It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The danger of blaming one's words for another's actions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

I think you don't give people enough credit for being able to make up their own minds.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge
reply to post by ANOK

I think you don't give people enough credit for being able to make up their own minds

Have you ever wrestled when buying a product to decide between two competing brands?

Chances are you made your choice at a subconscious level based on that product's advertising. (the sibling of persuasion and distant cousin to propaganda) If that type of influence wasn't real, effective or measurable then corporations wouldn't spend billions of dollars promoting their brands. (and I'd be out of work)

Same goes for political rhetoric. (Campaign speeches; Radio, TV. Print ads, etc.)
edit on 18-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Well,I guess I live with the consequences of my behavior,and if those consequences were unpleasant,I'd strive not to make that choice again.

I wouldn't go crying to Mom and say,"He made me do it!"

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Well,I guess I live with the consequences of my behavior,and if those consequences were unpleasant,I'd strive not to make that choice again.

I wouldn't go crying to Mom and say,"He made me do it!"

I assume the purpose of this thread was in direct reference to the AZ massacre and the ensuing finger posting.

There are MANY things we don't know or may never know, among them:
Were the shootings political?
Was the shooter incited by anyone?
Does the shooter have remorse?
Is the shooter mentally ill / delusional / aware of his actions?

I agree with you about personal accountability but also feel actions/words (even by others) have potential undesired consequences.
edit on 18-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

The question should be "Who pulled the trigger?"

If he was so mentally unstable and had an accomplice who forced him to do it,they are guilty too.

What's so hard to understand?

I mean,the really crazy can hear voices coming from an avacado!
edit on 18-1-2011 by On the Edge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Endure
I mean imagine I had a radio or TV show and said "I really hate ice cream, and Baskin Robbins is the worst of them all." Then some nut job blows up a Baskin and Robbins. I get prosecuted and go to jail. What kind of country are we headed for if people have to be afraid to express an opinion on ice cream? Seems silly to be sure, but follow the path and this is where we end up, complete silence.

Apples to oranges. I sense you have no realistic grasp for proportion. It is one thing to express a negative opinion about ice cream and a particular brand. It is quite another thing to rail against them day in and day out for years, libeling them, besmirching their good reputation, comparing them to the likes of despised figures such as Hitler or Stalin and passing the same hate-filled contempt along to everyone who likes and supports them. That is just irresponsible and so if some loose wingnut takes you too seriously transforming your vitriolic rhetoric into violent action then yes, you should be held to account.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The question should be "Who pulled the trigger?"

Meanwhile, poor frustrated musician and film critic Charles Manson still sits in jail.

I find it highly ironic that anyone would take the time to write or speak about the complete lack of power in words.
If the thesis is correct, does not stating so destroy it?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia
I find it highly ironic that anyone would take the time to write or speak about the complete lack of power in words.

Quoted for Agreement.

Wow that is profound and oh so very true. Brilliant observation.

Now I am going to start thinking about infinity and create that "hall of mirrors effect" in my bathroom and will probably get brain freeze.

Sometimes the raw and pure unadulterated truth is hard to accept since it goes against our human nature to constantly make order out of chaos. Yet when it is staring right at ya. Ouch. Not sure if this makes sense.
edit on 20-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join