It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antidepressant may cool hot flashes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Antidepressant may cool hot flashes

www.cnn.com

The antidepressant Lexapro (escitalopram) may reduce the frequency and severity of hot flashes, the bouts of sweating and overheating that are an uncomfortable fact of life for many menopausal women, a new government-funded study suggests.

The study, which appears in the Journal of the American Medical Association, included more than 200 middle-aged women who were experiencing an average of 10 hot flashes per day. After eight weeks, women who took Lexapro every day were having about 5.25...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yummy yummy yummy. Antidepressants for everyone! Take them when you're sad, and when you're happy!

You can take them in a car, you can take them near and far, you can take them Happy Sheeple, you can take them near the steeple!

Well I'm no Dr. Seuss, obviously, but enjoy your pills people. They eat your liver, they rot your brain, but at least you'll spend the rest of your life with a wonderful grin.

I think I'll add some Prozac to my breakfast, it's just wonderful! I wonder what antidepressants aren't good for!?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2011/1/18 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
and if it doesn't, who will care

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
There is also another medicine they use for that it's called Gabapentin. Primarily used for shingles and to treat/block nerve pain for back pain sufferers. It seems many medicines serve a dual purpose.

Other uses for this medicine Gabapentin is also sometimes used to relieve the pain of diabetic neuropathy (numbness or tingling due to nerve damage in people who have diabetes), and to treat and prevent hot flashes (sudden strong feelings of heat and sweating) in women who are being treated for breast cancer or who have experienced menopause (''change of life'', the end of monthly menstrual periods). Talk to your doctor about the risks of using this medication for your condition.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on 18-1-2011 by jaynkeel because: add link

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

I think antidepressants are a wonderful tool in aiding serious depression and even in some cases anxiety. BUT it is largely over prescribed for obvious evil reasons. I know people who used them and who became such happier people, even when they got off of them, and who claimed it really helped them. I also know people who said it didn't do anything or made it worse. I think they they can definitely help, but people have to do their research before popping such a powerful pill, and consider alternatives such as good sleeping habits, exersize, and a good diet. Antidepressants aren't the problem, it's the script happy doctors and drug corporations behind them.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
We call them hot flushes over here,

Anyway, it is the strangest thing that it's considered a cure for the flushes/flashes, except for one thing, and that is I'm a male, and have used anti depressants well beyond the buildup period. I went off them, and never used them since, and the main reason was because they made me sweat at night profusely and no sleep. My doctor, who is also a friend, said that those symptoms can happen. In edit he is right I found this immediately,

www.sweatsolutions.org...

Both of those I tried are on the list, and it includes this subject matter??
edit on 18-1-2011 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
10% of this country im in is on antidepressents..

including some of my friends...

the rest is smoking pot..

or watching tv 5 hours a day

wtf is wrong with this world..

the worst thing about women taking antideps is that woman are true believers in the medical industry while men have a hard time even to see their doctor.

maybe they are of use to some, but 10% of the total population.. including kids and old timers.. and now lets take them for our period.. why not sell them as candy too

smoke a joint for gods sake, nobody killed themself on that one

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Translation: Sales are down.

Alternate Translation: We must expand! our markets!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
...what that study really shows, imo, is that common sense is not common...

...you know those thin cold-packs you can buy to keep your beer cooler cold?... they make fairly small ones too that fit right up under each boob... saggage and gravity can be a plus sometimes... whether its a menopausal hotflash or the a/c going out during the hell season, cold-packs are life savers...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by iniut

Yes. And although there are things that we're not allowed to discuss on these forums
nothing will destroy a persons brain cells worse than anti-depressants. Any natural option is a much better idea.

I was put on anti depressants once for about 3 weeks, and I felt like a zombie. It was after some personal problems that I had a reason to be sad about. I had a beer and ( insert option ) , and felt well enough to quit the anti depressant, and I had to go back on the anti depressant for another week and wean myself off because I was getting shocks inside my head. Felt like literal shocking electrifying zaps in my brain. You can't just quit.
That's when the doctor told me that they don't even know how those things work

Ladies, stick with natural alternatives, exercise, vitamins, healthy food. Take up yoga.
Cold paks under the breasts if necessary, but don't take their zombifying pills. Please.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

More drugs please. Just what we all need.

An alternative if anyone's interested, cold water or ice on the pulse points brings down internal temperature VERY quickly. Learned that little trick from a Marine whilst hiking down the Grand Canyon. It's a survival thing. Works.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Very good you got of that dope..
Actually my very best freind is on them and gets these shocks in the brain that you're talking about.. i just hate to see that and there is nothing i can do about it.
so please every body reading this, sometimes you can get that low that you really think youre going nuts, but hang in there, dont give in, somebody normally comes and saves you, and dont you mind surprising yourself how black you can get, snaring at other people and shouting at the traffic.. its temporary.
you get over it. dont give in to the medics, eat some veges instead, drink some wine, kiss somebody or make love even its not with the one you want
life is ever changing, you are ever changing.. dont give in to some drug they dont even know how works

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Women in Asian countries rarely get hot flashes because they have high amounts of soy in their diets that bolster estrogen. Eat soy for hot flashes.
edit on 19-1-2011 by lostviking because: type

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by iniut
10% of this country im in is on antidepressents..

including some of my friends...

the rest is smoking pot..

or watching tv 5 hours a day

wtf is wrong with this world..

What's wrong?
Not smoking pot enough...

Peace

top topics

join