It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rounding up people at a grocerie store

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11PB11
I know they couldn't do that in America.... I wouldn't think they could in Canada........ that's weird..

They can't do that in America? Think again. It's been done.

Source

Court was ready to start and everyone was present, except the pool of jurors.

Roughly 200 people had been notified to appear, but just 20 showed up, newspaper accounts say. It seemed Bridges' only choice was to call off court. Instead, he ordered Cleveland County deputies to round up 55 potential jurors in an hour. They, in turn, went on a shopping spree of their own at a Shelby Wal-Mart.

Anyone who happened to be at the store was asked two questions, local lawyers remember: "Are you a Cleveland County resident? Have you been convicted of a felony?" If the answers were yes and no, people were brought in involuntarily.

Bridges seated his jurors. Court carried on. Court watchers say there hasn't been much problem in recent years getting jurors to appear in Cleveland County.

Always remember your right to remain silent.

Edit: You can also indicate that you are well aware of Jury Nullification and would LOVE to serve. You'll be left alone.

edit on 18-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

Ok it doesn't say it's illegal but there is no mention of being legal either. Read "Jury Duty Overview"

Jury Duty Overview
edit on 18-1-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Now that I think about it, this was common practice in the Wild West days! Nobody wanted to serve on a jury, but it was mandatory. Grand Juries are still called together rather quickly. I guess the disturbing part is the busload of cops, but jury duty has always been mandatory, they just usually give a little better notice before just rounding up a group of people!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Hmmm is it legal ? I guess the jury is out on that one ! I think a equally important question here is what does the Court Case involve , that's alot of effort and man power .Who and what is involved in this court case ?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

About legality... It's a grey area from what I can see. I guess it's something we'll have to clear up with our elected officials. I just hope they're not just trying to set some kind of precedence.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
This is something that I found was really bizarre can anybody tell me if this is legal?
I live in Canada, Ontario, A friend of mine was waiting in line at a groceries store, today on Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 around 1pm, a bus pulls up in front of the store cops start coming out of the bus and collecting people on the spot for Jury duty. People were protesting saying "we on our lunch break from work" or "why don't you go get people on welfare instead" The cops then said "If you do not cooperate you will be put under arrest"
Is it legal to impose Jury duty in such a way. I know that if you get a letter you have to go unless there is a conflict of interest

Jury Duty? Sounds like they rounded up a bunch of people did x to them and then neuralized them.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

I have heard of it being done in the United States. The jury pool was contaminated and there was a statute of limitations in effect so the judge went and had people gathered up off the street so the trial could start before the time limit expired. It is not a normal situation.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I live in Ontario as well and have never heard of this. I have a few buddies that are cops so I gave them a call and a couple of them say that it is possible depending on the judge and how urgent the case is. If it was to happen they would of been court officers not police officers (most likely) from what my one friend says.
Welcome to the free world!!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Now that I think about it, this was common practice in the Wild West days! Nobody wanted to serve on a jury, but it was mandatory. Grand Juries are still called together rather quickly. I guess the disturbing part is the busload of cops, but jury duty has always been mandatory, they just usually give a little better notice before just rounding up a group of people!

Interestingly enough, I've never been called for jury duty. I would welcome it but would be disqualified upon answering the questions posed to me.

One mention of jury nullification and I'd be on my way.

Grand Juries are a completely different topic but one that is vitally important to restoration of our Republic. I would LOVE to be seated on a Grand Jury. I don't think it will happen for the reasons I mentioned previously regarding sitting on a trial jury.

TPTB despise an informed populace. I am well informed so would be considered a threat to their monopolized court system.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Same here I would love to sit on a jury..........I refuse to convict for a victimless crime so it wont happen

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R This is something that I found was really bizarre can anybody tell me if this is legal? I live in Canada, Ontario, A friend of mine was waiting in line at a groceries store, today on Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 around 1pm, a bus pulls up in front of the store cops start coming out of the bus and collecting people on the spot for Jury duty. People were protesting saying "we on our lunch break from work" or "why don't you go get people on welfare instead" The cops then said "If you do not cooperate you will be put under arrest" Is it legal to impose Jury duty in such a way. I know that if you get a letter you have to go unless there is a conflict of interest

I can't see how that could be legal. Some people HAVE to be at work, or pick up children. That's a conflict of interest right away. If the trial was that important that they needed people right away, it would have been an important trial, and then whoever qualifies could be stuck away from home for days, or even months. Why wouldn't they just call out at the store "who wants jury duty?" Then they would have willing people and no arrests.

