It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rounding up people at a grocerie store

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is something that I found was really bizarre can anybody tell me if this is legal?
I live in Canada, Ontario, A friend of mine was waiting in line at a groceries store, today on Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 around 1pm, a bus pulls up in front of the store cops start coming out of the bus and collecting people on the spot for Jury duty. People were protesting saying "we on our lunch break from work" or "why don't you go get people on welfare instead" The cops then said "If you do not cooperate you will be put under arrest"
Is it legal to impose Jury duty in such a way. I know that if you get a letter you have to go unless there is a conflict of interest

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
sounds fishy too me

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I know they couldn't do that in America.... I wouldn't think they could in Canada........ that's weird..

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris811

Your telling me. They took 20 people. They were read their rights and asked a few questions. My friend was asked if he knew such and such person. He said yes that he was his attorney and was sent on his way.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Any source to back this up?

I was reading something on a chinese website (translated) and there were comments. some anti-westerners were writing down matter of factly how in the US, if you come within 3 feet of a cop, they must shoot you. heh.

There is alot of bullcrap out there to paint the west in general as some sort of highly evil society where the people in crappy nations like NK and China feel blessed they are not put through the torture of whats going on here...total misinformation.

So ya, gonna need some sources on this beyond "some guy on the internet said.."

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Any source to back this up?

I was reading something on a chinese website (translated) and there were comments. some anti-westerners were writing down matter of factly how in the US, if you come within 3 feet of a cop, they must shoot you. heh.

There is alot of bullcrap out there to paint the west in general as some sort of highly evil society where the people in crappy nations like NK and China feel blessed they are not put through the torture of whats going on here...total misinformation.

So ya, gonna need some sources on this beyond "some guy on the internet said.."
We are fed the same crap in the west too. I mean if they are on the internet in the first place, things can't be all that bad for them right?

As for the OP, something really doesn't sound right about this. I don't think I believe this story until I see an official source.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Any source to back this up?? It just happened 45 minutes ago. In a town of about 5000 called Vankllek Hill. I doubt there will be anything....unfortunatly! By why Vankleek Hill. About 8 kliks north of here is a town called Hawkesbury, about 18000 residents, why not there?
edit on 18-1-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

answers.yahoo.com...

Did you post the same question on yahoo answers? Just curious if there was more than one witness, or if both of these posts are yours.

Nothing else on Google whatsoever. Do you have any local news links?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yes I did. Just in case it didn't pan out here.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Gosh, I wish you had a way to verify this. If it's true though... I don't live in Canada, but I would put money down that what you are describing is illegal as he!! there.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Oh well, I was hoping it was a second source.

Can you find out what trial it was for, or the name of the store where it happened?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

The name of the store was Mike Dean's. What trial it was for I don't know but I'll try to find out.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Ever heard of lynch mob,or the KKK for that matter,pretty weird,sounds unofficial to me.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Sounds very disturbing!

Maybe you ask the shop owner if he has a surveillance tape ?
Or any other shop around, nowadays nearly everywhere there are cams, so why not use them.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

They took 20 people from the store then and there?
Is it possible you can contact your friend, who is an attorney especially since it appears this is related to his case.
And without asking about the trial, ask about this process from a legal point of view.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
You do have kidnapping laws in Canada don't you? Well that`s nothing short of being kidnapped and held without reason of your own. It should be taken as a Government out of control and I would say a court being pushed to unfairness. No matter what the crime of said offender my verdict would be innocent due to how it was handled illegally.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

edit on 18-1-2011 by LadySkadi because:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

That's really strange. Almost surreal as it goes.

The mental picture it created as i imagined a bus full of cops storming into a supermarket, grabbing people and forcing them to comply on the spot in the face of arrest (and charged with what exactly?), was the centuries ago practice of Navy 'press-ganging' men and boys into the Royal Navy.

They used similar tactics. Arrive in numbers..storm the building or establishment using surprise and shock tactics...threaten with punitive measures for non compliance. Very similar tactics.

As to whether it's legal or not, i couldn't say..but i reckon if it's legal, the powers of the police over the people is too great and need to be reigned back in. If it's not legal, i'd be suing whatever police force these cops were attached to if i were one of those people.

We get the letters in the post too...this is the first time i've ever heard of snatch and grab jury selection in my life!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

You and me both budy. And if TPTB are wathching if there is any activity on this, I will for sure, be sending up a red flag because I'm all over the place trying to find some aswers to this.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It sounds like a filming for a practical joke in the "Punk'd" format.

You didn't see Ashton Kutcher standing around did you?

I don't care what nation a person lives in. A policeman doing official business will never arrive to a destination ON A BUS!

edit on 18/1/11 by Intelearthling because: added video

top topics

<<   2 >>

join