It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Developing Hyperplane

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Didn't NASA fly that experimental craft to Mach-9 a couple of months ago?
Plus you want to see hypersonic strike fighters wait until Global Strike is implemented and the Falcon Strike Vehicle comes out.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
West point if Congress keeps slashing projects right as they are about to bear fruit we will still be using the b-52 in 2150!
Nevermind what we have on the drawing board, because without budget it's all just pretty pictures and aerospace engineering pie in the sky.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
But what motive does India have in this race??
It cannot compete with the others for passenger travel..
Is it just a tech statement??

i dont think india has any intent of winning a race or something. it would be impossible for india to match US funding.

IMHO its a mere tech statement.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
Westpoint please ensure you research more before posting.
Also i recomend you to shed all patriotism and prejudice, try being more prudent while posting

Same goes for you"Stealth Spy". Your posts are always about hyping some Indian aircraft - in this case a "hyperplane" for God's sake. If you also shed your 'patriotism' and prejudice, you'll have little to post about except pictures and models
The same kinds of things a lot of us drew and built when we were back in elementary school.

Now before you go and flame anyone else, it's way past your bedtime.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I have heard of this program before, but it is good never the less.

The more compitition the US has the better, because that will force us to get it before everyone else.

As for the whole US vs India (or anyone else for that matter) - it's getting old. Does India have a very good modern airforce? Hell yes! Can they even hope to be realistically compared to the USAF at this point of time? Hell no!

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
I have heard of this program before, but it is good never the less.

The more compitition the US has the better, because that will force us to get it before everyone else.

As for the whole US vs India (or anyone else for that matter) - it's getting old. Does India have a very good modern airforce? Hell yes! Can they even hope to be realistically compared to the USAF at this point of time? Hell no!

cant argue with u there. but usa is not an enemy of india and vice-versa.there is no need for competition,. even if there were any it would be impossible for india to.

BTW : westpoint's new avatar is very provocative and objectionable. please change it at the earliest.

Read www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   

BTW : westpoint's new avatar is very provocative and objectionable. please change it at the earliest.
Read www.abovetopsecret.com...

I disagree. I like the avatar

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Your posts are always about hyping some Indian aircraft - in this case a "hyperplane" for God's sake. If you also shed your 'patriotism' and prejudice, you'll have little to post about except pictures and models

lets see u post a real pic of the US's hypersoar.

The same kinds of things a lot of us drew and built when we were back in elementary school.
Now before you go and flame anyone else, it's way past your bedtime.

ha ha if u've ever passed out out of middle school, u would have realised that people in different parts of the world live in different time zones.

to think the world shares the same time with you....god save you

beides my original post to westpoint was several months back, and was a general reflection on his "spit on everything non american"attitude.

but the returned and new westpoint is a lot more better

also, westpoint has alredy replied to my post directed to him. i wonder why u should cover up for him
....maybe u were mesmerised by his earlier avatar too.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Stealth Spy hope your happy that they made me change my avatar,
I guess little children like you can't handle cartoons wearing a flag

But don't worry, I've got something I'm working on right now that will be better than the last one.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Stealth Spy hope your happy that they made me change my avatar,
I guess little children like you can't handle cartoons wearing a flag

But don't worry, I've got something I'm working on right now that will be better than the last one.

that avatar was not the one i was complaining about.

the one with the young lady wearing nothing but a small bikini and posing provocatively with 90% of her private parts exposed was not in the best of taste.

u can revert back to the batman like avatar if u want to.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Alright gang, let's stop with the sniping.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Yeah man I joined this forum thinking it would mostly be serious investigation of stuff that governments etc like to keep secret, not to see a bunch of babies squabbling. Maybe the only Real ATS is RATS

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Alright gang, let's stop with the sniping.

your wish is my command.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I thought it was but whatever, I wont argue over it anymore what's done is done.

West Point ,Out.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   

cant argue with u there. but usa is not an enemy of india and vice-versa.there is no need for competition,. even if there were any it would be impossible for india to.

I don't mean competition in a bad way - I just mean that when other countries try to build something it forces the US (and everyone else) to look at the idea and if it is good try to beat them to the punch.

By the way, I actually see India as a future close ally of the US. We can see this ties growing with air exercises and proposed weapons sales.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The AVATAR looks like it'd be more suited to launching satellites than military purposes, but the idea's feasible, and there's no reason why it can't be done.

I should look more into this.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
A while back I was looking at a NASA page with next generation shuttle designs and some looked a lot like that hypersonic indian craft, but all of the designs were rejected; mostly because they didn't fix the current shuttle's biggest problem: that it could have payload loaded and be refited at the same time.
Last I checked they were looking into designs with removable payloads.

Ill get a link as soon as I find the page. With NASA's site it could be a while.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Stealth Spy,
Please don't hype the AVTAR project so much. Its just a concept on the drawing board.The DRDO and companies working on it need a lot of technological input from other countries.It would be foolish to term it as an acheivement.Its just a plain concept on the drawing board.The way INDIA has gone with the other projects we will be over 20 years behind the U.S Russia,France (i.e.E.U)& possibly China for getting a developed flying AVTAR . And then we'll see these planes developed by the country being obsolete and ineffective. Look at the lunar project being launched by ISRO or even any other we have no focus on our projects.We do our projects just to show we have certain capabilities and need'nt fundamentally be of any use to us.
Probably we should concentrate on developing and improving our missiles, our howitzers and or main armament which we import from countries like South Africa,Isreal & Sweden.

