It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about Judaism!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Being Jewish I'm not surprised that people have never under the nature of Judaism and all the concepts of the Jewish faith. I would like to start a thread where I answer questions about Judaism, G-d, the mashiach, ethics, religion, atheism, evolution, and Judaism, angels and demons, love and hate, food, sin, Christianity, Islam, and other religions and so forth. I have an open mind but I am ignorant about beliefs out there. Since I see Judaism as the truth above everything else in the world. But where is hate going to bring us? No where! Ask me anything and I will answer with my point of view and sources from Jewish websites. So, I can hopefully help you understand better.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Sectumsempra

Please define G-D Torah and the jewish people.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Hi ...I recently started studying about the sanctuary and the sacrifices ,which is a interesting topic ..My question would be one pertaining to the book of Daniel but am not sure you would be allowed to answer it ..Do you have any restrictions on discussing that book? .....peace

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

IF.. the state of Israel was formed out of what we are told was horrible treatment by the Germans..

WHY... are the people of Israel doing the same thing to the Palestinians to this day?

To communicate anything to a Goy about our religious relations would be equal to the killing of all Jews, for if the Goyim knew what we teach about them, they would kill us openly.

Libbre David 37

A Jew should and must make a false oath when the Goyim asks if our books contain anything against them.

Szaaloth-Utszabot, The Book of Jore Dia 17

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian

Please define G-D Torah and the jewish people.

That should be easy to start off with. I will start with G-d in Judaism. I will start of with describing the nature of G-d and then we could dig down deeper if you want.
G-d's existence

The fact of G-d's existence is accepted almost without question. Proof is not needed, and is rarely offered. The Torah begins by stating "In the beginning, G-d created..." It does not tell who G-d is or how He was created. In general, Judaism views the existence of G-d as a necessary prerequisite for the existence of the universe. The existence of the universe is sufficient proof of the existence of G-d.

G-d Is One

One of the primary expressions of Jewish faith, recited twice daily in prayer, is the Shema, which begins "Hear, Israel: The L-rd is our G-d, The L-rd is one." This simple statement encompasses several different ideas: 1. There is only one G-d. No other being participated in the work of creation. 2. G-d is a unity. He is a single, whole, complete indivisible entity. He cannot be divided into parts or described by attributes. Any attempt to ascribe attributes to G-d is merely man's imperfect attempt to understand the infinite. 3. G-d is the only being to whom we should offer praise. The Shema can also be translated as "The L-rd is our G-d, The L-rd alone," meaning that no other is our G-d, and we should not pray to any other.

G-d Is The Creator Of Everything

Everything in the universe was created by G-d and only by G-d. Judaism completely rejects the dualistic notion that evil was created by Satan or some other deity. All comes from G-d. As Isaiah said, "I am the L-rd, and there is none else. I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil. I am the L-rd, that does all these things." (Is. 45:6-7).

G-d Is Incorporeal

Although many places in scripture and Talmud speak of various parts of G-d's body (the Hand of G-d, G-d's wings, etc.) or speak of G-d in anthropomorphic terms (G-d walking in the garden of Eden, G-d laying tefillin, etc.), Judaism firmly maintains that G-d has no body. Any reference to G-d's body is simply a figure of speech, a means of making G-d's actions more comprehensible to beings living in a material world. Much of Rambam's Guide for the Perplexed is devoted to explaining each of these anthropomorphic references and proving that they should be understood figuratively. We are forbidden to represent G-d in a physical form. That is considered idolatry. The sin of the Golden Calf incident was not that the people chose another deity, but that they tried to represent G-d in a physical form.

G-d Has No Gender

This followed directly from the fact that G-d has no physical form. As one rabbi explained it to me, G-d has no body, no genitalia, therefore the very idea that G-d is male or female is patently absurd. We refer to G-d using masculine terms simply for convenience's sake, because Hebrew has no neutral gender; G-d is no more male than a table is. Although we usually speak of G-d in masculine terms, there are times when we refer to G-d using feminine terms. The Shechinah, the manifestation of G-d's presence that fills the universe, is conceived of in feminine terms, and the word Shechinah is a feminine word. G-d is Omnipresent

G-d Is Omnipresent

G-d is in all places at all times. He fills the universe and exceeds its scope. He is always near for us to call upon in need, and He sees all that we do. Closely tied in with this idea is the fact that G-d is universal. He is not just the G-d of the Jews; He is the G-d of all nations.

G-d Is Omnipotent

G-d can do anything. It is said that the only thing that is beyond His power is the fear of Him; that is, we have free will, and He cannot compel us to do His will. This belief in G-d's omnipotence has been sorely tested during the many persecutions of Jews, but we have always maintained that G-d has a reason for allowing these things, even if we in our limited perception and understanding cannot see the reason.

