It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dumbest thing i've read today.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Don't know about the rest of you, but a soldier does not give me my freedoms.

I have freedoms because:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Thyhorrorcosmic

I can fully agree with most of your post.

However, knowing what corruption they are signing up for is not always the case. It is niether fair nor correct to assume they "ALL" knew. Two of my nephews joined "The Few, The Proud" the Marines at 18. Being young and impressionable they actually truly felt they were doing an honorable thing. They were proud. They were excited. 6 years later... views have changed, boys turned to hardened men and neither are planning on re-upping. It is ingrained in most of us that to "Serve" our country there is no higher honor. When our children join for that I can do no other than take pride in them because in the end the government has stripped everything else from them.

There are a lot of men and women who awaken to reality and see what they are being made to do only AFTER they have signed their life over to Uncle Sam. Then there is not much you can do....

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
Don't know about the rest of you, but a soldier does not give me my freedoms.

I have freedoms because:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Nicely said my friend.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

I can fully agree with most of your post.

However, knowing what corruption they are signing up for is not always the case. It is niether fair nor correct to assume they "ALL" knew. Two of my nephews joined "The Few, The Proud" the Marines at 18. Being young and impressionable they actually truly felt they were doing an honorable thing. They were proud. They were excited. 6 years later... views have changed, boys turned to hardened men and neither are planning on re-upping. It is ingrained in most of us that to "Serve" our country there is no higher honor. When our children join for that I can do no other than take pride in them because in the end the government has stripped everything else from them.

There are a lot of men and women who awaken to reality and see what they are being made to do only AFTER they have signed their life over to Uncle Sam. Then there is not much you can do....

I truly believe that life is a learning experience and if that means for kids wanting to join the military with ignorance and coming out awaken then so be it. Many of us need to go through some tough things to wake up to the truth.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I would suggest watching the movie Red Dawn.......yes it is a movie, yes it is from the 80's, yet it still shows just how vulnerable our freedoms can be if not kept in check. And an FYI.I spent three years in Isfahan, Iran, between the ages of 10 through 12...I've seen what some of that culture can do and/ or expects......

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

You tell that to a gun toting, crazy individual and see how far you walk.........

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

As a combat veteran I am happy to see you exercising your rights and freedoms,
And your welcome.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by zoso28

Thank you sir!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by savageheart
I would suggest watching the movie Red Dawn.......yes it is a movie, yes it is from the 80's, yet it still shows just how vulnerable our freedoms can be if not kept in check. And an FYI.I spent three years in Isfahan, Iran, between the ages of 10 through 12...I've seen what some of that culture can do and/ or expects......

Wow, you better get a grip if you believe any portion of that piece of crap film is in the same galaxy as reality.
I believe Hermann Goering summed it up best.....
"Of course people don't want war, why should a poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best thing he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece?"
HERE is a link to the reality of war- en.wikipedia.org...
If I had the power and was offered the entire middle east in exchange for one US soldier I would say the price is too high.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing

Originally posted by savageheart

Wow, you better get a grip if you believe any portion of that piece of crap film is in the same galaxy as reality.
I believe Hermann Goering summed it up best.....
"Of course people don't want war, why should a poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best thing he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece?"
HERE is a link to the reality of war- en.wikipedia.org...
If I had the power and was offered the entire middle east in exchange for one US soldier I would say the price is too high.

Perhaps you should re read that which I posted. I lived in that culture for three years, and as I explained, yes, there were those who would rather have my head on a platter than accept me as a child, a human being. As for your ignorant response with regard to my reference to the movie, again, please take the time to read what it was I posted......that being that yes, I know it was a movie, yes I know it was from the 80's, however, you apparently missed the message that sure, if we don't have soldiers on the fence, on the borders.......THAT INDEED COULD HAPPEN! Wake up my friend.......without soldiers and those keeping a watch for that which may come across our borders more so than what already has........you will indeed see a situation as what was portrayed in that "movie."

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

ok in other words theyre meat heads they can handle physical harm but cant handle emotional harm
geez

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by robinmorningstar

like religious people defending their religion they have a vested interest in it.
you are the same just a different 'religion'

your argument is biased from the get go.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I don't know for sure if anyone will read what I have to say at this point into the thread, but I thought that for the sake of sharing my thoughts, I would add my two cents.

First of all, why are we bringing China into this? There is a totally different structure to Chinese life and rights than the United States, but you could say that about several places. I see no real reason to use China as an example of where they have fewer rights, the difference is philosophy, not military or government. The United States was founded on a philosophy primarily based upon the ideas and works of the English philosopher John Locke. America was founded on the idea that the rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness(as well as others) are given to each individual inherently once they are born. China simply was not founded on such a philosophy, the idea was unpopular or not thought of at China's origins, partly because China's origins far precede the life work of John Locke. This is important because as history shows us, most countries do not deviate a great deal from their founding ideals and history. One example of this today is America itself. Say what you want about the country straying from it's founding documents, I agree, but one thing America has certainly not changed is it's warring prowess. America began as a fighting country, lifting the cage of tyranny off of them and giving all of us a chance at a new way of life and to this day America still claims that it's warring efforts are motivated by the same cause.

So, how then, can a country which holds self evident that the freedoms of it's people are not to be given or taken away, claim to be defending those same freedoms? The only right that I would accept could be taken away from me in this country is the right to breath, to live, and really the United States itself is doing a fine job limiting that. A work in progress, it would seem. Some might say, "well, if you haven't got a United States, then you haven't got a ground to stand on which let's you express your rights." This would be a valid argument if there wasn't as much evidence as there is that the country's officials, known and not, are already working to abolish this country and what it stands for. Abe Lincoln said that America will never be brought down from the outside but if it isn't careful, it will crumble in on itself from the inside. Of course this is the case, America is the great empire of our times, it's the land where the greatest minds with the greatest ideas come to live, people who want to do great things with their life come to America. From history, what do we find about great empires? They are challenged consistently but not conquered by outside forces, they always crumble from the inside, from the failing of itself.

