It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS Halsey Sailor missing at Sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

USS Halsey Sailor missing at Sea

www.kusi.com

GULF OF OMAN - U.S. and British units are searching for a Sailor from USS Halsey (DDG-97) who went missing while the ship was conducting operations in the Gulf of Oman Tuesday.

The Sailor did not report to watch and after a search of the ship, man overboard was called away.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I do sincerely hope that this sailor is ok and has managed, if they indeed fell overboard, to find a safe harbor of some variety. My understanding is that Navy folks are supposed to be good swimmers, so hopefully she made it to shore.

This is apparently part of the USS Abraham Lincoln's carrier fleet.

www.kusi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I know people that joined the Navy and could barely swim enough to pass the test. There is no requirement that they be "good" swimmers. Also, a fall from a large ship would probably be fatal anyway.

What makes you think it is a female?
edit on 18-1-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
As a veteran of the Navy I can tell you that many recruits are barely able to swim and go through remedial training at boot camp almost daily just so they can barely pass the swim qualification. While I was on the air side of the Navy doing mostly "I" level P-3 maintenance and never went to a boat I can tell you that it is almost uncommon for someone not to die or go missing during a carrier deployment. I hate to say it but if this sailor went overboard and it wasn't noticed immediately then the chances of finding him/her are extremely slim.
edit on 18-1-2011 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I sincerely hope the sailor is found safe and well.

My thoughts go out to family and friends.

I am grateful for the efforts of the allied armed forces, and wish them all well, especially US and UK personnel.

I hope things turn out OK.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Mainly because CNN kept saying it was a female sailor.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
That has got to suck for that poor girl and her family. Odds are though you fall out of the boat in the middle of the ocean especially with no safety devices on your shark bait. I doubt they find the chick. I sure don't think she is just going AWOL.
edit on 18-1-2011 by thethingreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
reply to post by getreadyalready

Mainly because CNN kept saying it was a female sailor.

OK, thanks. It didn't say that in the linked article.

Personally, I think it is dangerous for females to be deployed at sea with a bunch of men. I hope this isn't a case of foul play.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I think there might be more than meets the eye here but i'm sure it will be covered up (I hope that is not the case though and the woman is found safe and sound)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
As a veteran of the Navy I can tell you that many recruits are barely able to swim and go through remedial training at boot camp almost daily just so they can barely pass the swim qualification. While I was on the air side of the Navy doing mostly "I" level P-3 maintenance and never went to a boat I can tell you that it is almost uncommon for someone not to die or go missing during a carrier deployment. I hate to say it but if this sailor went overboard and it wasn't noticed immediately then the chances of finding him/her are extremely slim.
edit on 18-1-2011 by jrod because: (no reason given)

I was in the Navy sub service, and I can barely swim. Give me fins on my feet, and it's a whole different ballgame. It was all I could do barefooted to pass my swim quals.

He or she is dead.

Halsey is a jinxed ship: I am old-school enough to call her that.

Look up her history under DDG-97, guided missile destroyer. She had a fire, a so-called suicide, and was yet operationally certified a year sooner than any other DDG in her class, despite other problems.

Thank God for the rigors of Hyman Rickover.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
It's very unfortunate, but she's probably long dead by now. It sounds like she was gone long before they discovered her missing.

Every deployment i ever went on, we lost at least one Sailor overboard. None ever survived or were even found. When a ship is steaming at 15 knots (especially at night) and someone falls overboard unnoticed, they get left behind very quickly.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I know people that joined the Navy and could barely swim enough to pass the test. There is no requirement that they be "good" swimmers. Also, a fall from a large ship would probably be fatal anyway.

Well that can definitely be ruled out, as the USS Halsey is a destroyer. Not to big of a ship to cause fatality.
edit on 19-1-2011 by BiGGz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Just an update. The sailor that went missing from the USS Halsey in the Gulf of Oman has been recovered.

UPDATED: Panama City sailor dies in Gulf of Oman

Military officials reported 26-year-old Navy Petty Officer Dominique Cruz did not report to her watch duty Tuesday and, after a search of the ship, a “man overboard” was called by the ship’s officials to search for Cruz.

Her body was found during search and rescue operations Wednesday in the Gulf of Oman. Her identity was released Friday morning after family had been notified.

It did not say what she may have been doing, or how she fell. That should come out later. The incident is under investigation, and after that is completed we should know more. Her remains were recovered on Jan. 19 a day after she was reported missing and the man overboard was called. I know from personal experience that it can be quite dangerous on the weather deck after dark or during operations. If one has no business being out there like watch or a specific task related to one's job, it is usually discouraged. Sad story, and hopefully, we will learn more about what happened in the future.

new topics

top topics

join