It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we meet and greet all the mods? (Here on ATS, I mean)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
After just reading about Sauron's "promotion", it occurred to me that I don't think I ever wrote an introduction post for myself. (That's not what this is, by the way, and congrats to Sauron!) Well, in part, that was due to the fact that this is my second identity on ATS. I moved, got a new PC, and couldn't, for the life of me, log in, despite repeated password resets, so I decided to start over. I lost all my brownie points, but oh well, such is life. Anyway, I didn't feel the need to reintroduce myself, but it still got me thinking....

In the times that I've been here, I've often wondered about the staff. I mean, typically the staff knows who we are, but we don't always know who you are until you make an appearance. Of course, I'm sure that info is available on here SOMEWHERE, and I'm not one who likes to wander aimlessly in a maze...well, actually I do, but I get distracted too easily with all the neat stuff on ATS, and I forget why I wandered to begin with!

The setup here reminds me of a true (and funny) story that just happened recently. Of course, I'm American, but I live overseas. I was going through the drive-through one morning for some coffee...on base, everything is in English, but all jobs are contracted out to the locals, so understandably, there can be a language barrier at times, especially for trainees. So I'm sitting at the menu panel, talking to the "box", placing my order. I could tell the woman was new, so immediately I shifted my language into basic, clear words to help her out. I wanted something that I couldn't find on the menu panel and I asked for it. She didn't understand me, but rather than say "I don't understand", she simply came out and said, "no, we have no...."

I sat stunned for moment, because I knew I had just had one of these items a couple of weeks prior, and I couldn't remember the name of it. It was a Cafe' Mocha, or something along those lines....it was a warm morning, and I wanted my coffee cold, what can I say? Besides, Burger King's normal coffee tastes like liquid poop in a cup, and Starbucks was another 10 minute drive away - didn't want to wait!
Anyway, we sat for a few seconds in silence, while I pondered if it was worth the fight - after all, there were cars behind me, and I was starting to feel that evil glare from impatient, hungry drivers. But just as all seemed lost, I opened my mouth to tell her I would just settle for a normal hot coffee (yack!), a man's voice came over the intercom! AN AMERICAN VOICE! He says, "Sir/ma'am?" (keeping my gender anonymous) I say, "yes, God?" He chuckled, and sent my entire family into fits of laughter. "We do carry a cold Cafe' Mocha, if that's what you're looking for." Hallelujah! I wasn't insane! But more than that, I was shocked that this whole time, "the voice" was listening. I've been half tempted to drive up and ask for god himself, just to see if he answers.

Anyway, I shared that story to make the point that sometimes that's how I feel it works on here. Just when all seems lost or out of control, up pops god, (under the guise of moderators). Then POOF! they scurry away somewhere to watch and listen out of sight again, waiting for the next moment of language and communication barriers to pop up. Of course, not always, but the humor in this is what I'm getting at!

So, I said all that to say this...is it possible to have a roll call here? An introduction of all the mods? It would be nice to meet them. Now, I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, so before anyone gets upset, I did run a search, and the search was not working for me AT ALL. I'm taking a chance that maybe I have a new spin on this, and hopefully there isn't another thread like it. My apologies if there is, but like I said, the search function isn't working right now. It would be nice to see the structure of ATS and how it works...

Who moderates what?
Do you all sit in an office somewhere, or do you sit in your underwear at home? *insert humor*
How long have you been affiliated with ATS?
How did you come to be a mod?
Is this entirely volunteer or is it a paid position? (I ask, because I honestly don't know how it works - it seems like a very time-consuming responsibility)
How many hours do you contribute to ATS moderating?
Things of that nature!

It would be nice to meet all of you and have a roll call of sorts....a meet and greet, instead of the invisible voice of god that pops in once in a while! I realize most old-timers on ATS don't need this, but even having been on or lurking about here for a few years, I still don't know all the mods, or even how it works. At this rate, it would take me another several years just to get to know even a handful, and I doubt I'd be barely skimming the surface.

Here's to hoping you all will introduce yourselves! I don't mind privately introducing myself to all of you, but for obvious reasons, I will opt to keep as much about myself as anonymous as I can.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I think that is a fantastic idea, especially with new members showing up every day.....

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Due to the time zone differences, I'm hoping this doesn't fall to the bottom of the list before any of them have a chance to see it.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Be careful what you wish for. Your IQ will probably drop ten fold afterward.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

I've been on ATS for almost five years and a mod for three of them. Got picked to be a mod by contributions I think. I was a slow typer back then so I really had to have something to say to post it. I guess those posts got noticed and I was asked.

It is an all volunteer staff. We put in as much or as little time as we have. Most of us have jobs and all of us do really have real lives that we have to attend to. Some of us are very active, on almost every day and others, because of real life can only be here once and a while.

I guess that answers the how much time question. I personally am here just about every day. Sometimes for an hour or so, other times for many hours.

Turns out one of the other mods is from the same small town as me, although I am a bit older then them. To give a reference to it, I was coaching minor hockey when they were playing it.
edit on 18-1-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Great idea. I think they should all write short bios (what they moderate and a few other ATSy things)...post them...and then do the meet and greet. Oh and they should explain why every once in a while their avatars go all goofy

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I iz onlyies another person...who cares about this site...

