It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Street View 05: Gun Control and Jared Loughner

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
When someone can give me an example of an AK-47 walking down the street on its own killing people, I'll listen to the kooks calling for a gun ban. Until then, like the saying goes, "My guns have killed less people than Ted Kennedy's car." That's a fact, as well as the fact that spoons didn't make Rosie O'Donnell fat.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Everything we have ever gotten done has started grassroots. Our country started grassroots, bootstrapped by our fore fathers.

Education, education and education.

We have to make it real, unmagical and unfearful. We have to take the "dare" the "look how cool I am" out of guns and drugs and teenage angst. Regarding the latter, we have to take the drama and glory out of "I suffer"...I am talking about the myspace page riddled with the art, poetry and prose of the truly dark and deranged...attracting cutters, teen alcoholics, drug addicts, runaways and sex at way too young an age teens, all who affirm the psychotic.

Hence, the T & W counselor, the drug counselor, the social services counselors have to be stellar examples of how good life is when you are educated, on track and not afraid. They are the new models for hip, cool and motivated. They know how to own a gun, responsibly drink and do legalized drugs and maintain their mental health even if genetics dealt them a bad hand.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Have never understood the fascination that americans have for firearms.. Personally wouldnt own one. Its fine for people to own / carry but they should be trained in proper handling / safety of firearms along with range training certification to ensure they can properly handle a weapon and understand under what circumstances its necessary to use a firearm along with the consequences of doing so...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

-I can understand owning hunting rifles and some handguns, but guns that can shoot multiple rounds in just a few seconds, why would the general public really need them?

The 2nd Amendment isn't about hunting. It's been well established. Here are some quotes from our founding fathers. It's EXTREMELY clear why the 2nd Amendment is there. It's the only one that guarantees the rest!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
--- Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785.

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.
--- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1796.

We established however some, although not all its [self-government] important principles . The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, in all cases to which they think themselves competent, (as in electing their functionaries executive and legislative, and deciding by a jury of themselves, in all judiciary cases in which any fact is involved,) or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed;
---Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824.

No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
---Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

To model our political system upon speculations of lasting tranquility, is to calculate on the weaker springs of the human character.
---Alexander Hamilton

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Masterjaden

What is that mathematical model.............oh yeah, 1+1=2

When you have no way to protect yourself when someone else has a gun, you lose.

I am still trying to figure out how you get 1+1=3

edit on 18-1-2011 by saltheart foamfollower because: fix plus sign

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by angelwrangler
What's a T & W Community Counselor? Are there any schools with gun clubs in California? Is any of this happening now, or is it a plan you have?

We can be more caring and concerned and manage our rights at the same time.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Street view proves once again how out of touch New Yorkers are with the rest of America. Don't they ever take vacations and get out of the city?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
[color=#66FFFF]To stop gun crime all we have to do is to punish the criminal sufficiently to make him not want to commit crimes with a gun in his possession. [color=#FF0000]And stop wasting time by punishing legal gun owners, gun stores, and gun manufacturers.

I propose that this be done with the death penalty being mandated when you are found guilty of committing a crime while in possession of a firearm. I further propose that the sentence be carried out with 24 months. I further propose that measures be taken to insure there are enough lawyers, paralegals, forensic experts, and judges on hand to properly expedite these cases in order to meet the 24 month deadline.

Once criminals understand that we have woken up from our stupor and are vigorously prosecuting and executing those who would kill us to commit a crime, they will stop using the guns.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I have never owned a gun or cared to. My Doctor when I was growing up kept a gun in his glove box in the car and his 8 year old son killed himself with it. Then a year later his 6 year killed himself playing with it. You would think he would have learned to lock it up the first time. Police have said it is usually someone in the home that is killed when there is a gun in the home.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveTopSecret.com

The problem is: the US was built on Violence, and still today the Majority of Americans condone the Mass killing of people in Iraq, Afghanistan, and soon to be Korea / Iran (if you can afford it)
I think it goes way beyond a constitution, in that you believe you have a GOD given right to kill anyone, anywhere and anytime. There are so many Guns in homes because they believe everybody in the country is trying to kill them. Everybody lives in fear of everybody else That's not a country built on Freedom, it's a country built on Fear.

That said though: If I Lived in the US right now, I'd be burying every type of Gun I can get my hands on in the back yard along with Fuel and Food.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

WOW, that is a saddddd story.

