It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The danger of blaming one's words for another's actions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I can't help but see in the media that there are still attempts to hold Glenn Beck, Rush, Sarah Palin etc. accountable for the murders in Tucson. The danger here is if we follow this path to the end and hold everyone who speaks accountable for any actions another may take, who would dare speak ever again?

I mean imagine I had a radio or TV show and said "I really hate ice cream, and Baskin Robbins is the worst of them all." Then some nut job blows up a Baskin and Robbins. I get prosecuted and go to jail. What kind of country are we headed for if people have to be afraid to express an opinion on ice cream? Seems silly to be sure, but follow the path and this is where we end up, complete silence.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
You obviously must be totally ignorant to how people look upto idols.

People do literally listen to what people say and take it as red, and who knows what that info is going to bring ut in all sorts of people.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
You obviously must be totally ignorant to how people look upto idols.

People do literally listen to what people say and take it as red, and who knows what that info is going to bring ut in all sorts of people.

I am sorry if I seem ignorant to you. But I have to ask you, do you propose we abolish free speech then in favor of approved speech?
edit on 18-1-2011 by Endure because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Congratulations. Your thread title has defined my problem with organized religion.

You simply cannot deny that the "words" in the Bible have caused the "actions" of others, can you?

Dangerous indeed.

edit on 18-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
Congratulations. Your thread title has defined my problem with organized religion.

You simply cannot deny that the "words" in the Bible have caused the "actions" of others, can you?

Dangerous indeed.

So do you blame the bible, or the person's actions?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Endure

Dangerous indeed.

That is a "chicken or the egg argument." But my answer is BOTH!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Is it hot in here, or am I crazy?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f4308e6be4a3.jpg[/atsimg]

You have to remember that the only reason we have the Dr. Phil show is because Oprah said she was never going to eat beef again. The entire situation really seems silly to me but just as silly is the fact that millions of viewers heard Oprah say that and decide they would boycott beef as well, just because she said so.

I do not feel Oprah should be subect to laws over what she said and I find it hard to speak out against anyone opining on food but...words do have power and I am all for the people who wield that power maybe making a conscious decision to use more responsible words.

I cannot help but believe it is possible to explain why one might make a good governor, representative, president, etc. without using gun metaphors. In fact, the fewer metaphors in politics the better. How about facts and declaritive statements from now on?
Should words be regulated? No. Should people who have an audience act like the responsible adults they proclaim to be? Would be nice.
edit on 18-1-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Endure

No, but glenn beck is a hypocrite who knows the power of tv.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Wow!

I was looking for a picture of Hitler, but yours is more relevant. Nice.

This might be the shortest ATS thread ever, Nah.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

To be honest, I had a really tough time deciding which of the two would make a better representation of words sometimes having very evil consequences - Manson, or Oprah. Hitler slipped my mind altogether,

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Ok so "the devil made me do it" is now somehow valid?? I fear for our future because it seems to me that personal accountability is a long lost concept.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Dangerous indeed.

That is a "chicken or the egg argument." But my answer is BOTH!

Ok so who gets to decide what can be said? And what can be written?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Is it enough to just ask you to be responsible and not go around urinating on every person you come in contact with or is that something that NEEDS to be actively enforced in order for you to not do it?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Endure

With respect, I've countered (as others) the premise of your OP.

It would seem you keep moving the goal posts.

Kindly stick to YOUR OWN topic and back your claim.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Endure

For the sake of on topic clarification and to absolve myself of any liability, either internally or externally imposed, I at least want to make one thing very clear.

I do like ice cream.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

Is it enough to just ask you to be responsible and not go around urinating on every person you come in contact with or is that something that NEEDS to be actively enforced in order for you to not do it?

Wow, I didn't expect to get attacked like this. I guess that is all anyone can do anymore though, or so it appears. Best of luck to us all.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Endure

Wow, I didn't expect to get attacked like this. I guess that is all anyone can do anymore though, or so it appears. Best of luck to us all.

It's because you mentioned the evil three in your op. Some people are hell bent on hating them so much they would rather give up their freedom of speech than let those three to continue vibrating their vocal chords on "public airways". Weak people and mentally disturbed people and just plain children idolize tv personalities not sane regular folks as we can form a logical opinion on what we see, some people need to be guided through their whole life and have their hand held the whole time. Must be some kind of comfort zone thing. I myself cannot stand Conan Obrien I don't know why I just don't care for the guy so I ignore his existence works pretty good for me. It's pretty sad actually when people have to resort to finger pointing when it has nothing to do with the situation at hand.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
reply to post by Endure

It's because you mentioned the evil three in your op. Some people are hell bent on hating them so much they would rather give up their freedom of speech than let those three to continue vibrating their vocal chords on "public airways". Weak people and mentally disturbed people and just plain children idolize tv personalities not sane regular folks as we can form a logical opinion on what we see, some people need to be guided through their whole life and have their hand held the whole time. Must be some kind of comfort zone thing. I myself cannot stand Conan Obrien I don't know why I just don't care for the guy so I ignore his existence works pretty good for me. It's pretty sad actually when people have to resort to finger pointing when it has nothing to do with the situation at hand.

That is what has me so down, that just opening your mouth these days means someone is going to attack you for it. I just worry about where it leads, in no way did I express anything that says I am in favor of these people, just in favor of their right to speak. And as importantly, in favor of people being responsible for their own actions.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I blame Oprah.

Makes about as much sense as blaming Palin or Ghandi for some dope CHOOSING to do evil things. In the end, its all a personal choice. Im sick of religion being used as an excuse for so much.. the damned people CHOOSE to do things they do regardless of what they want to blame it on to escape full personal responsibility for their actions.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
'Free speech', as in freedom itself, does not mean you can literally do, or say, what you want without first considering the effect of it on others.

People who can't consider others should not be allowed 'freedom' imo, because they take away others right to their freedom when you fail to consider your actions on them.

Putting people on pedestals, such as Opera et al., is dangerous because they hold too much power with their opinions. In a way it robs the people who follow them of their own desires.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join