It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Swastika evil just because a tyrant used it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Terms777

If I may...

The symbol itself is not evil. But the emotional effect it can have upon people, due to its association with a very dark period of human history does certainly possess the potential for evil.

In modern western culture the people who choose to identify with this symbol often do so with nefarious purpose and a desire to associate themselves with controversial or hate filled connotations.

I'm afraid this five thousand year old symbol, for the time being, is guilty by association. There is no right or wrong involved in it, just as there is no right or wrong in the symbol. It is just the way it is.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Nope - it's still a symbol that protects from evil.
The thing is when evil people uses it for evil causes - they are gonna pay.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by archasama

Yea but you cant use it...even if it's turned to the left or your a nazi! Even though buddhist munks use it. They must be racists!!! Does the symbol that is on this make it evil even though it is turned to the left!? en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 18-1-2011 by Terms777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

You're really not reading the posts you reply to, are you?

Incidentally, the symbol is older than "culture." They find it on cave walls. Some theories point toward it being associated with the position of the big dipper during the four seasons, with the north star as its center point.

modernconstellations.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I'm alittle bit tippsy! So please excuse any errors!

Jesus drank...So it's ok if I do! lol

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I still wish someone would answer my question on Theosophy Symbol. Is it to evil to put on my face book cause it has the swastica turned to the left/

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I think it is only in the western culture that the swastika is considered evil. I have been to buddhist temples and shrines in Thailand and Singapore which still use the symbol because it is a part of their religion. It has a completely different meaning to them than it does to me.

When I first saw one at a shrine, I didn't know what to think. I thought maybe I had come to some weird nazi shrine and not a buddhist shrine by mistake. It wasn't until somebody explained it to me that I understood.

A symbol is just that. A recognizable object that people associate with meaning. Just look at Christians. They use an ancient Roman torture and execution device for their symbol. But that isn't what it means to them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join