Have you heard about the one where the child was run over by a car!? Then a car ran over the person telling the story?

I think we should ban cars. I mean that is the best thing to do!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Doctors kill more people than guns do. Let's ban doctors!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Doctors kill more people than guns do. Let's ban doctors!

The US military Kills and tortures more People than all Dictators, Communist, Axis of Evil countries combined.
Lets Ban the US Military.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Gun control is indeed a problem, just flat out taking them away would not help anything. People should not be allowed to just go buy guns as long as you have money and your clean. They should have to take mandatory classes, training sessions, behavioral evaluations. Then after a year or two they should have something like you do with your drivers license. Would be a hassle and in most peoples minds a waste of money and time. But think at that point people will be knowledgeable, "better" people would have guns, and it could be watched closely. Raise the price on them or have a nice price to renew the license.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by njh1988
Gun control is indeed a problem, just flat out taking them away would not help anything. People should not be allowed to just go buy guns as long as you have money and your clean. They should have to take mandatory classes, training sessions, behavioral evaluations. Then after a year or two they should have something like you do with your drivers license. Would be a hassle and in most peoples minds a waste of money and time. But think at that point people will be knowledgeable, "better" people would have guns, and it could be watched closely. Raise the price on them or have a nice price to renew the license.

How receptive would people be if, every guns Ballistic Profile was in a Database along with the Owners Details and DNA.
The gun would no longer be anonnymous....

'Couse it won't stop 8 children being shot accidently every day, but they'd know what gun it was and who it belonged to.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

edit to add-Snakes like the rattler in my avatar cause all kinds of death.
I think we should ban snakes!
Then we should ban cars and trucks.

THEN, the BIGGEST cost of life is caused by not military, but the POLITICIANS that instruct the military to go to war!

I think we should BAN POLITICIANS!

edit on 18-1-2011 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveTopSecret.com

"I realized the only way to make the world a safer place was to make sure that everybody could be dangerous." Fallout 3

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I don't understand why people think gun control should be stricter. Washington D.C. has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. It also has one of the highest murder rates. No matter how much stricter the gun laws become, criminals will always find a way to get their hands on them. Does anyone want to know why? They are criminals! They operate outside of the law and they have complete disregard for the laws in this country. Just look at the drug trade, as someone stated in the video, we are constantly trying to limit the drug trade in this nation but it doesn't do much. If people want to get guns, especially criminals, they will find a way to get them.

One other thing I'd like to point out is that even if guns were completely banned and it was absolutely impossible for even the best criminals to get their hands on a weapon, what would stop them from using cars, bats, crowbars, wooden planks, metal pipes etc. as weapons? Nothing. So what would happen if too many people began dying of baseball bat injuries? Would we make it illegal for anyone other than professional baseball players or high school sports teams to own a baseball bat? Would we outlaw baseball all together? Would the country suddenly start screaming for stricter baseball bat laws?

Now obviously that would never happen but you do have to take into account the fact that criminals will always find a way to commit a crime, hence the term criminals.

By the way, mentally unstable people, including Jared Louhgner, also have the ability to swing a baseball bat.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wlffmn27

So If wanted to start my new career as a Criminal and wanted to knock over the corner shop....
First thing is, I gotta get a Gun. Just go to almost any house in any street, top drawer in the Bedroom and take your pick and the Bullets are either in the Bottom Drawer or other set of Drawers. Should be a lot easier than robbing a Gun Shop, although I don't understand why Gun Shops still keep getting robbed, but then I'm not Criminal or totally Stupid.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I have said it before and I will say it again. I am all for everyone having a gun. Where I live we don't have alot of crime, but that doesn't mean it still won't happen. Let someone break into your home and you are the one unarmed. Those burglars won't think twice before putting a bullet into you especially if they think you are unarmed. I have children and if someone breaks into my home or tries to rob me, I am shooting first and asking questions later. I feel safer with a gun in my house for the simple fact that I know I can protect myself and my children with that gun. I also have a gun so that we can hunt if need be. I can go out in the back yard and shoot one into bambi or thumper and have dinner on the table that night. Guns don't kill people, idiots who have a gun and have no idea what they are doing or are just psychotic enough, kill people. I used to feel like having a gun is not okay, but when someone broke into our storage shed, I had enough. I might never have to use the guns I have, but I know it is there if need be. Just saying.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join