If it's legal in Ontario to do that, that's very strange.

If they get them on the bus and take them to see if they qualify for jury duty, how do they get back to their vehicles? Cab? What if they don't have cab fare? The "system" isn't likely to just hand them cab fare.

I got called for jury duty in Saskatchewan for a murder trial in a town 2 hours away, in December. I got out of it by saying I couldn't drive in the snow, and had farm animals to look after. They decided it wasn't worth coming out and picking me up, so I got out of it. It would have been for 3 weeks, and my pay for jury duty would not have covered my husbands lost wages if he had to be with the animals.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
OP:

Call the police station and ask if this is legal or if it happened.

That's the quickest answer.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
If this event was real, we can rule out it being a "real" jury duty round up. A) That's illegal B) That would be a tainted jury. C) It's completely unnecessary. D) They have normal procedures for this stuff that doesn't include kidnapping people out of their lives.

So if the event happened, it wasn't legit. We can conclude that the "excuse" for it being about jury duty was a cover story. But a cover story for what? Certainly nothing legally sanctioned, so if those people were taken, then they will remain taken, and that means we should be hearing about missing persons reports being filed very soon. As these citizens will soon be missed by either co-workers, friends and families, these reports will begun to pour in.

I would contact a local journalist who has press credentials & contacts inside the Police Department who can investigate this matter and get answers.

Short of that, we won't hear anything more about the matter unless the families begin investigations and contacting the press.
edit on 18-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PLUMBER1

Ok thanks now we're getting somwhere... yeah, no kiding!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

We were talking about it ever dinner and those points came up as well, but due to extenuating sirconstances, apperantly, they are allowed . I know a local reporter, I'll call her up see what we can dig up. Thanks to everybody for helping to shed some light on this.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by XLR8R

Were these employees that were taken, or just anyone that happened to be there at the time?

It sounds to me like a misunderstanding of what occurred. If I had to guess based on what you have written so far, it sounds like a bunch of employees of that business were subpoenaed to court, most likely having to do with a case involving their place of employment, and arrested for failure to appear. A judge can issue a bench warrant for failure to appear, and the police just showed up and arrested everyone at one time rather then going to each persons individual home.

Main reason that I believe this is what happened is because you mentioned that they were read their rights and questioned. They do not read your rights, or question you over jury duty, they do that only when they are affecting an arrest, which to me screams bench warrant. I would guess that your friend got “Jury duty” and “failure to appear in court” mixed up.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Ummmm. What kind of an Emergency could ever be urgent enough that they couldn't just adjure to a later date? Also, Jurors are selected well before a trial in Canada and if you don't show up you could face jail time. I know this because my wife was involved in this at one time. She just told the court officer that interviewed her that she didn't drive and probably couldn't make it since it was not in her home town. they dismissed her from Jury duty.
Also, I'm positive that if anyone tried to take me for any reason against my will that I'd consider it unlawful and defend myself.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

No, not employees. People that happend to be on the premises, customers, I guess.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by theclutch

Exactly. But after talking with people, the older ones do recall some instances that it did happen in the past. But like you said, what can be so important thet the court date can not be pushed back? And we are not in the 40's any more we don't have 12 aunts that can take care of the kids anymore.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Wow, that's bizarre. The reason this thread caught my eye is because months ago I had a really vivid dream of people being rounded up at a grocery story in a similar way. I was coming out of the store, and picked a "lottery token" out of a pile, the token said "You're it" and they told me to go back in and get into a security screening line, and then I wasn't sure what was going to be done with us afterward, but the dream ended with me trying to escape...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join