It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh Man! Concern for loved one who has bought into THE LIE...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
A close family member went for a little holiday to Alabama this past November. We spoke by phone when he was on the shore of the Gulf. He said the water was pristine, that I would not believe the clean up effort going on before his eyes, that BP were pulling out all the stops and boy what an incredible effort on their part. He said the sea food tasted better than ever and that the locals were happy and business was thriving.
Here's my dilemma - I don't believe it. Oh, I'm sure that he saw all the stuff he claimed but I believe it's all cosmetic; that the oil on the beaches has been covered by sand hauled in from wherever, that the oil and dispersant in the water has sunk to the sea bed and and that the shrimp etc were trucked in from somewhere. I followed the Deep Water Horizon nightmare pretty much from the get go and am convinced that it's not over. Just a feeling...(not least when you know the deal with CorExit...!)
Regardless of what I've told him about the disaster, my loved one has bought into 'The Lie'. He subscribes, literally and figuratively to tptb - voted for GW both times and is a big fan of Fox news. Swallows it all hook line and sinker.
I know we all have to go on our own journeys in this life but I worry for his and the extended family members health and well being because I love them.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Well, if that's what he's telling you, then that's what he's seeing, or else he's not 'buying into the lie,' he's making up a lie. Either way, get off your arse and go there yourself and have a look around.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This is one of those you are damned if you do and damned if you don't situations.

Misinformed people are the hardest people to sway. Studies have shown that when they are presented with FACTS that go against their beliefs that it only makes their previous beliefs even stronger.

Here is a thread I posted a while back that explains why this is... It is called backfire and explains why some people have such thick skulls.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There is really only two options.

1. Talk to them and present them with facts to try to inform them of the pitfalls in their beliefs and see what happens.
2. Do nothing
edit on 18-1-2011 by TV_Nation because: grammar

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Well I live in New Orleans and we still have oil in the marshes etc....and I wouldn't eat seafood from here if you paid me. A friend of mine caught some crabs and there was oil in the body cavities! I saw it with my own eyes.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by robinmorningstar

Sadly am not able to go there at present as live in the UK with children to look after. HOWEVER , I'm "off my arse" in other ways like compiling info from marine biologists and other scientist to send to him. Along with Nalco's (the maker and seller of CorExit) report of the dispersants ingredients and effects. Best I can do right now - but at least it's something.
Thanks for your kind words

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
Well I live in New Orleans and we still have oil in the marshes etc....and I wouldn't eat seafood from here if you paid me. A friend of mine caught some crabs and there was oil in the body cavities! I saw it with my own eyes.

And yet I'll bet those crabs are still being shipped all over the place to be consumed by people unaware of their origination. I ordered some crabs from the eastern shore of Maryland back in October and the guy swore up and down that the crabs came from the Chesapeake Bay. When they got here, my wife and I tried to eat one each (out of a 2.5 dozen) but only took a bite and noticed the taste and smell was nothing like and crabs we had ever had before. I grew up in Maryland, and if you are what you eat, I am 90 percent crab. So I've had a LOT of crabs to eat. We wound up throwing them all out a ways from the house. Seriously, three days later those crabs were still there. Now we have a VERY healthy population of raccoons and possums around here, that are basically garbage disposal units on legs and even THEY wouldn't eat those crabs.

I called the guy I bought then from and he gave me a credit, but I'm thinking maybe I should see if they sell Alaskan king crab. I'm afraid my steamed blue crab eating days just might be over with. You have NO idea how much it breaks my heart to think that....

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Dude, this is something we all have to go through in some way, shape or form. Whether it`s a spouse, a brother, or a good friend or co-worker, we all have people close to us who haven`t woke up yet. And it`s absolutely true that you can back them even further into their beliefs by confronting them, especially if you do so in a panicky way as if you care dearly about their life. Noone wants to hear that their life is in danger, and they will be unlikely to believe it. After all, the paper came this morning, the garbage was picked up this week, they were able to drive thru at mcdonalds and watch tivo`d episodes of whatever the hell people watch these days... so to them, nothing`s changed, so why the cause for alarm? I myself have been thinking about the problem for quite some time. I think the best approach is to speak calmly and matter of factly. You have to use reverse psychology and hint around it for a while, but don`t ever tell everything but just say things like, "its very interesting what`s going on over here in this such and such part of the world...you probably wouldn`t be interested, besides I don`t want you to have to worry about these worldly issues...you should just enjoy your time with your family while you can" k you get the idea, and eventually they will want to know, at which time you "reluctantly" divulge a FEW things. Remember, a paradigm shift happens ion stages of understanding. A good place to start is something easily proveable but that noone talks about. Like the fact that we have been ruled over by the same