That said...I have a laptop that I have owned for almost as long as I have been a member of Staff...so the office dealio is a no go. I log in from many locations (usually from home) and do what I can to maintain the site's civility and decorum when I have a chance...

I really have only met two Mods in person...and I had to drive for Hours! But we all communicate on a regular basis over the webz and make it work as we can...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by thethingreally
Be careful what you wish for. Your IQ will probably drop ten fold afterward.

Is my rhetoric that dense?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
...to address your questions:

Who moderates what?

Lists of specific Forum Moderators can be found on the bottom of each forum. (

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
Lists of specific Forum Moderators can be found on the bottom of each forum.

That feature left when ATS went all 2010 and stuff...

Everything else though...what he said...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by alien

Lists of specific Forum Moderators can be found on the bottom of each forum.

The list of mods for each thread and or forum is gone, has been since the big change, so we have no idea who moderates which forums any longer. At one time you could check and then look to see if they were online and contact directly via u2u. Hope they bring it back.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Who moderates what?
Do you all sit in an office somewhere, or do you sit in your underwear at home? *insert humor*
How long have you been affiliated with ATS?
How did you come to be a mod?
Is this entirely volunteer or is it a paid position? (I ask, because I honestly don't know how it works - it seems like a very time-consuming responsibility)
How many hours do you contribute to ATS moderating?

-I moderate all over the board. But I do not always "moderate". I try and post as a member as much as I can...if I feel I have something to offer.

-I am on a laptop, so I moderate from all over my house. What I wear is nun ya business
Oh and...I even log onto ATS from my phone when I'm away from home.

-I have been with ATS since 2007 and been a moderator for almost two years.

-Not sure how or why I was chosen...really, I do not know

-Absolutely voluntary. Although trolls seem to think we are all paid government agents. I am in school...so, I'm not a paid government agent.........yet

-I spend a ridiculous amount of time on ATS
I am also in school and sort of have a life outside of ATS. You could say I am rather addicted to ATS...but aren't we all?

-Somewhere along the way...I have picked up the nickname GEL. Even staff (who are my friends) call me GEL instead of my first name

You can hear me on ATS LIVE - Saturday nights...shameless plug

edit on January 18th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Ahhh crud.

...glad there isn't like a ATS SuperMod Relicensing Test or anything every few years...I'd probably fail...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I've been a member for a little over 5 years. It's a volunteer gig but the rewards are great. I've been privileged to meet so many wonderful people I'm proud to call friend. I'm not sure why I got picked to be a mod but I'm very thankful I was. Some days I'm on for hours other days not so much. I have a demanding real life job and a family that requires my time. I try to at least jump on in the morning before work to check u2u's. Wish I had time to post more; I've a couple of ideas for threads but time is limited.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Weelllllllll, I think that I'm pretty notorious, er, I mean, well known. If you have a topic, I probably had an opinion in it.

How did I come to the staff? I still firmly believe that I was asked to shut me up. Didn't work.

The remuneration isn't in cash but when you've helped a member through some hard times that more than make up for the lack of a cheque. Don't tell the Amigo's that though.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
reply to post by Aquarius1

Ahhh crud.

...glad there isn't like a ATS SuperMod Relicensing Test or anything every few years...I'd probably fail...

No problem, none of us are perfect, well maybe except me.

Hope you will stick around as a Mod, at least until the test.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I'm Jbird.

No one knows how I got in here but they're mostly polite and don't steal my lunch, so it's all good.

Oh, and GEL got in because of her ability to laugh in the face of pain.
(and no, I don't mean Semper)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Who moderates what?

-I have been with ATS since 2007 and been a moderator for almost two years.

-Absolutely voluntary. Although trolls seem to think we are all paid government agents. I am in school...so, I'm not a paid government agent.........yet

-I spend a ridiculous amount of time on ATS
I am also in school and sort of have a life outside of ATS. You could say I am rather addicted to ATS...but aren't we all?

You can hear me on ATS LIVE - Saturday nights...shameless plug

edit on January 18th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

Hi Karren / Watermom! How the heck are ya? I am sure there quite a few people that would like to know.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
It's nice to meet everyone, some of you may know me and many others probably don't if you are a fairly new member (within the last year) as I just returned to my position a few months ago after a little break.

I'm coming up on my 7th year on ATS, about 6 of them I have been a moderator. I moderate everywhere...really we all do behind the scenes. I'd say 99% of all actions on the board are discussed with the entire staff before any action is taken. In this way we are all aware with what's going on and our actions are all agreed upon by the staff. We are Borg

I love ATS, the staff and members. I like what this site stands for and am honored to serve it as a volunteer.

Here is a photo of me taken a few months back.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6991a3408aa3.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
*stands up*

Hello, my name is elevatedone and I'm a moderator at ATS.

I do a little modding from work during my lunch break and then usually every evening while at home.
Thank goodness my wife likes to play games, it frees me up for a lot of ATS time.

I spend quite a bit of time in chat. Chat is awesome, lots of cool people in there. Remember though, the usual subject being discussed in chat is Tater Tots.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join