature!

Ooh.... answers as follows

1. We have assigned forum mods, and super mods can go anywhere.
2. From anywhere I am due to the wonders of the internetz and mobile broadband! Underwear is, of course, optional.
3. Been here since '06. Been a mod since '08. Been a Super Mod since Just before Christmas
4. Had my front door kicked in at 3am in the morning and was dragged outside by men in black who threw me into the back of a black '68 Lincoln. Woke up 6 hours later and was a moderator.
5. I volunteered

6. At least 20 a week, maybe more - not all on the board though as I do the radio stuff. It depends on the number of radio shows we do and how much attention the radio server needs.

Generally, I do this for the love of it. The place is great, the people are great and I've been into most of the topics discussed here since I was a kid.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Wow, saw some new ones I've never seen before....some of you know how to hide really well!

I should have said "staff" instead of just "mods", because I think it's great to get to know everyone....I don't know a whole lot about the top folks either.

Thanks so much for the replies....still laughing at a few!

I know this isn't suppose to be an intro for me, but I guess I can give a basic reply, if anyone cares to read. I'm here a lot....browsing, reading, sometimes getting involved in topics I should have never opened to read, but basically just skimming to see what's new in the world.

I suppose I got my start on forums while searching for "truth", back about 10 years ago or so. While that first forum I joined has long since been shut down, I've been in contact and friends with some of those folks ever since. After that, I joined yet another....and another....and another....but none of them really had the same oomph as the first one. Admittedly though, there were really no rules on that first one and no mods....it was a free for all, and pretty ugly at times. Other forums seemed to be overly moderated, to the point of suffocation. Then one magical day, someone sent me a link and said, "hey, have you checked out this forum called Above Top Secret?" That was maybe 4 or 5 years ago, but I didn't join right away....I lurked for a while. It seemed like this massive, foreboding place that would eat me alive if I dared speak. So I watched and waited until I just couldn't stand it anymore.

I'm a former Marine, but still affiliated with the military in a civilian capacity. I'm married with children....and grandchildren, but I'm not gray...yet!
I write a lot in my spare time, and can type pretty fast - this is bad, because my fingers can keep up with my thoughts, and I usually end up typing too much. I suppose there are worse things one can be guilty of!

If you want to know more, ask and I'll tell you in a private message. I prefer to be selective these days with private information after having picked up an internet stalker not once....but TWICE....over the years. (No, I did nothing to deserve it, they just kind of leeched onto me.) It can be unnerving at times, especially when they learn details about your family members. I hope everyone understands why I choose to keep certain things unclear...it is funny how some people think I'm female and others think I'm male. So I can say that I honestly sit and browse ATS in both my jammies and underwear, and still keep folks guessing, right?

Nice to meet everyone! Thanks for taking the time to respond! I'm sure a lot of other folks appreciate it as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join