G-d Is Omniscient

G-d knows all things, past, present and future. He knows our thoughts.

G-d Is Eternal

G-d transcends time. He has no beginning and no end. He will always be there to fulfill his promises. When Moses asked for G-d's name, He replied, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh." That phrase is generally translated as, "I am that I am," but the word "ehyeh" can be present or future tense, meaning "I am what I will be" or "I will be what I will be." The ambiguity of the phrase is often interpreted as a reference to G-d's eternal nature.

click the links for more information on G-d. I will be back on the Torah and the Jewish people.

The Nature of G-d
The Names of G-d
G-d and Us (Chabad articles)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
yeah have you heard of the rabbinic curse on anyone who counts the dates which prophesy about the messiah in daniel ch9? if so what are your thoughts?

edit on 18-1-2011 by toddy3174 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It will take me a while to find out more information for the Book of Daniel and also sort out the current situation in Israel.

What is the Torah? (Chabad Articles)
Torah

• Torah in the narrowest sense refers to the first five books of the Bible • In a broader sense, Torah includes all Jewish law and tradition • Torah was given to Moses in written form with oral commentary • The oral component is now written in the Talmud • There are additional important writings

Who or what makes a Jew?

• In the Bible, Jews were called Hebrews or Children of Israel • The terms "Jew" and "Judaism" come from the tribe or kingdom of Judah • "Jew" now refers to all physical and spiritual descendants of Jacob • A person can be Jewish by birth or by conversion • Traditionally, Jewish status passes through the mother, not the father

I'm not Jewish by birth I converted to Judaism and I'm a modern Orthodox Jew.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I have a vid I want to post about the Messiah amazingdiscoveries.tv... either this info is true or false ..If it is false it should not be hard to show,if true it is something to consider .....peace

the prophecy of the Messiah starts at the 20 min. mark....

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

Thanks for posting the video. Being Jewish I believe in the Messiah concept but I don't Jesus is the Messiah.
Moshiach 101
Messiah
^^^ The above links are more moderate in explaining the Messiah concept in Judaism. ^^^
Jews for Judaism
Messiah Truth
^^^ Pro Jewish web sites on the differences between Jewish law and Christian law.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

"Pro Jewish web sites on the differences between Jewish law and Christian law." Christian law is the 10 commandants .Don't confuse religious dogma with the law of God ...God, the same yesterday, today, and always.. .peace

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I would also like to share this link with anyone interested in the conspiracy of Jesus and that time period.
Simon, Jesus and the Mystery
In my view this link proves my views on a Messiah cult or a group of Jews who wanted to bring forth the Messiah.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

There are more then the Ten Commandments. If you read the OT in the Christian Bibles and the Jewish Talmud then you will see vast differences of writing.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

So do you sacrifice animals that are in Leviticus ? ...peace

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

There are Jews today that sacrifice animals but is only for holidays. I don't sacrifice animals. In the view of Judaism G-d wants us to pray for forgiveness.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I thought that the sacrifices were for the sins of the people ..and that the blood was applied on mercy seat once a year .Is this a concept of something ? Is the Messiah a concept or is he a Savior ? Is there a need to build the Temple ?...peace

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Through out the Torah the Prophets spoke highly on prayer for forgiveness of sin. There certain requirements for sacrificing animals. Humans are not sacrificed. The Messiah concept in Judaism is not a savior concept. But in Christianity the Messiah concept is linked to a savior. I believe Islam also believes in the similar of the Jewish and Christian Messiah concept but they don't believe Jesus as a savior. They do believe in the Second Coming of Jesus in Islam.

The HUMAN Jewish Messiah will accomplish the following prophecies - ALL of them with no "second coming"' * The Sanhedrin will be re-established (Isaiah 1:26) * Once he is King, leaders of other nations will look to him for guidance. (Isaiah 2:4) * The whole world will worship the One God of Israel (Isaiah 2:17) * He will be descended from King David (Isaiah 11:1) via King Solomon (1 Chron. 22:8-10) * The Moshiach will be a man of this world, an observant Jew with "fear of God" (Isaiah 11:2) *****In other words - this must all be accomplished in a human lifetime***** * Evil and tyranny will not be able to stand before his leadership (Isaiah 11:4) * Knowledge of God will fill the world (Isaiah 11:9) * He will include and attract people from all cultures and nations (Isaiah 11:10) * All Israelites will be returned to their homeland (Isaiah 11:12) * Death will be swallowed up forever (Isaiah 25:8) * There will be no more hunger or illness, and death will cease (Isaiah 25:8) * All of the dead will rise again (Isaiah 26:19) * The Jewish people will experience eternal joy and gladness (Isaiah 51:11) * He will be a messenger of peace (Isaiah 52:7) * Nations will end up recognizing the wrongs they did to Israel (Isaiah 52:13-53:5) * The peoples of the world will turn to the Jews for spiritual guidance (Zechariah 8:23) * The ruined cities of Israel will be restored (Ezekiel 16:55) * Weapons of war will be destroyed (Ezekiel 39:9) * The Temple will be rebuilt (Ezekiel 40) resuming many of the suspended mitzvot * He will then perfect the entire world to serve God together (Zephaniah 3:9) * Jews will know the Torah without Study (Jeremiah 31:33) * He will give you all the desires of your heart (Psalms 37:4) * He will take the barren land and make it abundant and fruitful (Isaiah 51:3, Amos 9:13-15, Ezekiel 36:29-30, Isaiah 11:6-9).