So, to get to the point, soldiers are incredibly well trained in tactics and obedience, there is much about each soldier to be admired and soluted. However, do soldiers protect our freedoms? As stated, they are freedoms which cannot be taken, as long as the United States stands the freedoms stand. They are not privaleges given to us by our country, that is not the attitude that the founders would have wanted us to have. The attitude of oweing our country because of our freedoms... which the founders themselves said were not given by the country, but God himself. Why give credit to anyone for what is inherently yours? Next will we praise our governments for life? Were they responsible for that? Some will say that without government, our freedoms and our lives would be in incredible danger, but yet the facts show that the government in itself has been more responsible for the impeachment of rights and for the endangering of our safety than any terrorist around.

What you find is that nowadays the differences between the United States and China are narrowing, the difference though is that China is honest about it's intentions wheras the United States keeps us in the dark, pondering and worrying. At least if you and I knew with absolute certainty that wars are funded by the same people on both sides, that it's all just a big ritual inspired by greedy interests. If we all knew that great museums in the middle east were being robbed and that the major reason for forming a 'democracy' for our arab friends is to better control them and to form deals for oil... If we all knew that the military isn't obligated to represent our country in a proper way when in national lands, I think most of us wouldn't have to know much more before we marched to Washington. At least if we knew what we've heard speculated in conspiracy theories was true, we could get something started.

Until next time,

TheGoodDoctor

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thyhorrorcosmic

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I could tell you what the dumbest thing I'VE read today is.... you might find it a bit ironic.

Why is there such hatred for our soldiers? Last I checked the soldiers didn't get to actively vote on the what, where, and when, of their next mission. I appreciate thier heart.

Now if you want to talk about how sick it makes me that the government uses these men and women as disposable assasins... whole other story.

Don't get me wrong, i feel for these soldiers having to do extremely scary tasks and possibly losing their life...but they knew darn well what they were signing up for, nobody forced them. I don't HATE the soldiers, but its a very sad story when you hear a soldier trying to say hes fighting for our freedom when he really isn't...now if the chinese came over to our country and put their tanks and troops in our streets and tried to change our way of life then thats when they can say they are protecting our freedom. What i do hate is the scumbags in government that use our soldiers' lives for profit.

The Soldiers and Marines are fighting "over there" so that they don't HAVE to be fighting in the streets here. People like you would most likely collaborate with whatever enemy finally takes the initiative and invades us. It will happen eventually, because they know the sheeple won't put down their cell phones, or miss Oprah to try to stop it.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Our military is on ready to defend us. its a standing military. It is not the soldiers fault or our military that they are misused by our presidents and our politicians being sent into unjust wars and dying for things that do not concern our freedoms. WHen the time comes and IF it comes these fellow Americans you hate so much are ready and willing to lay their lives down for YOU.
How about blaming the people for misusing our children and family... and demanding accountability?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

I can't believe that you're praising someone who is partly responsible for the extermination of 10 million people, 6 million of the being of Jewish or of Jewish descent.

To the OP: Just who is responsible for free speech and free press? It sure isn't a whiny protestor.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I think just about every capable American is ready to defend their countrymen should "the time come". I know I am, but you'd have to kill me first before I join the military to invade a third world nation in the name of the bankers... err... I mean freedom.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by havenvideo

I think just about every capable American is ready to defend their countrymen should "the time come". I know I am, but you'd have to kill me first before I join the military to invade a third world nation in the name of the bankers... err... I mean freedom.

So blame the gun rather than the person who pulls the trigger, huh? Yes, countrymen running to the aid of fellow countrymen.. it has worked out so well in the past.. like after Katrina to name just one.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Right. Soldiers become violent when idiots like you spout off about them. I've served my country twice. I've met hundreds of other soldiers, who honestly love this country. Do I agree with the wars? No. But that is neither here nor there. Like any other profession, I have a boss. If my boss tells me to do something, I do it or lose my job. Or in the military, I go to prison. I signed a contract, and I've carried out my end of the deal. Terrible person I am. One of my best friends, and room mate while deployed, was killed by an EFP while he stopped to give an Iraqi child the shoulder insignia of the US Flag he was wearing on his uniform. The Iraqi child also was killed. Right or wrong reasons, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are being fought by soldiers from all around the world who genuinely want to make the best of a bad situation, and genuinely care about and respect the people whose land to which they have been sent. It is the soldier who organizes food/clothing/sports equipment/toy drives for the families in Iraq and Afghanistan, and has the items sent monthly to be distributed to men, women, and children alike. Funny, the thousands of items I had donated over my 32 months in Iraq, never once was that mentioned in the news....and I was just one of thousands of soldiers who have done the exact same thing. Take your blinders off or keep your mouth shut. The Army, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Navy aren't made up of rogue killers. They are made up of 26 year old farm boys who have children, wives, brothers and sisters, and best friends, just like you. Are there bad apples? Sure. There are anywhere you choose to look. Do you even know any soldiers personally? The OP is possibly one of the single most ungrateful, rude, and disgusting things I have ever read.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Nice job twisting my words. I would never blame a contraption over a humans action. You probably think I'm some "leftist hippy" don't you? Go ahead and throw me a label...

As for Katrina, notice I said CAPABLE Americans. Pretty much the opposite of the wonderful folks who were affected by it. I still don't understand why they needed military action for that. Is it the military's job to oppress the undesirables for the interest of corporations? I honestly haven't seen anything other than that in my lifetime.
edit on 19-1-2011 by havenvideo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join