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

could pride have distorted his thoughts.. some people only believe what they want to believe...

the other day i was at a bus stop(uk) and there was this old lady stood there, i asked if she was waiting for the bus to towen and she said yes. a moment later she made a comment about the weather, i tried bbiting my lip but couldn't help myslef, i said to her about it being messed up and did she want to know why, she said ok then.

i proceeded to say about the gulf stream being out of whack and that the gulf oil disaster was done intentionally, she replied, i know!! i almost choked on my tongue.lol. apparently she's got family over there and they know whats going on.. which is amazing, its just a shame people aren't trying to join the dots more!!

by the time i had finished ,she had food for thought though

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
...by the same bloodlines for so long. That usually will make people think. And once you cover all that material and they realize we haven`t been voting for our choice but their choices... the next place to go would be the federal reserve and how they supposedly own all of us, with the proof on our birth certificate. You can show them all the stuff on the dollar bill, and just explain some basic facts like how our debt is more than the existing money in the world and it can never be paid off, and how the revolutionary war was really just Britain letting us believe we won so we would shut up and be happy and keep paying them off. Well you`re in the UK, but you get the idea... I don`t know if your family member lives in the u.s. or went vacationing to Alabama from another country, but either way he`s in america now and if tshtf he could be stuck here for a while, so before he comes to ats to be fitted for his tinfoil hat, it might be prudent to brush up on u.s. conspiracies. But seriously, I do wish you luck... Seeing a loved one be led like a sheep to the slaughter can be very frustrating :/ but like a little chickie, they gotta poke through the shell and escape alll on their own, as nature intended ...iof you try to cheat and help too much, you are really just cheating yourself and them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Excellant council Doctor J. Thank you. He lives in Nashville and, as a councillor himself, I reckon would smell reverse psychology..however, the gentle approach is certainly the way. I didn't say anything about what I believe is REALLY going on when he told me he was there. Just asked questions.
Ya know, there's so much weird s**t going down in the natural world right now; from the galaxy to the earths core and thus many flags to wave and causes to champion. Where do you begin? We just gotta get on and live our lives. He chose BP. Sure hope the sea food was good!

WHOS READY - thanks to you too for your words. It can be a good thing to enlighten someone when you know the person wants to listen and you do it right.

Yeah - live and let live.

Blessings you guys -

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

Hello my fellow Brit , why not tell him to watch the bp oil spill show that Jessie Ventura has brought out .
In it he goes to the location and speaks with a bp spokesman , at one stage the spokesman is lost for words because Jessie gets to the nitty gritty . The show also confirms what you say about it dispersing to the bottom so it LOOKS clean from the surface

Good luck mate

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Great idea! I saw the piece. The guy fumbling for a response speaks volumes, (if you get me) - It just might do the trick...

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 5senses

No problem bud , I know what its like , some people dont wana believe but after a while it becomes impossible to deny lol . It happened to me when i first started looking in to 911

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGhostViking

Yeah - and aint THAT one a can of worms...

Well, as my father says, "All we can do is... all we can do" !

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well, you say it's a LIE, yet you have been nowhere near there (I take it), so you are relying on third party information that this is a lie. Perhaps you trust that information. That's fine. But I feel exactly the same way about people who believe in Chemtrails, for example. That idea is so completely insane and idiotic that I wonder how the people who believe it can function as human beings. I would say the same thing about 9/11 truthers, people who believe Jesus is their Savior, people who believe Reptilian gods are going to eat their souls, or dozens of other quack theories out there and regular features on ATS.

Your loved one has personally seen a sub-set of information relating to your issue and used inductive reasoning to assume all is fine. You've done pretty much the same thing. Both of you are reacting according to your own world view, but it is you who is acting like you want to convert your loved one to your way of thinking.

I have a relative like that, too. He wants to convert me to Christianity. he believes in his heart of hearts that I will go to Hell if I do not accept Jesus Christ as my personal Savior. I mean, he GRIEVES over this, he feels so strongly.

I think he's bonkers myself.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
hmm any one you didnt offend in your post ?

like mr t Bad Attitude

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

top topics

join