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Ok, a few questions:

What theory do you follow with regard to the formation of the Hebrew scriptures?

Do you believe in a literal Exodus account?

How much of your scriptures do you take literally and how much is figurative? What is your guide for these determinations?

Why do you perform genital mutilation?

Why is your deity so revolted by the menstrual cycle?

Why the dietary restrictions?

...I think I'll cut the list off there for now, don't want to swamp you all at once.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Daniel 9

Daniel Prays for His People

9:1 In the first year of Darius1 son of Ahasuerus,2 who was of Median descent and who had been3 appointed king over the Babylonian4 empire – 9:2 in the first year of his reign5 I, Daniel, came to understand from the sacred books6 that, according to the word of the LORD7 disclosed to the prophet Jeremiah, the years for the fulfilling of the desolation of Jerusalem8 were seventy in number. 9:3 So I turned my attention9 to the Lord God10 to implore him by prayer and requests, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes.11 9:4 I prayed to the LORD my God, confessing in this way:

You have not answered my first post ? are you allowed to discuss Daniels prophesy ? ...peace

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I have some questions for you to answer OP! I would use a "Q" for my questions.

Q: you mention you were not Jewish by birth. What made you chose to convert to Judaism?

Q: What was your religious background before becoming a Jew?

Q: What did you do in order to become a Jew and how did it go for you?

Q: Did your views on the world, people, and yourself change upon becoming a Jew?

Q: Why do you mention you believe in Evolution? Isn't that consider more of an Atheist stand point?

Q: Do you only have to marry another Jew?

Q: Do you have to raise your children to be Jewish?

Q: How do you dress now?

Q: Did you become a Freemason before you became a Jew?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I have an answer for you and others interested in Jewish views on the Book of Daniel. sorry for using such a long source.
Daniel 9:25 translation

In our study of the different translations we will compare the Hebrew text with |that of the King James Version of the Bible. It contains the grossest errors, which are, in |whole or in part, duplicated by other Christian versions of the Bible. First, the King James Version puts a definite article before "Messiah the Prince" (9:25). |The original Hebrew text does not read "the Messiah the Prince," but, having no article, |it is to be rendered "a mashiach ["anointed one," "messiah"], a prince," i.e., Cyrus |(Isaiah 45:1, 13; Ezra 1:1-2). The word mashiach is nowhere used in the Jewish Scriptures as a proper name, but as a |title of authority of a king or a high priest. Therefore, a correct rendering of the original |Hebrew should be: "an anointed one, a prince." Second, the King James Version disregards the Hebrew punctuation. The punctuation |mark 'atnach functions as the main pause within a sentence. The 'atnach is the appropriate |equivalent of the semicolon in the modern system of punctuation. It thus has the effect of |separating the seven weeks from the sixty-two weeks: ". . . until an anointed one, a |prince, shall be seven weeks; then for sixty-two weeks it shall be built again . . ." (9:25). By creating a sixty-nine week period, which is not divided into two separate periods of |seven weeks and sixty-two weeks respectively, Christians reach an incorrect conclusion, |i.e., that the Messiah will come 483 years after the destruction of the First Temple. Some Christians claim that there is something called a "prophetic year" of 360 days, thus |shortening the interval between the beginning of the 483 years which they claim began in |444 B.C.E., and the date of the crucifixion of Jesus. They do this in order to make the |dates coincide, but the claim of a "prophetic year" is without any scriptural foundation. Third, the King James Version omits the definite article in Daniel 9:26, which should |read: "And after the threescore and two weeks. . . ." By treating the sixty-two weeks as a |distinct period, this verse, in the original Hebrew, shows that the sixty-two weeks |mentioned in verse 25 are correctly separated from the seven weeks by the 'atnach. |Hence, two anointed ones are spoken of in this chapter, one of whom comes after seven |weeks (Cyrus), and the other after a further period of sixty-two weeks (Alexander |Yannai). Fourth, the words v'ayn lo (9:26) are incorrectly translated by the King James Version as |"but not for himself." They should be translated as "he has nothing" or "he shall have |nothing." There are Christian commentators who maintain this phrase has both meanings, |but that claim cannot be supported grammatically.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join