Jai Hind

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ajju
Stealth Spy,
Please don't hype the AVTAR project so much. Its just a concept on the drawing board.The DRDO and companies working on it need a lot of technological input from other countries.It would be foolish to term it as an acheivement.Its just a plain concept on the drawing board.

You seem to be pretty unupdated on the AVATAR .It's to fly in 2007. That's 2 years from now.

Read this :

HYDERABAD: The Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) is poised to test-fly the first version of the hypersonic cruise vehicle in 2007.

It has asked the Andhra Pradesh Government to provide 2,000 acres of land on the city outskirts to set up infrastructure for the hypersonic flight programme.

"Work has been on for the past three years and we intend to test-fly the world's most integrated hypersonic system three years from now," DRDL Director Prahlada told presspersons here on Tuesday, on the eve of National Technology Day.

Hypersonic flights move at sustained speeds above Mach 6 — 6,000 km an hour or 5-12 times the speed of sound — and offer potential applications in military, space and civil use.

Dr. Prahlada said Russia and France evinced a keen interest to work on the subsystem and component levels of the plane.

The Centre would fund the programme, whose cost is said to run into several hundred crores.

The recruitment of scientists and engineers was on in a big way. Some non-resident Indians were also keen on working in the programme.

The DRDL, which powered the supersonic cruise missile BrahMos that travels at Mach 2, into space, had the wherewithal to work on hypersonic applications, Dr. Prahlada said.

source >> www.hindu.com...

Another source if you aint convinced

Indian defence scientists are aiming to build a plane designed to cruise at speeds three times faster than existing fighter aircraft while consuming less fuel.

The Hyderabad-based Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL) is building an 8metre technology demonstrator, which will be powered by a supersonic combustion ramjet (Scramjet) engine that takes oxygen from the atmosphere and burns liquid hydrogen.

"The ground tests of the engine would begin in 2005 and we aim to fly the unmanned aircraft in 2007," DRDL Director Prahlada told PTI in Bangalore.

The aircraft would be built in India's aviation capital, Bangalore, and Hyderabad. It would be a high speed transport aircraft with an engine that does not have a compressor or a turbine.

"The scramjet engine takes in oxygen from the atmosphere, liquefies it and uses it for the cryogenic engine, improving the efficiency of the plane by several factors because the weight of the fuel, particularly for long distances, constitutes around 70 per cent of the total weight of the aircraft," officials said.

The technology demonstrator would be a precursor to President A P J Abdul Kalam's dream project and DRDO's Aerobic Vehicle for Hypersonic Aerospace Transportation (AVATAR).

India has achieved considerable progress in the air breathing engine technology (ramjet) at sub-sonic speed in its surface-to-air Akash missile programme, but is yet to master the technology at supersonic speed of up to Mach 7 (speed of sound is referred to as Mach). "We are improving on our expertise in air breathing engine technology and it would be used in an unmanned aircraft," Prahlada said.

Incidentally, the country is in race with the US, Japan, Russia and China to build a hypersonic plane which is expected to revolutionise low cost space travel. The Indian Space Research Organisation has begun conceptual studies to build and launch a reusable launch vehicle using air-breathing technology by 2015, he said.

DRDL is jointly working with academic institutions, including the IITs and the Indian Institute of Science, besides collaborating with the Mishra Dathu Nigam (Midani) to develop high temperature Nickel-Cobalt alloys and carbon composite materials, which could withstand heat during high-speed flight of the hyper plane

source >> www.rediff.com...

and another >> www.uniindia.com...

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has completed the ground-level trials of the air-breathing engine and is preparing to move into more advanced stages of development.

Special teams have been formed to prepare the indigenous system for its first flight. ‘‘We plan to put it on a sounding rocket instead of carrying it on an aircraft like NASA. The module will be launched at a height of 20-25 km at a speed of about Mach 6. It will draw oxygen from the atmosphere and convert it into fuel for further propulsion,’’ top sources said.

Through the Air-Breathing Propulsion Project (ABPP), being undertaken in Thiruvananthapuram, Indian space research will join the league of the US. Though many other countries attempted the concept, none had been successful.

‘‘We are happy with the ground tests. The system produced desirable floor rates. Next round of experiments will be held at the National Aeronautical Laboratory, Bangalore,’’ sources said.

The ISRO will also send a special team to the Liquid Propulsion Centre, Mahendragiri, for a crucial phase of the project. ‘‘This is injection of hydrogen into the system. During its supersonic flight, the technology will breath in oxygen. This will be mixed with hydrogen on board to create fuel for forward manoeuvres,’’ sources said.

The ABPP, also known as hyperplane, is intended at providing a most-efficient, technologically-reliable and cost-effective space launch system.

‘‘We have adopted a step by step approach. And the first strides have been quite satisfactory,’’ said G.Madhavan Nair, ISRO chairman. ‘‘The engine module has been satisfactorily tested at ground level. We are indeed hopeful of flying it in another 18 months’ time,’’ he said.

The ISRO is aiming to touch Mach 6 during the first flight. ‘‘We have demands for achieving Mach 10. This is, perhaps, the first step,’’ Madhavan Nair said.

The idea of using a two-stage sounding rocket is also to keep the costs down. The system may be accommodated in the second stage of the rocket that will effectively take it up to 25-km height. ‘‘The scientists have been able to hold combustion effectively. This, itself, is a significant landmark or a strong foundation for us to build further,’’ sources said.

India plans to use the hyperplane for cheaper satellite launches. A similar project, titled Avatar, is also being undertaken by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). ‘‘Any rocket system will have military use also. So it’s not surprising,’’ sources quipped

Full article.... (requires simple registration)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join